GDT: 2/21/13 7PM Bowl of Oates: Gretzky's Mickey Mices vs. Adonis Leonsis' Frankfurters

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
The sad part is if they could put together a small winning streak, say of three games, they could still be within reach of the division crown. That doesn't seem likely.

Probably not happening and that's a generous way to put it. They'd need a monumental change in winning rate to even make the playoffs, let alone win the division. Check it out:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Washington.html

After tonight's game we have a 4.5% chance to make the playoffs. 2% we finish 8th, 1% we finish 7th, and 1% we finish 3rd. We're in the weakest division in the league, but the other four teams would really have to screw up from now till the end.

The least we can hope for to get a decent (70%) chance to make the playoffs is if we go 20-9-3 from here on out.

Right now we've got a little over twice as many losses as we do wins, 10 to 5. I really doubt we'll be a team that suddenly reverses and starts winning twice as many games than lost come Saturday.

Being really optimistic, say we come close to 20-9-3 but only go 19-9-4. Regardless, we'd all say what a great effort they showed in the end. It would truly be a great stretch to watch! However, due to that 1 extra OTL, our chances to make it fall below 50% to 48%. Say that OTL is a regulation loss, our chances fall to 27%. Only 18 wins? Our chances fall to 12%...

Point is, every game now is massive. Our slow start now has given us no room for error from here on out.

A logical/rational decision would be to tank because we're not making the playoffs.
But because this business is about entertainment, management won't allow it. At the end of the day they need to keep fans somewhat hopeful to make money and, because most casuals don't look at this kind of data, each win or good effort may seem like a big step forward, when really, it's too late.

The season is virtually over. I assume McPhee is well aware of this and so I expect him to be a seller come trade deadline time. That is if he's still around then.

I'll still be watching though. :yo:

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
this is going to be one of the worst seasons in recent memory. they'll be far too bad to even remotely compete with the best and, obviously, wont sniff the playoffs. but they'll win just enough games against similarly bad teams to put them out of the good-odds draft pick, likely ending up somewhere in the 7-9 region.

come on caps, death for seth!

IkeaMonkey*

this is going to be one of the worst seasons in recent memory.

It's essentially a mirror of 03/04.

Disappointing great players? Ovechkin = Jagr, Backstrom = Bondra.

Completely god ****ing awful defense? Schultz = Doig. Carlson = Boumeddienne. Poti = Kiwi.

Coaches who don't know dick? Butch = Oates.

I hope we get the same results as that season in that, we sell every ****ing minute asset we have.

Vladiator16*

4-1 PP advantage for us, weird... i hope refs dont try to even it out

You were saying?:shakehead

You know, its a first time i turned off the game while we still were tied (after Loko scored), and i think i saved my self a heart attack. Its said that we pretty much can predict the outcome...
...but because im such a dumb ass i read through the thread and decided to see this monumental **** up for my self (DVRed it). Good lord WTF?!!!

One sided reffing - CHECK
Dumb team that gave the refs ammunition to **** us - CHECK
OV trying like crazy without a ****ing point and punished for being physical - CHECK
Wishing we are still in the lock out - CHECK
Top 5 pick coming up - CHECK

This game should answer the question "To tank or not to tank?" We dont have to try, to us it happens naturally.

Liberati0n*

as far as i can tell johansson has a concussion

What makes you say that? I don't even know what play he was injured on. I was under the impression it was more like Schultz's broken ankles than a real injury, but I guess there's no other explanation for Chimera to still be playing.

Vladiator16*

What makes you say that? I don't even know what play he was injured on. I was under the impression it was more like Schultz's broken ankles than a real injury, but I guess there's no other explanation for Chimera to still be playing.

...and at the start on the 1st line at that!
Bring back Hanlon!

Halpysback*

After years of observation I have come to the conclusion that we cannot have one single bottom 6 player or bottom pairing defenseman on this team or the coaching will find a way to give them key minutes on the top line/top pairing game in and game out.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
The truth is, we don't have enough offenceive creativity on the roster to open things up even-strength, so we're forced to play this this basic, tight system.

We keep out of the penalty box in the 3rd and add a healthy Laich, and we could have won that game.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
After years of observation I have come to the conclusion that we cannot have one single bottom 6 player or bottom pairing defenseman on this team or the coaching will find a way to give them key minutes on the top line/top pairing game in and game out.

Bro,

We were in a good position going into the 3rd. Adam's system is basic, but it did okay for most of the game last night.

On the plus side: they did put out effort the entire game. This is workable.

Halpysback*

tumblr_milt1nauF41qg71cno1_r1_500.gif

Offensive creativity you say :sarcasm:

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
They dominated us ES in 1st, but i thought we had the advantage ES in 2nd. Quality of our scoring chances was certainly better than theirs in 2nd. As for 3rd, there was hardly any ES time to speak of.

I wouldn't describe the Capitals as 'lucky' in any respect in that game.

Ah, good point. Caps really did have something of an onslaught in the second. It just so happened that most of their attempts missed, rather than became shots on goal.

Halpysback*

Bro,

We were in a good position going into the 3rd. Adam's system is basic, but it did okay for most of the game last night.

I mean, we got to where we were because of chinky penalties and PP goals that were more luck/individual effort than system play. Devils took what they wanted when they wanted, and they didn't even seem all that on from what I saw. A bit similar to the Ottawa and Toronto games where the other team just takes the victory at the end because it's their pleasure.

I'm warming up to Oates a bit, don't mind giving him the tank season/potentially next season if no good candidates (Eakins, Laviolette, Cooper) are available, but at this point in the season the best (worst?) we can hope for is like 10th in the conference.

IkeaMonkey*

Bro,

Is his system basic or too ****ing complex for our simpleton players to understand? I thought the latter was one of the excuses similar to "THERE WAS A LOCKOUT, NO CAMPS, NEW COACH" etc etc etc. Because you know...new coaches need time to adjust, just ask Les Habitants.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I mean, we got to where we were because of chinky penalties and PP goals that were more luck/individual effort than system play. Devils took what they wanted when they wanted, and they didn't even seem all that on from what I saw. A bit similar to the Ottawa and Toronto games where the other team just takes the victory at the end because it's their pleasure.

I'm warming up to Oates a bit, don't mind giving him the tank season/potentially next season if no good candidates (Eakins, Laviolette, Cooper) are available, but at this point in the season the best (worst?) we can hope for is like 10th in the conference.

These games so remind me of my son's MYHA B-level travel team he was on, before his game improved and he went into A.

I realize that we're not going to win a Cup, or get near one. But at least Adam and Dale put systems in place that kept us in it, somewhat.

I agree on last night: take away the PP and where are we... but they did manage to score. That first goal was an especially good effort.

And, they didn't quit.

So, there were some positives.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Is his system basic or too ****ing complex for our simpleton players to understand? I thought the latter was one of the excuses similar to "THERE WAS A LOCKOUT, NO CAMPS, NEW COACH" etc etc etc. Because you know...new coaches need time to adjust, just ask Les Habitants.

It's basic. watch them very closely, once they adjust to where the puck is, they snap right into formation. And it worked for 2 periods.

What I saw last night in what they did in prep for last nights game, was to take out some of the D's rushing the puck up at the drop of a hat. They were much more displined in that regard. Adam has their ear, and they are progressing. We're just challenged as to talent.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ovi - Ribeiro - Perreault
Fehr - Backstrom - Brouwer

I'd rather see Ward in Perreault's spot there. Perreault is a centerman and putting him on the wall more is going to make him a lesser player.

That obviously doesn't leave anyone for Perreault to play with but that is a different issue...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad