GDT: #2 Devils vs Flyers: Can We Get An Encore II

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
The first one was too. Hartnell sold it with an acting job throwing his head back. Zid's stick didn't touch him.

I saw a Devils player do that too last night when a Flyers player hit his stick and it was up high by his head, honestly can't remember who but I remember seeing it, like Hartnell's. It goes both ways, but annoys the hell out of me when anyone does it. Although you can argue its reckless use of the stick.

apice3*

Schenn didn't deserve a suspension, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about it.

A lot of teams get frustrated and resoirt the dirty tactics when they're the better team for a good portion of the game and still lose. The difference is the Flyers do it seemingly every night. It's obnoxious, and I will never argue against a Flyer suspension ever.

That being said, I'm not going to cheer Hartnell's injury. Don't like seeing any player get injured, and Hartnell is probably my least favorite player on the ice.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
I saw a Devils player do that too last night when a Flyers player hit his stick and it was up high by his head, honestly can't remember who but I remember seeing it, like Hartnell's. It goes both ways, but annoys the hell out of me when anyone does it. Although you can argue its reckless use of the stick.

Probably talking about the one on Clarkson? He did get hit with the stick as both were kinda reaching for the puck in the air.

apice3*

Not sure what hit you're referring to, but I know Marty did a solid acting job on Simmonds.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Thats what Marty does he sells it, he did it with Avery, Rupp, and now here.

I'm happy Jacob Josefson jumped on Simmonds, good for Yayo. Then Carter came in to relieve JJ

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
For some reason the Flyers have Schenn fly around and hit people, he's a skilled player who they're trying to turn into another tough guy it's a shame. I said it in another thread but they turn into a roller derby team at any site of diversity and that's not gonna win them many games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How long is Hartnell injured? Is it from blocking that shot last night?

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
eXe8KjW.gif

It does look like they're flirting. :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't remember where the video is, but I remember at the end of the first period of the 6-4 Devils game last year. Hartnell punched Ponikarovski in the head like three times as he was battling for the puck, Ponikarovski moves further over and then he hits him really late, then afterwards, Hartnell's stupidity takes him off his man and Ponikarovski scored and right after that, Hartnell decides to cross check Bernier right in the face.

He started to piss me off beforehand, but from that point on I've hated him. He tried to hit Zubrus after that one goal in Game 4 I believe it was, and Zubrus just skated past him.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Schenn didn't deserve a suspension, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about it.

A lot of teams get frustrated and resoirt the dirty tactics when they're the better team for a good portion of the game and still lose. The difference is the Flyers do it seemingly every night. It's obnoxious, and I will never argue against a Flyer suspension ever.

That being said, I'm not going to cheer Hartnell's injury. Don't like seeing any player get injured, and Hartnell is probably my least favorite player on the ice.

I actually winced when the shot hit him. Never like seeing players get hurt like that.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Probably talking about the one on Clarkson? He did get hit with the stick as both were kinda reaching for the puck in the air.

Not sure what hit you're referring to, but I know Marty did a solid acting job on Simmonds.

I was thinking it was Clarkson, but wasn't sure. He had his stick in both hands and basically brought is stick up, and it blocked the high stick. He pulled his head back and as far as I remember it barely missed when I saw the replay. Flyers still assessed a 2 minute high sticking penalty. Like I said, still reckless use of the stick regardless.

Also, irony (and yes, this is a clean check as well, as far as I'm concerned):

Mr. Shanahan, I understand there was a lockout, but you're about 8 months late on that one game Volchenkov suspension for a legal check. Fair is fair. Chop chop.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I was thinking it was Clarkson, but wasn't sure. He had his stick in both hands and basically brought is stick up, and it blocked the high stick. He pulled his head back and as far as I remember it barely missed when I saw the replay. Flyers still assessed a 2 minute high sticking penalty. Like I said, still reckless use of the stick regardless.

Also, irony (and yes, this is a clean check as well, as far as I'm concerned):

Mr. Shanahan, I understand there was a lockout, but you're about 8 months late on that one game Volchenkov suspension for a legal check. Chop chop.

Volchenkov didn't leave his skates prior to the hit, Schenn did, that's the difference. You can see his one skate never leaves the ice, and his other skate only comes off the ice after contact.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The CSN feed showed Clarkson embellishing the high stick big time. The NBC feed didnt show it.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Volchenkov didn't leave his skates prior to the hit, Schenn did, that's the difference. You can see his one skate never leaves the ice, and his other skate only comes off the ice after contact.

Fair enough. I didn't think Schenn made contact with the head. And I still don't think he made contact with Volchenkov's head. Shanny's eyes I guess are better than mine.

Hell I don't think Volchenkov would have walked (skated) off from the hit if he made contact with his head.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Fair enough. I didn't think Schenn made contact with the head. Shanny's eyes I guess are better than mine.
No, but he, naturally, went high after he left his feet.

The same principle is applied when using the high-sticking rule, at times.

EDIT: see, we always say that the injury shouldn`t have any affect on our judgement. That is exactly what you just implied. You punish the dangerous play, not the result of it.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Volchenkov even braces himself right before the hit. He stretches out and gets his head up high as possible. Schenn STILL hits the head. Pretty clear he was just trying to hurt someone on that play.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Fair enough. I didn't think Schenn made contact with the head. And I still don't think he made contact with Volchenkov's head. Shanny's eyes I guess are better than mine.

Hell I don't think Volchenkov would have walked (skated) off from the hit if he made contact with his head.
I don't think he made contact with the head either. Did Shanahan's ruling say that he did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad