Proposal: 2 Pens trades (COL and VGK)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't get why people are against the high retention? not like Colorado is doing anything anytime soon. Hagelin-Soderberg-Kessel would be a decent 3rd line.

The Kroenkes have deep pockets, but the team is hurting big time after last season. A lot of season ticket holders cancelled, and for those of us who stayed our prices went down. That's a big kick in the ass financially. Not to mention that if Duchene gets moved, he's a big time butts-in-seats player in this town for the casuals, and he sells a lot of jerseys.

Asking a team in that position to pay 7m for a reclamation project and a 4th isn't realistic.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Asking a team in that position to pay 7m for a reclamation project and a 4th isn't realistic.

The flip side of that is they are saving money - even if it is only 5m. I'll be the first to admit that it's not much... but if money is (or could be) an issue... saving 5m is still saving 5m.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think if the Penguins are trading for a Vegas center, Lindberg probably makes the most sense. I think Lindberg to the Penguins for say Kuhnhackl (just as a NHL winger to replace Lindberg) and a 2nd would work out extremely well for both sides.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I think if the Penguins are trading for a Vegas center, Lindberg probably makes the most sense. I think Lindberg to the Penguins for say Kuhnhackl (just as a NHL winger to replace Lindberg) and a 2nd would work out extremely well for both sides.

No, I'd say Lindberg isn't on the table, as he projects to play in our top 6 for the near future (and possibly beyond). Remember we passed up the chance to take Raanta, Grabner or Fast to get him. There are several other players on our roster that should return a 2nd, and Kuhnhackl does nothing for us moving forward.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No, I'd say Lindberg isn't on the table, as he projects to play in our top 6 for the near future (and possibly beyond). Remember we passed up the chance to take Raanta, Grabner or Fast to get him. There are several other players on our roster that should return a 2nd, and Kuhnhackl does nothing for us moving forward.

Grabner would have been a wasted pick. Fast less so as a 25 yr old RW, but how much value or upside does he have? Raanta would have made little sense for LV. He's a UFA in 12 months, and the odds that he would have either A) established himself enough to have any real trade value is minimal and B) why would he sign an extension in LV with MAF and Pickard there?

Lindberg was always the guy I had LV picking. So while I could see him getting traded... I don't think it would be for Kuhnhackl and a 2nd. I don't think Wilson has enough value, but I think it would have to be at least him and a 2nd as the starting point.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Grabner would have been a wasted pick. Fast less so as a 25 yr old RW, but how much value or upside does he have? Raanta would have made little sense for LV. He's a UFA in 12 months, and the odds that he would have either A) established himself enough to have any real trade value is minimal and B) why would he sign an extension in LV with MAF and Pickard there?

Lindberg was always the guy I had LV picking. So while I could see him getting traded... I don't think it would be for Kuhnhackl and a 2nd. I don't think Wilson has enough value, but I think it would have to be at least him and a 2nd as the starting point.

My point was that if all we wanted was a 2nd round pick out of the NY Rangers expansion selection, we could have gotten that for Grabner at the deadline, or Raanta right after the expansion draft. No, I assume we took Lindberg because...we want to keep Lindberg.

I know I've mentioned this in some other threads but guys like Wilson and Kuhnhackl don't really do much for us. They likely won't be on the team in 2-3 years, and they wouldn't really return much in trade to make it worth it to acquire them and have them on our roster in the first place.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My point was that if all we wanted was a 2nd round pick out of the NY Rangers expansion selection, we could have gotten that for Grabner at the deadline, or Raanta right after the expansion draft. No, I assume we took Lindberg because...we want to keep Lindberg.

I know I've mentioned this in some other threads but guys like Wilson and Kuhnhackl don't really do much for us. They likely won't be on the team in 2-3 years, and they wouldn't really return much in trade to make it worth it to acquire them and have them on our roster in the first place.

Will Lindberg even be on the team in 2-3 years? He's a UFA in 2 years and he's 25 already, he's older than Wilson. I haven't seen many Vegas fans putting Lindberg in their top-6, I've actually probably seen none so far. I keep seeing Lindberg at highest a 3rd line LW in the lineups Knights fans are posotong.

Then are you not going to trade Eakin either? Because I keep seeing Vegas fans saying they'd trade Eakin, but McPhee I believe said that he really wanted Eakin and Vegas picked Eakin over McKenzie, Lehtonen and Cracknell.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No, I'd say Lindberg isn't on the table, as he projects to play in our top 6 for the near future (and possibly beyond). Kuhnhackl does nothing for us moving forward.

Exactly. Vegas didn't sign Lindberg to trade him.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Will Lindberg even be on the team in 2-3 years? He's a UFA in 2 years and he's 25 already, he's older than Wilson. I haven't seen many Vegas fans putting Lindberg in their top-6, I've actually probably seen none so far. I keep seeing Lindberg at highest a 3rd line LW in the lineups.

Then are you not going to trade Eakin either?

Once Neal, Perron and Marchessault are traded Lindberg will likely be in the Top 6.
Trading Eakin now at his lowest value ever makes no sense.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Will Lindberg even be on the team in 2-3 years? He's a UFA in 2 years and he's 25 already, he's older than Wilson. I haven't seen many Vegas fans putting Lindberg in their top-6, I've actually probably seen none so far. I keep seeing Lindberg at highest a 3rd line LW in the lineups Knights fans are posotong.

No one really knows what our lineup will look like. The question is where do Lindberg, Haula and Eakin slot in. I think Lindberg is the 2C, and Eakin/Haula are on the 3rd line. Until we actually start seeing line combinations in training camp, we can only guess.

And yes, I believe Lindberg will be on this team in 2 years. His UFA status means nothing in that regard, just like Schmidt.

Then are you not going to trade Eakin either? Because I keep seeing Vegas fans saying they'd trade Eakin, but McPhee I believe said that he really wanted Eakin and Vegas picked Eakin over McKenzie, Lehtonen and Cracknell.

If you're really going to compare McKenzie, Lehtonen and Cracknell to Grabner, Raanta and Fast then I'm afraid I don't have much more to offer in this conversation...

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
So the Pens give up Kuhn, Pouliot and a second and get two options tailor-made for 3C and 4C? Sign me up.

Yeah, don't want Soderberg for free even if COL were allowed to retain 75%. Karlsson deal I would do in a heartbeat.

Soderberg is 31 and will be leaving a bad environment. The Pens have been a great team for reclamation projects and have a strong locker room. I think we could do alot worse than to get a pivot like Soderberg when the alternatives will be alot pricier than this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you're really going to compare McKenzie, Lehtonen and Cracknell to Grabner, Raanta and Fast then I'm afraid I don't have much more to offer in this conversation...

That's a completely valid comparison to make though. Like how is that far off? Fast had 21 points in 68 games last year and is 25 years old. McKenzie had 16 points in 53 games and is 26 years old. Both Cracknell and Grabner are older bottom-6 pending UFAs, although Grabner is better than Cracknell. Lehtonen and Raanta are both lower end starters.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Pens fan here. I've pumped this trade before, but Soderberg at 33ish% retained for Pouliot + is a deal I'd be really happy to see. He needs a change of scenery out of COL and would slot in wonderfully on the Pens 3rd line.

I'd be willing to go as high as:

To Pitt: Soderberg @3m (1.75m retained)

To Col: Pouliot + 2nd

This Avs fan would love that, since I don't think Bednar has the interpersonal skills to repair that relationship.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Pens fan here. I've pumped this trade before, but Soderberg at 33ish% retained for Pouliot + is a deal I'd be really happy to see. He needs a change of scenery out of COL and would slot in wonderfully on the Pens 3rd line.

I'd be willing to go as high as:

To Pitt: Soderberg @3m (1.75m retained)

To Col: Pouliot + 2nd

I have zero problem dealing DP. I really don't think he will amount to much at all in the NHL, if he ever makes it up to stay in Pittsburgh. A change of scenery might be good for him. Heck, he is top six on Colorado right now. That tells you about the blueline there.

That said, I place more value on late second round picks then most. There is a reason why our prospect list is ranked DFL of all NHL organizations right now. It's because we trade picks for crap, rentals or reclamation projects. Soderberg is a guy coming off a crap year and is sort of a reclamation project. Even with the retained money, that seems like a lot to give up for someone who played 80 games and got 14 points. If you get the Soderberg prior to last year, then you do it. If not, its a lousy deal for the Pens. Carter Rowney had half the points that Soderberg had last year in 53 fewer regular-season games. Let that sink in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad