Post-Game Talk: 2/24/16 - the night the puns died. Boston - 5, Kunitz lack of accountability - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
This board is special. Saying firing sully. Hahahahaha.

Acting like it's so easy to replace kunitz.... our LW depth is ****. In fact a lot of our depth isn't very good. We need young players to develop. If we could trade kunitz for a 1st that would be unbelievable, but don't act like trading him away will make the team Better right now... Who do they replace him with, Cullen?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This board is special. Saying firing sully. Hahahahaha.

Acting like it's so easy to replace kunitz.... our LW depth is ****. In fact a lot of our depth isn't very good. We need young players to develop. If we could trade kunitz for a 1st that would be unbelievable, but don't act like trading him away will make the team Better right now... Who do they replace him with, Cullen?

Wilson. Rust. Hagelin. Bonino. Cullen.

Let's not pretend like Kunitz is a good option, or the only one. He's not, even taking into account our ****ing atrocious winger depth.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I've said it before and hey, I could certainly be wrong, but I really don't think JR has any illusions about this team. Now if there were a couple of really ballsy moves available would he make them? He might, he might not, but I don't think there are deals to be made out there that would even be enticing enough for him to pull the trigger on. Plus we'd have to trade some money back to another team to make huge deals work anyways. All in all I don't think they have a choice but to mostly stay the course.

It's not JR I'm worried about, it's the other 9 or 12 or whatever "assistant" GMs whispering in his ear. We've already seen it with the Despres/Lovejoy trade, the day it was made you knew he already regretted it, he never wanted to make it. AFAIK, nothing has changed between then and now, so I have no reason to believe they won't do something equally stupid to that or the Murray trade.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'll never understand how 2013 was a terrible bottom six. The revisionist history of that team on here is absolutely ridiculous.

Morrow - Jokinen - Bennett
Cooke - Sutter - Adams

Only play that shouldn't have been there was Adams.

Jokinen was a healthy scratch for a while. As was Bennett. Sutter was in the 3C.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
People saying "Fire Sully" oh dear

Keep in mind that even MJ started out well before the other coaches in the league figured his system out. I like that the team never gives up under Sullivan, but he is failing his duties as a bench boss.

The 1st line has been poor for like 4 straight games and Sully has not changed it. Any competent coach would have tried something different. Also, Sullivan is supposedly all about accountability yet Kunitz makes a ****** play leading to a goal against. What happens? He is taken off Sid's line...for one shift. The next shift Kunitz plays with Crosby he makes another bad play which leads to another goal against. What happens? Kunitz finishes the game on Sid's line, and you can bet your life savings that he'll still be there on saturday.

So we've got a coach who preaches accountability who is totally unwilling to hold certain players accountable. Sullivan is full of ****. The players are going to realize that and start to tune him out. It's only a matter of time.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What were the alleged Kunitz moves that ol' Earneditz nixed anyway? Kessel? Something else?

From what I have read on THIS board in the past, Kunitz nixed a deal to Toronto for Kessel, and then was discussed in a potential deal with St. Louis for Oshie that obviously never materialized. Was he offered and he said no to St. Louis? I don't know. It may never have gotten that far.

Bottom line: Rutherford has attempted to trade Kunitz twice, as far as we know.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
not sure how anyone could watch kunitz last night and come away saying he's a third liner in the top 6. dude is a nothing

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From what I have read on THIS board in the past, Kunitz nixed a deal to Toronto for Kessel, and then was discussed in a potential deal with St. Louis for Oshie that obviously never materialized. Was he offered and he said no to St. Louis? I don't know. It may never have gotten that far.

Bottom line: Rutherford has attempted to trade Kunitz twice, as far as we know.

I thought IC said that St Louis was waiting on the Pens to decide on Kunitz for Oshie or the Kessel deal and we opted to go that route so they traded for Brouwer instead. Something like that.

We got Kessel on July 1 and Oshie was traded July 2.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I thought IC said that St Louis was waiting on the Pens to decide on Kunitz for Oshie or the Kessel deal and we opted to go that route so they traded for Brouwer instead. Something like that.

We got Kessel on July 1 and Oshie was traded July 2.

Something like that, yeah. What I was trying to point out to Coach, regardless of how it all went down, was that Rutherford has attempted to trade Kunitz twice. Once for Kessel, and once for Oshie.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I heard that the Blues wanted more than Kunitz, which is more than understandable.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You also have to remember quite a few players didn't like the firings of DB and Shero, and that could have been the reasoning trying to trade him. Could things have changed since then?

Maybe/maybe not.

I'm not opposed to trading anyone except the core.

It can't be a Kunitz for a pick or prospect that needs time. They simply don't have it.

Kunitz for a comparable D-man works as long as they can fill the LW with a guy like Ladd or others who can step in and contribute right away.

So that list doesn't necessarily limit them to UFA's. Guys with 1 or 2 years left at a decent hit. Look for package deals. They most likely would have to part with some other parts, but they won't have to gut themselves of everything to get it done.

In the end, whatever they do has to fit and work. Look for hunger to win, now. Self motivation is good.

Markov/Fleischmann?

For Bonino, Bennett/Plotnikov, and a conditional 2nd (they retain 1.0 on Markov for this and next season or it is a 3rd)

Kunitz, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Fleischmann, Fehr, Rust
Kuhnhackl, Cullen, Wilson

Bennett/Sundqvist/Sheary... However it pans out who wins out moving into the playoffs. Maybe Bennett lights it up enough to take the 3rd line RW. We'll see.

Maatta, Letang
Dumoulin, Daley
Pouliot, Markov

Lovejoy/Cole

Fleury/Zatkoff/Murray

MrWilson*

Fascinating...but predictable. Pens are playoff contenders, despite the bashing and negativity this forum exudes after every loss. Malkin back in the lineup changes everything, Can't believe people on here minimize that.

Kunitz this, Kunitz that, Kunitz, Kunitz, Kunitz---ain't going anywhere this season. Get over it.

Pens are looking at Russel, for a lot of reasons, not the least which are these:

Four of Boston's five goals were the result of breakdowns by defensemen. On the first goal, Derrick Pouliot wasn’t fast enough on his retreat, which led to a David Pastrnak breakaway (and eventual penalty shot goal). Olli Maatta tried an ill-advised backhand pass against his body from the end boards. The puck was intercepted by Pastrnak, who walked to the goal to score his second of the night. The third Bruins goal occurred when Jimmy Hayes crisscrossed with Ryan Spooner. Kris Letang, instead of maintaining his gap, followed Spooner into Pouliot’s zone -- which left Hayes wide-open for the cross-ice tap in. The final goal came when Maatta tried to bat an airborne puck on his backhand at the blue line. He missed and Landon Ferraro was off on a breakaway for another tally.

Kasan is off base on a regular basis, but not here. Defense is the problem, and a bad day by MAF (5 goals on 29 shots). 42 shots on Rask and the guy gives up 1 goal. Bruins have swept the three-game season series from Pens and outscored us 14-3. Blame it all on Kunitz though. Couldn't be that Rask has our number (clearly) or that our defense sucks at, well, playing defense or anything close to reality like that, right?:shakehead

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fascinating...but predictable. Pens are playoff contenders, despite the bashing and negativity this forum exudes after every loss. Malkin back in the lineup changes everything, Can't believe people on here minimize that.

Kunitz this, Kunitz that, Kunitz, Kunitz, Kunitz---ain't going anywhere this season. Get over it.

Pens are looking at Russel, for a lot of reasons, not the least which are these:

Kasan is off base on a regular basis, but not here. Defense is the problem, and a bad day by MAF (5 goals on 29 shots). 42 shots on Rask and the guy gives up 1 goal. Bruins have swept the three-game season series from Pens and outscored us 14-3. Blame it all on Kunitz though. Couldn't be that Rask has our number (clearly) or that our defense sucks at, well, playing defense or anything close to reality like that, right?:shakehead
And who was it playing **** defense floating which lead to 3 goals.......KUNITZ

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Here are my Sully issues:

His usage of a 4th forward on the PP without Geno. It's no longer a problem after Saturday, but it was just as dumb as anything Johnston ever did.

His obsession with Porter.

While he's not tough on Kunitz, at least not in the way we like, he does seem to be more willing to take him off Sid's line during games for spurts. Last night it seems to me he was somewhat in the doghouse as he played only 15 minutes while some of the WBS guys played more, and it's not the first time.

And I mean that's it. I don't see what more he could do with this current roster. He's at least tried to move Sid around during games to get matchups, as he did last night. He seems to be more willing to try to match lines, even on the road, which is more than I could say for any of his predecessors.

Honestly, I think 90% of the people on the Fire Sully train are basing that on the supposed fiasco with Plotnikov, which is something I'll never understand. The guy is crap and he'll be back in Russia before anyone knows it.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Fun fact:

Yesterday was the Bruin's 3rd win against a playoff team since Christmas.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah. Anyone who goes crying to an internet mod for something said about someone else really needs help.

No joke, I got infracted for likening a poster's obsession with "BIG TOUGH HOCKEY" to being a Michael Bay fan.

Things like that i'm surprised this board is as big as it is. I was once banned because i got into it with a mod infracting me for the lamest reason. 4 infractions=ban. I'm sure i'll get infracted again for this post lol ohwell, guess i wont be able to edit posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad