Post-Game Talk: 2 points closer to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I wish the penguins played defense like this in front of Jarry. They always seem to play better behind the backups

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wasn't Puustinen supposed to be more of a goal scorer? Not that I'm complaining about his performance, but it's surprising that so far he's looked better as a passer than shooter when I thought it would be the opposite.
He was a goal scorer in the AHL but as someone just said, he can’t get his shot off in the NHL…I think he shoots too slow…but kudos to him for working on his overall game…he’s a really good passer and hopefully he works on getting his shot off quicker

At some point Sullivan is going to give Jarry a game. Wouldn't shock me if it's in Toronto. That one is kind of a house money game anyway - I think 3-2 from here out will be enough provided two of the wins are Detroit and NYI.
I’d be nervous about anything other than 3-1-1…think we’ll need 90 points

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Geno's parents better not go home until this miracle run continues. ;) And Bunting is exactly the kind of player we needed.

Great win and the week for us ends in a way that was completely unthinkable just six days ago.

Hard to think what might have been if the team had a functional PP, and weren't utterly inept in OT and shootouts, though. They did so well screening goalies at 5 on 5, on the PP, they literally move out of the way because they are addicted to the stupid deflections from the side and tic-tac-toe goals. Okay, Sid almost scored an amazing goal between his legs but this can't be a team's bread and butter on the PP, it just can't.

And when I saw Carter killing that penalty at the end... thank god for Ned and puck luck, I will tell you that.

But enough grumbling, this week has been completely unexpected and as much as I want Sully gone and suspect they will find a way to blow it in the end, it's impossible not to enjoy it in the here and now.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Wasn't Puustinen supposed to be more of a goal scorer? Not that I'm complaining about his performance, but it's surprising that so far he's looked better as a passer than shooter when I thought it would be the opposite.
His shot has a long load time. He can't get it off fast enough unless he has space.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If the Isles lose in regulation tonight, do the Pens move into 3rd in the metro because they have more regulation wins?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager is AHL eligible next year, I'd expect him to spend like a half season in the AHL and then get called up.

No, that was the full season. That was the CHL seasons that got screwed over by COVID. Moose Jaw only played in 24 games that season.

Savoie and Wright already failed this exact parameter. Savoie was not AHL eligible and IMO Wright only got an exception because he was awarded exceptional status.

Just bc he played 100% of games =/= full season. The rule is 25 games.

There’s no shot Yager is in the AHL next season. The CHL isn’t going to let 2 classes age out at once.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Savoie and Wright already failed this exact parameter. Savoie was not AHL eligible and IMO Wright only got an exception because he was awarded exceptional status.

Just bc he played 100% of games =/= full season. The rule is 25 games.

There’s no shot Yager is in the AHL next season. The CHL isn’t going to let 2 classes age out at once.

Where is this rule that says a full season is 25 games?

Yager played in every single game his WHL team had that year. I sincerely doubt they’re going to try to play the “it wasn’t a full season” card with him.

Yager’s situation was not “he played in a handful of games for the team”. He played in every game that team played in that year, COVID restrictions just caused that season to only have 24 games.

If the CHL tries to argue that no one accrued a year of service in the 2020-2021 season because of COVID, that would have impacted players already who have been trying to turn pro. That hasn't happened because the CHL would be idiots to try to make that claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren McCord

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Trying to be as objective as possible, the Pens really are better than any of the teams they're battling for the last playoff spot. So, it's down to coaching then, isn't it....

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Haven’t had my heart race over a hockey game like that in ages.

Karlsson and Bunting were awesome today.
Ditto. I fist pumped and yelled enough on that Bunting goal for my wife to hear 2 floors up. And I was pacing around the room during the last 2 minutes.

It felt like 2017 again. Like a hold the fort, rearguard action for all the marbles. Had blood pumping in places I had forgotten about

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I wish the penguins played defense like this in front of Jarry. They always seem to play better behind the backups
First off neds rebound control is worlds better. Secondly they don't have the same confidence in him. Those two things alone gets your d scrambling. Third less of an issue for pros but jarry doesn't strike me as a good team guy.

Reactions: metalan2 and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
First off neds rebound control is worlds better. Secondly they don't have the same confidence in him. Those two things alone gets your d scrambling. Third less of an issue for pros but jarry doesn't strike me as a good team guy.
I do think they’ll probably play Jarry Monday against Toronto…can’t give Ned 14 games in a row…he’s never played that amount straight probably ever lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad