Post-Game Talk: 2 points closer to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Flyers lose 6-2, Islanders are up 1-0 right now in the 3rd but they keep taking penalties. I'm watching the Preds-Islanders game now, the Predators are surging.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Flyers lose 6-2, Islanders are up 1-0 right now in the 3rd but they keep taking penalties. I'm watching the Preds-Islanders game now, the Predators are surging.
Unfortunate thing is Caps/Wings still have a game in hand on the Pens and would both be ahead of them if they won that game in hand. Gonna need help tomorrow too.

Be nice if Preds came back though

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Where is this rule that says a full season is 25 games?

Yager played in every single game his WHL team had that year. I sincerely doubt they’re going to try to play the “it wasn’t a full season” card with him.

Yager’s situation was not “he played in a handful of games for the team”. He played in every game that team played in that year, COVID restrictions just caused that season to only have 24 games.

“Also, notwithstanding the above, a Player who is at least 19 years of age and has played at least four seasons in CHL (minimum of 25 games per season) may be assigned to the minor league professional team affiliated with his NHL Club.”

This is taken directly from the old agreement that got posted online and was renewed to 2029.

They already showed their hand with Wright and Savoie. Yager is not going to eligible without a waiver.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
“Also, notwithstanding the above, a Player who is at least 19 years of age and has played at least four seasons in CHL (minimum of 25 games per season) may be assigned to the minor league professional team affiliated with his NHL Club.”

This is taken directly from the old agreement that got posted online and was renewed to 2029.

That would mean that the 2020-2021 season didn't count for a single player in the CHL for a year of service. I sincerely doubt that is how they're going to interpret that rule considering what happened with COVID.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunate thing is Caps/Wings still have a game in hand on the Pens and would both be ahead of them if they won that game in hand. Gonna need help tomorrow too.

Be nice if Preds came back though
They both have winnable games tomorrow too…but the good news is that the Pens just have to keep winning and they’ll make the playoffs…can they pull off a 9 in a row win streak?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That would mean that the 2020-2021 season didn't count for a single player in the CHL for a year of service. I sincerely doubt that is how they're going to interpret that rule considering what happened with COVID.

What are you missing? They already showed that is how they’re going to interpret it with Wright.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What are you missing? They already showed that is how they’re going to interpret it with Wright.

"Jeff Marek pointed out on Friday’s episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast that Wright skated in 24 total OHL games last year — which is one game short of the 25-game mark that the CHL constitutes as a played season. Technically, rounding that up would still only give Wright three full junior campaigns to his name, however, it appears the NHL and CHL are counting the 2020-21 COVID season — which the OHL did not participate in — as having been played."

The Wright confusion was about him only playing in 24 games in the 2022-2023 season. They gave him credit for the 2020-2021 season, which was wiped out entirely due to COVID. The same stipulation for the 2020-2021 season should apply to Yager as well.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
"Jeff Marek pointed out on Friday’s episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast that Wright skated in 24 total OHL games last year — which is one game short of the 25-game mark that the CHL constitutes as a played season. Technically, rounding that up would still only give Wright three full junior campaigns to his name, however, it appears the NHL and CHL are counting the 2020-21 COVID season — which the OHL did not participate in — as having been played."

The Wright confusion was about him only playing in 24 games in the 2022-2023 season. They gave him credit for the 2020-2021 season, which was wiped out entirely due to COVID.

After a waiver. Yager is not going to get a waiver because he only played in the 24 games because of a loophole (that Savoie also exploited the year before). CHL did not allow Savoie to play in the AHL this year.

The age part is key. Doesn’t matter about it not counting, the same birth years still matriculate. If the pandemic never occurred, Yager would’ve never been able to be AHL eligible in his D+2 because he’s born on the wrong side of Jan 1 anyway.

He’s not playing in the AHL next year. I don’t think it’s smart anyway. Terrible league for skilled prospects. He’s 165 lbs.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There is a way around this Yager to the AHL talk...start him in the NHL.

This is the team I was expecting to see this season. Ups and Downs, yes. But more wins than losses because of the top-end talent. Erik Karlsson is starting to figure things out with this team. He is the key to all of this. If he continues to play dominant hockey like he did today, we will be in good shape.

The two-headed franchise centers have been surreal this week.

As for Puustinen's shot, let's see him on the first power-play unit. Nobody else shoots on that unit. He should be playing on that left circle. Who fills out the PP units? If it is Reirden, he needs to be fired. If it is Sullivan, then no surprise there.

I want to see Poulin in the lineup next game. Enough with Jeff Carter playing center.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After a waiver. Yager is not going to get a waiver because he only played in the 24 games because of a loophole (that Savoie also exploited the year before). CHL did not allow Savoie to play in the AHL this year.

The age part is key. Doesn’t matter about it not counting, the same birth years still matriculate. If the pandemic never occurred, Yager would’ve never been able to be AHL eligible in his D+2 because he’s born on the wrong side of Jan 1 anyway.

He’s not playing in the AHL next year. I don’t think it’s smart anyway. Terrible league for skilled prospects. He’s 165 lbs.

Again, you're comparing apples to oranges. Yager wasn't able to play in more than 24 games in a season because the league literally didn't have more than 24 games in a season. You're comparing Savoie, who only played in 22 games in a full season (in 2019-2020), and Wright, who only played in 24 games in a full season, to Yager, who only played in 24 games in a season with 24 games. The direct comparison is how the CHL interpreted Wright's 2020-2021 season, where they gave him a full season of eligibility without him even playing a game.

If Wright is getting credit for the season, there is zero reason to think that Yager won't be getting credit for that season either.

The Savoie comparison doesn't work because Savoie wasn't AHL eligible due to his 2019-2020 season, not his 2020-2021 season. Had he played in 3 more games in 2019-2020 in the WHL, he would have been AHL eligible this year. At the start of this year, Savoie only had 3 full years of service this year, including the 2020-2021 season.

Not only are you wrong with interpreting Savoie's AHL eligibility, you're also wrong with this. The rule is extremely clear: it's 4 seasons of service OR turning 20 before January 1st. It's not both, it's or.

Edit:

CHL players are typically ineligible to play in the AHL until they are 20 years old on or before December 31 of the given season. Shane Wright won’t turn 20 until January 5, missing that cutoff by just five days. Another way to get out of the CHL-NHL agreement is to play four full seasons in the CHL, something Wright would have achieved had the 2020-21 OHL season not been canceled.

Yager misses the cutoff by only 3 days, being born on January 3rd, and fits the same exact description "having four full seasons in the CHL" with the lost COVID season. I see no reason to think Yager wouldn't get the same ruling as Wright with this.

Let me reprhase this. If they're using the same logic the OHL used to deem Wright as eligible, I don't see a justification for Yager not being eligible. Yager fits the exact argument that Wright had regarding AHL eligibility, but it's a different league and it's up to the WHL. He should be viewed as AHL eligible, but it's impossible to say what the WHL will say.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Flyers lose yesterday and today, Caps and Red Wings lose yesterday, Pens win today, Isles win today.

5/6 results went their way. Unfortunately Varlamov was hot and the Preds couldn't score on their numerous good looks.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
They both have winnable games tomorrow too…but the good news is that the Pens just have to keep winning and they’ll make the playoffs…can they pull off a 9 in a row win streak?
Buffalo is still in the mix and are due against the Wings
Flyers lose yesterday and today, Caps and Red Wings lose yesterday, Pens win today, Isles win today.

5/6 results went their way. Unfortunately Varlamov was hot and the Preds couldn't score on their numerous good looks.
Let’s Go Buffalo

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
View attachment 847147

Playoff odds up to 40% now

I'm a believer. 2/3 matches went well for us today.
I thought they'd be 10 points out right about now.

If you told anyone on this board they'd be right there in the mix one month ago, or even two weeks ago, you'd get nothing but laff reaccs on your post. No one here would have believed this for a second.

2 weeks ago. A month a go I had hope. Then they proceeded to lose and lose.
Ivany is great! We have been searching all year for that # 3RD… ruhwedel, Shea, Ludvig,etc. and st. Ivany been there all season long…. He is your current #3rd and your future #2 RD. Calm, big, decent skater, and makes good outlet passes.
Agreed. I did not have him on my radar at all but in the bottom pairing role he is thriving.
i guess i'll ask it again. is guentzel for bunting the new neal for hornqvist?
No. But Bunting is doing great for us.
I think the Guentzel deal is going to end up being a massive win for the Penguins long-term, just because Guentzel probably won't be returning to Carolina and Bunting and Koivunen look like they can be legitimate contributors for a while for the Penguins.
Yes i agree. Bunting + assets is better than just Guentzel leaving after this year. If we were a top 2 metro team we keep Guentzel and keep running it back. Which if we were at the top is not a bad thing to do.
Jeff Carter out multiple times on the PK and in the last 5 mins. It's like you're playing a permadeath video game, sweat it out for every level, get to the last one, and then you give your 7 year old daughter the controller.
Agreed. I don't mind him going out to PK a bit and play as 12th forward but his usage when it starts crawling into top 9 territory does not bode well.
Yeah I'm not crazy about O'Connor on L1 but it's clearly working, so why try to mess with it? He can also be a stopgap until Yager or Koivunen takes his spot hopefully next year.

I really like their 1st and 3rd lines right now. If they can upgrade on Rakell for Malkin's RW, I'd really like their entire top-9 in general.
Yea same. He isn't top line caliber but for the overall line up does do better.

Makes the third line better. Malkin & Bunting do well. And well Crosby will make it work.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yager misses the cutoff by only 3 days, being born on January 3rd, and fits the same exact description "having four full seasons in the CHL" with the lost COVID season. I see no reason to think Yager wouldn't get the same ruling as Wright with this.

Let me reprhase this. If they're using the same logic the OHL used to deem Wright as eligible, I don't see a justification for Yager not being eligible. Yager fits the exact argument that Wright had regarding AHL eligibility, but it's a different league and it's up to the WHL. He should be viewed as AHL eligible, but it's impossible to say what the WHL will say.

Dawg you’re missing the point. Yager got wasn’t supposed to be the WHL in 20-21. The WHL drafts early, the prospects can only play in more than 3 or 5 games (I forget) until their leagues end then they’re not capped. Obviously unless they get exceptional status.

Yager only played 24 games because his AAA (or whatever they call it in BC) season was done. Maybe he could play in 20ish games in a normal season (like Savoie did the year before) but it wouldn’t have meant he accrued a CHL year. It just so happened because of COVID that 24 games was all the games.

Wright was completely different already completed a full OHL season bc he was granted ES. It’s not the same situation at all.

If you want further proof look at the season Yager was named WHL rookie of the year.

The W is not letting 2 birth years matriculate at once. Lot of other players in same boat as Yager.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I have to say, seeing EK and Geno celebrate passionately together is real cool. As an outsider it has felt like they haven't always been on the same page this year ... in some ways I think they are quite different in the way they approach offense .... but seeing them connect for two goals was sweet. On Bunting's goal EK hugged Geno before they joined the pile.

This direct approach the team has adopted on offense is working, keep it up. It makes sense, they have Karl and Letang as the hurlers, and Sid and Geno are so tough to contain when they get inside leverage. Geno is scoring goals because he's getting netfront, something he wasn't doing during his goal slumps this year. And Bunting has been good with him. The dude just makes stuff happen, which is never a bad thing to have alongside the super skill guys.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
First period was unreal. Second was solid. Third was..
Carter's play/usage has me begging for Acciari back. That one small swap would (probably) do wonders alone.
It's crazy how certain small additions/subtractions can change the trajectory of things. Jarry, a loser, has been replaced. Graves awful play has been replaced. Pussty/Doc are getting big roles. Maybe not so big for Puusty but still a role. And St Ivany? Kids been great. Hope he's the real deal.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad