Proposal: 2 Pens trades (COL and VGK)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I would part with Karlsson as there are multiple players just like him in Haula, and Lindberg.

Yes Haula, Lindberg and even Eakin, but that doesn't mean we should trade Karlsson.
All those guys will get better opportunities in Vegas and will likely up their value. The ones we should trade till the deadline are the UFA in Neal, Perron and Marchessault

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Yes Haula, Lindberg and even Eakin, but that doesn't mean we should trade Karlsson.
All those guys will get better opportunities in Vegas and will likely up their value. The ones we should trade till the deadline are the UFA in Neal, Perron and Marchessault

What would you want in a trade for Marchessault?

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia

Getting more opportunities on a bad team can go the other way in terms of value.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

It depends if he would sign an extension with Vegas or not, if he signs we could trade him later. At the moment I would want a 1st round pick in 2018 and a plus depending on the pick. With his cap hit of 750k for this season he might be worth even more for some teams.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
First trade:

Pitt: Karlsson+ Pit 2018 4th
The Pit 4th has been traded around. First to Tampa for Mark Streit and then to Vegas for Expansion draft.

Vegas: Kuhnackl+2nd

Second trade:

Pitt: Soderberg at 50%

Col: Pouliot+Pit 2018 4th

Thoughts? Who adds?

I would think that PIT is adding if they're getting COL to retain 7.5m.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Soderberg is still a good player, but 50% retention is too much to eat for three years, especially since that drops the Pen's portion to less than 2.5m which is an absolute steal for a guy who should be good for 45-50 points on a high powered Pens offense. I'll take a shot at Pouliot while retaining enough to take it down below 4m for you, but if you want to reduce his cap hit by 50% more than a 4th has to come back. That's 7m in salary you're asking the Avs to pay out to watch him play somewhere else, that's worth way more than Pouliot and a 4th.

Oh, and we don't need to pay to dump his salary. We have no cap issues at all, and no major contracts to sign until the last year of his deal.

PIT can't afford him unless 40-50% is retained.

Neutral fan here. I think if you plan on acquiring Soderberg, then Kuhnackl would be more useful than Karlsson, so no need for this trade. As for the AVs trade, I think if you give up Pouliot, you can get more thant Soderberg, but you cold build around this base.

I don't know for the Avs fan, but maybe an all-in trade like Pouliot-Hagelin-high pick for Landeskog?

PIT has zero center depth even in their prospects. Blueger appears to be the best, and right now even him becoming a #3C is a longshot. Sodo has 3 years left on his deal, but that still isn't leaving us with anything, as it's unlikely anyone drafted in that span will be ready. Karlsson gives PIT some options - both for injuries and just in general over the next few seasons.

PS. There's no deal to be made around Hagelin and Pouliot for Landy.

If he can't break out in a sheltered role on the best team in the league he won't move the gauge ad a fringe bust prospect on the worst team in the league (give or take...no offense Aves fans trying to back up your perceived value here).

Two train's of thought here.
A) the fact that Pittsburgh is the best team in the league, and has/had one of the deepest bluelines in the league (our #9/10D to start the season averaged 18 minutes a night over 35 games). So the fact that he couldn't crack the lineup for any period of time doesn't mean all that much. It was a very deep lineup with our #6D (when healthy) playing within 3 minutes of our #2D (closest gap across the league) and as the best team in the league, we're not really able to cater to someone and allow them to grow into a role. As the defending champs, there isn't an easy game/night in the schedule, as we're a target for every team in the league - even more so going into next season as back to back champs.
B) The flip side of that is we had soooo many injuries (132 man games lost just to our blueliners), and while DP was part of that and missed 20 games, most of those missed games (to our other D) were lost at the end of the season when he was healthy. The fact that he didn't get games down the stretch when Ruhwedel was playing 19/21 minutes a night or in the playoffs, is a pretty good indication that he's been passed over.

So while sure he has "potential" as any young player does (he's only 23), and I think in general his "value" around the league is likely higher then what Pens fan's think it is... the odds are much better that he'll be a bust vs him being an NHL regular at this point.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Zero interest in Soderberg even at 50%. Karlsson would be a good trade

WHY!? He's played 4 years in this league. In 3 of them, he put up 48, 44 and 51pts. And while last season was a disaster, his coach did him no favors and the team (sry COL fans) blows. Him at 2.375 (50%) or 2.85 (40%) is a very good deal - especially as he'd likely come fairly cheaply.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
PIT can't afford him unless 40-50% is retained.

If that's true, then why does Duchene to Pittsburgh keep coming up over and over again? If you can't afford 4m for Soderberg with 20% retention, how are you going to fit 6m for Duchene under the cap?

If you need us to pay Soderberg 7 million dollars and change to go play for a different team or there's no deal, I see absolutely nothing you could offer that is worth that to a team who just lost hundreds of season ticket holders and slashed prices for those of us who remained.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If that's true, then why does Duchene to Pittsburgh keep coming up over and over again? If you can't afford 4m for Soderberg with 20% retention, how are you going to fit 6m for Duchene under the cap?

Because if Maatta is going the other way, that's only a 2m difference (between OM/MD). But if Sodo is coming here, there wouldn't be major salary going the other way... thus significant retention for his 4.75m salary would be needed. PIT would replace Maatta with Ruhwedel (who makes 650k) and pray that the blueline could stay healthy.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Soderberg is an interesting reclamation project but I'm not sure it would work as Pens would need a lot of salary retained which would up the price considerably.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If he can't break out in a sheltered role on the best team in the league he won't move the gauge ad a fringe bust prospect on the worst team in the league (give or take...no offense Aves fans trying to back up your perceived value here).

hold on. just stop, and take a little time and think.......would it not be harder to break in on a team of the best players than a lesser team?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The issue is he literally can't get ice time on the Penguins because the Penguins are very deep in depth defenseman.

I'd do Pouliot and a 4th for Soderberg at $3.5 million, I think that's a little more realistic than having Soderberg at 50% retained.

Vegas will not do any trades for non waiver exempt NHL'ers. They are overstocked in every position.

Every trade must be picks and / or prospects.

I would part with Karlsson as there are multiple players just like him in Haula, and Lindberg.

What prospect would Pitt give for him realistically?

I'd offer Blueger and a pick for Karlsson, Blueger projects to end up similar to what Karlsson is right now.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens fan here. I've pumped this trade before, but Soderberg at 33ish% retained for Pouliot + is a deal I'd be really happy to see. He needs a change of scenery out of COL and would slot in wonderfully on the Pens 3rd line.

I'd be willing to go as high as:

To Pitt: Soderberg @3m (1.75m retained)

To Col: Pouliot + 2nd

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pens fan here. I've pumped this trade before, but Soderberg at 33ish% retained for Pouliot + is a deal I'd be really happy to see. He needs a change of scenery out of COL and would slot in wonderfully on the Pens 3rd line.

I'm a fan of this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I liked Soderberg with Boston, but haven't caught much of him in Colorado. Outside of caphit, my concern for the Pens is age. He will be 32 in October. Do we really want a 32 year old center signed for 3 more years? If so, they might as well have just signed Bones who is 29.

So unless Colorado retains over 1.5MM, I don't think this deal makes sense for the Pens.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK

I think that's a mutually beneficial trade that both teams should be all over. I fully expect Soderberg to do well anywhere but Colorado.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Despite the awful season, Soderberg at 50% retained for the next three seasons would have pretty good value if it was thrown up around the league. He posted a career year just a year ago. Even if he isn't producing he's still a solid two way centre. I don't think his production last year is an indication of the player he is. You don't go from a 48 point season to a 44 point season to a 51 point season and then fall off the face off the earth into a 14 point season.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
No, Vegas would want picks.
Karlsson is our youngest C with NHL experience, no need to trade him.

Yup. I get the feeling Karlsson isn't going anywhere. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a Jarnkrok-type extension during the season: 4-5 years with a low cap hit in the $2M range. He's the perfect age to grow with this team.

If Pittsburgh wants a Center from us, Eakin is the best candidate from our vantage point.

This is a tough question. Virtually everyone on the VGK roster today can be put into one of two categories: "long-term piece for the future" or "expiring contract who can be traded for picks in the next season or two". Marchessault is right in the middle of those two groups - he's somewhat young, but he also has a LOT of value due to his low cap hit and expiring contract. Honestly, we really won't know what his future is until we start playing games and get a sense for how he fits into the longterm plans. There are some on our boards who want to sign him to a long extension, and others (like me) who see more value in him as a trade chip. I guess it all depends on his contract demands, how he produces this season, and what other teams are offering in trade.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I would almost want to move March right now. I don't think that he is likely to score 30 goals but once, maybe twice more in his career if ever.

With that, and the best cap hit per goal in the league by a wiiiiide margin, I don't see his value being any higher than it is right now unless he repeats, which again I believe is unlikely.

Florida has made some dumb decision, but to let a top young goal scorer go for peanuts makes me believe last season was an outlier for him as well and they didn't think as much of him as his stats imply.

Blynasty

Jun 14, 2017
Swede line:
Hagelin - Soderberg - Hornqvist

Penguins fans in here are getting a little bit too quick to the hate. The guy had one bad year and didn't mesh with the coach. Are we all short-sighted enough to not see what Bylsma and Johnston did for a number of players on the Penguins? I think this trade makes perfect sense for both the Av's and the Pens.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Colorado wouldn't eat $7M for Pouliot and a 4th round pick. Come on now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I liked Soderberg with Boston, but haven't caught much of him in Colorado. Outside of caphit, my concern for the Pens is age. He will be 32 in October. Do we really want a 32 year old center signed for 3 more years? If so, they might as well have just signed Bones who is 29.

So unless Colorado retains over 1.5MM, I don't think this deal makes sense for the Pens.

If he's coming in with a ~3m cap hit, that would be the least of my concerns. The good news, is Sodo didn't come over to the NHL until late (only 4 NHL seasons and no AHL seasons). Which means he likely doesn't have the same wear and tear many others would have at the same age. Besides... at 3m, moving him would be significantly less of an issue for us at some point down the road when he has 1-2 yrs on his deal.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't get why people are against the high retention? not like Colorado is doing anything anytime soon. Hagelin-Soderberg-Kessel would be a decent 3rd line.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't get why people are against the high retention? not like Colorado is doing anything anytime soon. Hagelin-Soderberg-Kessel would be a decent 3rd line.

From COL? Because while they're not a cap team, I imagine that they still have some sort of budget they need to adhere to - just like most teams do - even if some of those budgets exceed the cap. And it's not like 7m is chump change, but then it's easy to spend someone else's money.

One way of looking at it, is spending 2.5m, 2.5m, 2m to make him go away is cheaper then spending twice that. However they would then need to pay his replacement... even if that's a young kid, that's still another 700k or so a season... which means you're now spending 9m to replace a player that's costing you 14m. Is the downgrade from Sodo to whomever and getting X assets from Pittsburgh worth saving 5m over 3 years? Depending on his role and the return, perhaps. But retaining 50% doesn't leave you with much savings there at all.

I think for him and COL, it will really depend on how the coach plans on using him this season and if they've sorted out whatever differences they have - and then how much COL is willing to retain, and what sort of asking price they're looking for to do so.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
From COL? Because while they're not a cap team, I imagine that they still have some sort of budget they need to adhere to - just like most teams do - even if some of those budgets exceed the cap. And it's not like 7m is chump change, but then it's easy to spend someone else's money.

One way of looking at it, is spending 2.5m, 2.5m, 2m to make him go away is cheaper then spending twice that. However they would then need to pay his replacement... even if that's a young kid, that's still another 700k or so a season... which means you're now spending 9m to replace a player that's costing you 14m. Is the downgrade from Sodo to whomever and getting X assets from Pittsburgh worth saving 5m over 3 years? Depending on his role and the return, perhaps. But retaining 50% doesn't leave you with much savings there at all.

I think for him and COL, it will really depend on how the coach plans on using him this season and if they've sorted out whatever differences they have - and then how much COL is willing to retain, and what sort of asking price they're looking for to do so.

I think it will also depend on how soon we fire Bednar. If he stays the whole season, Soderberg's career could be basically toast and his contract unmovable. Bednar is too stubborn to give him a better deal. All the more reason why he needs to be fired into the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad