Post-Game Talk: #2 | Flyers at Senators | October 14, 2023 | Flyers lose 5-2

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is why selling everything off once you had Michkov was also the thing to do. Want to minimize time spent idly sucking and stuck in neutral as you build too slowly to get anywhere? Do it all in a short period instead of stretching it out for no reason.

They're Hextalling again. This lineup is Hextallian. The processes driving it are Hextallian.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
This is why selling everything off once you had Michkov was also the thing to do. Want to minimize time spent idly sucking and stuck in neutral as you build too slowly to get anywhere? Do it all in a short period instead of stretching it out for no reason.

They're Hextalling again. This lineup is Hextallian. The processes driving it are Hextallian.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know this is a joke, and I assume you’re referring to people saying bottom out. Just to clear the air on my stance, I don’t believe any coaching staff or player should attempt to purposefully fail. The objectives may primarily be to develop youth, but that’s not the same thing as actively loosing. I don’t subscribe to that idea.

If a team decides that it’s in the best option to ‘tank’ for the best chance at high draft picks, that’s more a directive for a GM. Moving veterans out, not bringing in spent vets to take roles from younger players, hiring a coaching staff who understands what the process is etc. that’s all GM based. Doing this is going to result in losses, but that doesn’t mean it’s a failed season.

That lineup I posted is an attempt to put young players in positions to be most effective; Give Frost the opportunity to expand his playmaking skill set; Give Brink and Tippett a possession dominant center; give Foerster an opportunity to play consistently with quality supporting players.

A lot of the other stuff you wrote I just don’t agree with, but I am not going to go down that path right now.
Chicago has brought in a half dozen veterans, I thought they were tanking?

The reality is unless you want to rush prospects and have them "drown in deep water," you want cheap veterans on short-term deals you can bury or move out when prospects show they're ready to start.

Gauthier and Michkov are not going to spend a year in the AHL, Bonk maybe.
The guys who are "blocked" tend to be marginal prospects, or players who bloom later, who won't be hurt by additional seasoning in the AHL.

Andrae is a good example, watching him you can see flashes but also that he's over matched right now in the NHL. If you keep him up, you have to shelter him while he works through his mistakes - if you put him in bad situations he'll be overwhelmed.

Reactions: tucson83

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

The reality is unless you want to rush prospects and have them "drown in deep water," you want cheap veterans on short-term deals you can bury or move out when prospects show they're ready to start.

Gauthier and Michkov are not going to spend a year in the AHL, Bonk maybe.
The guys who are "blocked" tend to be marginal prospects, or players who bloom later, who won't be hurt by additional seasoning in the AHL.

Andrae is a good example, watching him you can see flashes but also that he's over matched right now in the NHL. If you keep him up, you have to shelter him while he works through his mistakes - if you put him in bad situations he'll be overwhelmed.

I am begging you to stop doing this. At best, it makes no sense at all. At worst, it’s willfully dishonest.

There is no parallel between the two orgs. Hell, look at the trade they made if you’d like a nice summary.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Did they by any chance tank in a season where they landed, I don't know, someone like Bedard, which may have changed the dynamic of where they are now? Or maybe were their cupboards so empty that there aren't many to be blocked? Or maybe some other totally not on purpose missed context?

The rest of your post is just a giant LOL with nothing else within.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost took a step up last year when he was allowed to. You forget that already?

I understand that you have to say these ridiculous things because it's the only option when you feel you have to defend everything the team has ever done, but I promise you it is embarrassing.
He led the team in ES scoring last season despite getting screwed around by Torts for two months. But any 23 year old could do that. Well not Cates. And not Tippett either.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Did they by any chance tank in a season where they landed, I don't know, someone like Bedard, which may have changed the dynamic of where they are now? Or maybe were their cupboards so empty that there aren't many to be blocked? Or maybe some other totally not on purpose missed context?

The rest of your post is just a giant LOL with nothing else within.
Bedard might be better than Michkov, but the gap ain't that wide.
And Michkov is better than half the #1 picks teams tanked for. Or the #2 picks the Flyers "tanked" for.

Chicago had a lot of draft picks the past few years, Flyers have a lot of draft picks last year and this year, yes, it takes time for those players to arrive. Meanwhile we have a lot of middle round picks and failed 2nd rd picks in LHV. Exactly who is top 9/top 5 ready?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I would prioritize my players strengths. I would put my best offensive winger with better offensive talent. I would deploy actually competent PP half wall players. I would scratch the defender who can’t handle the puck. I wouldn’t have 2/3rd off my 4th line lead the team in 5v5 ice time. They did this all last season.
My lineup would be something like below.

Farabee-Frost-TK (11-13min per night)
Brink-Couts-Tippett (10-12mins per night)
Cates-Poehling-Atkinson (9-11 mins per night)
Foerster-Laughton-Hathaway (8-10 mins per night)

Zamula-Sanhiem (16-18 min)
York-Walker (16-18 min)
Andrae-Risto (14-16 min)
Seeler

Pp1-Couts, Farabee, Brink, Frost, York/Sanheim
PP2- cates, Tippett, Foerster, TK, York/Sanheim

PK forwards - Hathaway/Poehling, Atkinson/Couts, Frost/Cates
Mad disrespect by penciling in Cates for PP2 instead of the surprisingly decent powerplay option in Laughton. :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe we would have more prospects if we had not traded a 1st, 2 2nds so we could replace Ghost with Risto.

Or trade a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for a Dman you you trade a year later with retention.

Or decline Laughton for a 1st + 2nd

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
He's also said it could take 3-5 years or longer.
His point has been the same, it'll be determined by the players on the ice.

Obviously, 2026-27 is a target with Michkov coming over, at that point they'll have drafted at least 7 1st rd picks in 5 years (Gauthier #5, Michkov #7, Bonk #22, 2024 (2), 2025, 2026), they'll have a number of other young players.

But until he knows how these players develop, Andrae, Foerster, Brink, Zamujla, Desnoyers etc. he won't know if the team has hit "critical mass." Can he find the RHD that would solidify the defensive corps? Will the young goalies (Ersson, Kosolov) develop into NHL starter quality? Will Tippett, Frost, Gauthier become top 6 forwards? And so on.
Well when their actions start to match up with their words maybe they can figure out the answer all those questions.

Until then it’s just lip service 😴

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Danny Briere scouting the Sens organization this weekend as he was in Ottawa on Saturday night and he attended the Phantoms game in Allentown against the Belleville Senators today.

Could be something it to since Sens are looking to shed salary to get Pinto under contract before December 1st.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Danny Briere scouting the Sens organization this weekend as he was in Ottawa on Saturday night and he attended the Phantoms game in Allentown against the Belleville Senators today.

Could be something it to since Sens are looking to shed salary to get Pinto under contract before December 1st.

Tyler Boucher come on down.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Tyler Boucher come on down.
I would hope Tyler Boucher wouldn’t be apart of any return to Philly but it’s the Philly way to bring a player in who has a relation to the Philly organization (Brain Boucher).

It’s been reported that the Flyers would want a pick or prospect defender if the Flyers are taking on salary. Kleven would probably be of interest but I doubt Ottawa would part with him.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I would prioritize my players strengths. I would put my best offensive winger with better offensive talent. I would deploy actually competent PP half wall players. I would scratch the defender who can’t handle the puck. I wouldn’t have 2/3rd off my 4th line lead the team in 5v5 ice time. They did this all last season.
My lineup would be something like below.

Farabee-Frost-TK (11-13min per night)
Brink-Couts-Tippett (10-12mins per night)
Cates-Poehling-Atkinson (9-11 mins per night)
Foerster-Laughton-Hathaway (8-10 mins per night)

Zamula-Sanhiem (16-18 min)
York-Walker (16-18 min)
Andrae-Risto (14-16 min)
Seeler

Pp1-Couts, Farabee, Brink, Frost, York/Sanheim
PP2- cates, Tippett, Foerster, TK, York/Sanheim

PK forwards - Hathaway/Poehling, Atkinson/Couts, Frost/Cates
lol you think it will make a difference? ha ha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad