Post-Game Talk: #2| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | June 15th | 8:00 PM | F/L 4-2

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dont want to take anything away from Tampa. They came out and earned the win. That being said the refs were a shit show both ways and definitely influenced the game. This was a horrible and game altering miss

i think the way you state it is perfect No one is saying TB won because of the Refs. There were crap calls on both sides. They certainly influenced this game, after the bad Point call, they seemed hell bent to overcompensate for that call by giving TB calls and not calling penalties committed on Isles players. That's influencing the game. Giving us a make up call when the game is essentially over at 4-1 to make the boxscore look better, is not the same impact as giving a penalty when the score is 2-1 or 3-1.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
one thing though, is it think the mystique is off TBL, gotta respect their skill and they should rightfully be favored, but no reason to think that we can't win this thing if we just wear them down and play our game.
Here's the thing though, Tampa is a well built team and I don't think we can just hope to wear them down. Frankly speaking, they initiated the physical play tonight which we knew they were going to do and it definitely worked in their favour. I'm not saying we can't beat them, just that it is going to be a huge grind (for us) to do so.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
Here's the thing though, Tampa is a well built team and I don't think we can just hope to wear them down. Frankly speaking, they initiated the physical play tonight which we knew they were going to do and it definitely worked in their favour. I'm not saying we can't beat them, just that it is going to be a huge grind (for us) to do so.

The Islanders need to be smarter in how they react - which they can be but weren't tonight.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
They are defending champs, we can beat them but it’s not going to be easy by any stretch. They hit back tonight and we had some turnovers in our own end that led to goals. It’s going to be a long series clearly

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I hope it won't affect him too much, but we know Pageau will be playing hurt. I don't see how 48 hours is going to make him whole again. But who knows, maybe they have some great athletic therapists.
I don’t think it’s that bad, he wouldn’t have sat on bench and I got feeling he would have kept playing had it not gotten to 4-1. I also think when they got the goal and Zajac took the draw was probably a product of Pageau shutting it down and not wanting him to get out their cold. Pageau is going to play if he can walk, for all we know he got hurt against penguins and it’s just a manageable thing.

Reactions: buud

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Got the road split- and if not for some world class goaltending (credit Vasi), and some iron (that’s hockey)- tonight may well have been different. Just have to keep grinding, and punishing wherever we can.

At the end of the day, 1-1 in the Semis against the Cup Champs headed back to the ol’ barn? Whatever happens- just be sure to enjoy the hell out of this guys. Especially those of us that remember the days when Mariusz Czerchawski and Claude Lapointe were literally our only 2 NHL quality forwards…

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Beau has re-entered his frosty period again, thankfully Barzy has picked it up in his place. Hopefully the home cookin gets him going again. Already being down a goal scorer in Lee, we need as many scorers still playing to beat the defending champs.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
First off, I am glad they did not trade Lee(from last year). As to this subject, we have to turn the physicality up in order to make this a series. Hedman is hurt already, and we have to match their hits and see what happens.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The Islanders need to be smarter in how they react - which they can be but weren't tonight.
They got us a few times on stretch passes and we just weren’t as good in neutral zone but it wasn’t bad and they weren’t totally outplayed either. We took too many penalties even though they only scored once it hurt momentum down in the third.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I don't think the isles had much energy in either game but they executed like shit tonight

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It’s going to be a long series.

Happy with the split heading back to Long Island.

Refs have to call that on Point - otherwise the refs run the risk of losing the game.

I don’t think it was a make up call I legit think they just missed it.

You need games like this in a playoff series - pushes your back to the wall, humbles you, makes you dig deeper, makes you angry-

I expect a great game this Thursday.

I’d like to see one change - Wahlstrom in for Leo and play him with Barzal - it’s time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTrotts19

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Jesus this place really sucks after a loss.

It's awful. I'm trying to check in for updates on JGP, but I'm fooling myself like I'm gonna hear anything from this regime. Oh well, the sane of us go on to game 3. This is fun.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If they can replicate what they did in game 1 three more times, they can advance. I’m not so convinced.

I do agree with those stating that they need to increase the physicality. Use what got you to this point.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Any word on Varly, he looked good in game 1; I hope this doesn’t set him back, as he seemed to be finding his rhythm to past two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad