GDT: 2/26/13 | Calgary Flames VS The Unbeatables | 7 PM CT | FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So removing our 4/6 of our top 6, one of our top 9 players and the bottom 3rd of our defense isn't dismantling?

That's going to be, once again, a lot of turn over for a team that is constantly churning. Not to mention if Brodziak continues to fail.

Considering their contract status, and the direction Fletcher has been building this team, most of those you mentioned are already not in the Wild's long term future, so no that is not dismantling.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
A coach should amplify the talent on a team not diminish it. I don't buy the Russo logic that the team isn't trying hard enough. Tell me what player on this team isn't giving full effort every game?

well according to this Board: Koivu, Heatley, bouchard, Setoguchi, Suter, Backstrom at least. I don't buy it either.

I don't necessarily agree with Russo's take on it (if that's what he said). I think we're fine--we're still playing the way I expected us to for the reasons I expected--a bunch of new players, trying to find combos that work and then tweaking the system to fit those combos. Most of the offsides i see are simply linemates not knowing what the puck carrier is going to do, or guessing wrong (for example).

Billy Mays Here*

Wait, if Pitbull is our mascot does that mean we all have to get a hard-on from J-Lo too?

Karl

Feb 4, 2005
The State of Hockey
Come on people, the Wild won just be happy enjoy the moment! WWPBD? (Obviously What Would Pitbull Do?)

pittbull-2011-mtv-vmas-video-music-awards-08282011-lead-350x300.jpg

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Again with all do respect. A prospect pool that's largely unproven.. And again remember there Prospects.. Most have done nothing yet.. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.. His trades for the most part have been shakey at best and he gets a D- for hiring coaches IMO.. I guess I don't see where he's done that great.. Sorry!

The prospects won't be proven or unproven until 1-2 more years minimum. His trades have been fine. People simply focus on the one bad one. His coaching choices have been bad. That I agree with.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
So every player is making big mistakes every night? That's not what we have been hearing. We have been hearing that we play the right system but the players don't try hard enough so it fails.

Never said they were big. If they were big, we'd be getting blown out every night. Russo touched on it with puck decisions, which is our primary problem. Not making the right decision with who to pass to, not getting pucks to positions where we can fore-check, not handling passes, making poor passes, passing up quality scoring chances, the list goes on and on.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Dismantling is what you wanted to do not long ago.....get rid of our leadership was your suggestion. Ship out Koivu...clean out the top 6 for the most part.

And to be honest, Cullen isn't a top 6 player. No freaking way.

Yep. Because I mean, it didn't work out so well for Boston when they got rid of their franchise player and leader.

What I want to do is build around Parise (as shown by his effort tonight). We need to see a lot more of what Koivu did in OT.

And Cullen has been a solid top 6 forward this year...maybe top 9.

That's only if you do everything you just said, which isn't very likely.

And which is what fans want. So, what I'm just saying is what the fans want.

Considering their contract status, and the direction Fletcher has been building this team, most of those you mentioned are already not in the Wild's long term future, so no that is not dismantling.

One of the issues with this team has been chemistry and is going to be chemistry until we have a stable roster. None of one year-two year churn.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Exactly. Cullen and Butch are on borrowed time. And some forward rookies are slowly making that turnover less painful for the roster. It's sad how some of them look more hungry and threatening than a few vets each night.

Mumbler*

So bring back Bouchard and Cullen next year? Don't buy out Heatley? Don't shop Seto at the deadline or Clutterbuck? Keep Stoner, Falk, and Prosser on the team?

Butch - Sorry man, love ya bro and best of luck, but, later.
Cullen - keep. dude is pretty good. guy works his ass off out there.Heater - moderate retirement contract, opt out after 2... if he rocks it at some point this year.
Stoner - Not bad. on the cheap?
Prosser - Good day.
Falk - yeah, on the cheap, not much of risk/cost but could be OK or worth something at some point.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yep. Because I mean, it didn't work out so well for Boston when they got rid of their franchise player and leader.

What I want to do is build around Parise (as shown by his effort tonight). We need to see a lot more of what Koivu did in OT.

Top 9....not top 6. Not this year. Not even close.

And you want to build around Parise? You STILL need key guys like Koivu or else you have Gabby 2.0 who has to carry the team by himself. Koivu and Parise work well together and provide some balance.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Exactly. Cullen and Butch are on borrowed time. And some forward rookies are slowly making that turnover less painful for the roster. It's sad how some of them look more hungry and threatening than a few vets each night.

Cully has been quite good since the first couple weeks of the season where he was downright awful...Butch, sadly has been bad all year.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
well according to this Board: Koivu, Heatley, bouchard, Setoguchi, Suter, Backstrom at least. I don't buy it either.

I don't necessarily agree with Russo's take on it (if that's what he said). I think we're fine--we're still playing the way I expected us to for the reasons I expected--a bunch of new players, trying to find combos that work and then tweaking the system to fit those combos. Most of the offsides i see are simply linemates not knowing what the puck carrier is going to do, or guessing wrong (for example).

Russo may have never said it exactly but he basically says the Wild dump but don't chase. To me that implies lack of effort. I don't see lack of effort myself. I agree that lack of chemistry is an issue but I don't see the value in Yeo's system. I'm a Wild fan first and if Yeo turns it around and this team owns I'll be the first to cheer them on. I just don't see it.

Wildfan10*

I leave and miss the 3rd period and we win! I thought the first 2 periods were decently solid. WE didn't score, but it was a little less pathetic as the other games. Well i'm back, so DONT STOP THE PARTAY!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

And which is what fans want. So, what I'm just saying is what the fans want.

One of the issues with this team has been chemistry and is going to be chemistry until we have a stable roster. None of one year-two year churn.

I'm sure Parise would be thrilled with us shipping out one of the major pieces that drew him to the franchise. We trade Koivu, and all of sudden we have the same problem that Toronto has been trying to solve for 10 years.

And most fans don't want all of those things at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad