GDT: 2/2/15 "Effort? What's That?" - Panthers vs. Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
actually yes going from next to last to 9th or 10th has a very positive effect... means team is in most games and competing.. they learn how to win.,shows they r becoming more consistent... if we get to 9th or 10th were just 2-5 more wins from making playoffs... another offseason and year of maturity for the young players can absolutely make up those 2-5 games... but falling all the way back does nothing for them and let's losing sink in even more... they need to see absolutely no feel progress... it's imperative for them and their developemnt

In my opinion, this team is leaps and bounds better than last year. They have come a long way and they are getting more consistent and gelling as a team. What I'm saying is, whether They finish dead last, or 10th, they still LOST out on my postseason, which is #1 goal. Every team wants to make it to the playoffs. So, either way, they didn't acheive that goal. Will I be upset to see this team kicking and screaming to the finish line and finish 1 point out, no! I want to see my team play hard every game. I think in the end, If they end up out of the playoffs and out of the McDavid sweepstakes, they've missed out on two very important improvements. I think each player will evaluate their progress, and I am pleased with it overall, but as a team, I don't think finishing 9th over 14th will make a difference really.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It's okay. I'm on my phone as well.
Like I said, from what Ive watched, and I watch all of em, most of those losses came from lackluster play. How many times have we seen this team be down by two, with two minutes left and then rally for the remainder of the game only to come up short. We played Jersey, gave up FOUR shots in two periods and couldn't win? Again, we def need more help and a legit scoring winger, but we've all seen this team come out flat and lose a game by having poor play?
If this team played 60 min and lost, I'm okay with it because they are still raw and growing together. It's another thing when they look lost, make bad plays, skate slow, take bad penalties and seem uninterested.

That's exactly what u expect of young players tho... the inconsistency from game to game even shift to shift... the fact that they can turn it on and flat out dominate at times shows their ability.. as they mature they will learn how to make an impact when things aren't going there way or how to make sure they can bring it more often and more consistently.. that's half of the battle and part of learning

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
In my opinion, this team is leaps and bounds better than last year. They have come a long way and they are getting more consistent and gelling as a team. What I'm saying is, whether They finish dead last, or 10th, they still LOST out on my postseason, which is #1 goal. Every team wants to make it to the playoffs. So, either way, they didn't acheive that goal. Will I be upset to see this team kicking and screaming to the finish line and finish 1 point out, no! I want to see my team play hard every game. I think in the end, If they end up out of the playoffs and out of the McDavid sweepstakes, they've missed out on two very important improvements. I think each player will evaluate their progress, and I am pleased with it overall, but as a team, I don't think finishing 9th over 14th will make a difference really.

Problem is if they actually finish 14 then that's not really improvement and that's a problem... that means losing too many games and that's no good for anyone

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
And you know this how?

Last years trade deadline it was reported DT was going after Bolland hard. From my best friend who's a Leaf fan. I dismissed it the best I could, guess what happened?

Now you tell me we had no shot at guys who are in a worse position than us? Come on man. We got 2 2x Stanley Cup winner in Mitchell and Thornton.

It's no secret, money talks.

Vanek was going to minni... everyone knows that... Moulson was going to buffalo everyone knows that... jagr I assume wanted to win and thought jersey would be better than they r but I'm fairly certain he had no interest in coming here... if u think Tallon just didn't wanna bring in a scorer than your dilusional... until free agents see this team showing signs of promise and our kids being elite then we won't be attracting the high profile free agents that can basically take their pick of the litter...it's common sense... there will be a time.. it is not now.. might be next year...who knows... but to think Tallon can throw money at it and we can get whoever is just ignorant

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Vanek was going to minni... everyone knows that... Moulson was going to buffalo everyone knows that... jagr I assume wanted to win and thought jersey would be better than they r but I'm fairly certain he had no interest in coming here... if u think Tallon just didn't wanna bring in a scorer than your dilusional... until free agents see this team showing signs of promise and our kids being elite then we won't be attracting the high profile free agents that can basically take their pick of the litter...it's common sense... there will be a time.. it is not now.. might be next year...who knows... but to think Tallon can throw money at it and we can get whoever is just ignorant

How the hell is going to Buffalo or NJ any different than coming here? The weather??? Thats such a scapegoat excuse for a guy who had garbage in his sights since the days of Chicago. Oh BT****ingW we're long past the Blackhawks comparison. So I'm not sure what you're looking for but this ain't it.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
How the hell is going to Buffalo or NJ any different than coming here? The weather??? Thats such a scapegoat excuse for a guy who had garbage in his sights since the days of Chicago. Oh BT****ingW we're long past the Blackhawks comparison. So I'm not sure what you're looking for but this ain't it.

Moulson played in Buffalo and liked it there and wanted to resign... he said as much... jersey was a more proven team than us with more proven talent.. either way those guys didn't wanna come here so that's the end of that... I guess u don't understand how free agency works... the player gets to pick and choose as well... not just the team.... there's plenty of other bottom feeders that have trouble attracting free agents as well so this isn't a new phenomena

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
And you know this how?

Last years trade deadline it was reported DT was going after Bolland hard. From my best friend who's a Leaf fan. I dismissed it the best I could, guess what happened?

Now you tell me we had no shot at guys who are in a worse position than us? Come on man. We got 2 2x Stanley Cup winner in Mitchell and Thornton.

It's no secret, money talks.

Minnesota and new jersey were not projected to be worse than the panthers. Moulson, who knows, maybe he wanted to go to a familiar place. The point is, some people here seem to think Tallon didn't even try to go after any goal scorers. Its mystifying. Common sense dictates that he did. Especially since he even admits that this teams biggest hole is a sniper. The fact is, free agency is not like the dart game at the town fair. Free agents choose their destinations for a plethora of reasons. We have not been a desirable destination for a long time. The tide is slowly turning, but we are still not viewed in the best light by most players of other teams IMO.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Moulson played in Buffalo and liked it there and wanted to resign... he said as much... jersey was a more proven team than us with more proven talent.. either way those guys didn't wanna come here so that's the end of that... I guess u don't understand how free agency works... the player gets to pick and choose as well... not just the team.... there's plenty of other bottom feeders that have trouble attracting free agents as well so this isn't a new phenomena

Ok so now that I got you pumping their tires, how is Bolland or Jokinen worth their prices over a guy like Goc or Shore?

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Minnesota and new jersey were not projected to be worse than the panthers. Moulson, who knows, maybe he wanted to go to a familiar place. The point is, some people here seem to think Tallon didn't even try to go after any goal scorers. Its mystifying. Common sense dictates that he did. Especially since he even admits that this teams biggest hole is a sniper. The fact is, free agency is not like the dart game at the town fair. Free agents choose their destinations for a plethora of reasons. We have not been a desirable destination for a long time. The tide is slowly turning, but we are still not viewed in the best light by most players of other teams IMO.

The tide is slowly turning? Paying 3rd line centers 5.5mil and bottom 6 forawrds 4mil?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Ok so now that I got you pumping their tires, how is Bolland or Jokinen worth their prices over a guy like Goc or Shore?

Cause they havery been in the league a long time around great players and know what it takes to play in the nhl... we needed center depth incase shore trocheck and pirri couldn't handle the load... bolland isn't worth what he's getting paid... I don't think anyone would ever argue he is... but he makes us better and is a good influence for the kids... and that's what it cost to get him here... that's what free agency is... overpayment.. just further proves that this isn't players 1st choice to come...I'm fine with them on the team... they aren't what's Important to this team... the progress of jugs hubs barky Ekblad guds kuli tro Grimaldi etc are the only thing that will turn this team around.. we're seeing signs of it this season... everyone's just hating on these signings cause we're losing right now... but nobody was flipping out a month ago...this team rides or dis on the kids... bolland and jussI were brought in to help that progress and we're good choices

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The tide is slowly turning? Paying 3rd line centers 5.5mil and bottom 6 forawrds 4mil?
The puppetmaster has this thing about getting into bidding wars for moderate talent or in the case of Jovo giving him a longterm contract when it was reported the best offer he had on the table was $2.5M for a couple of years from Detroit. He cannot get into a bidding war for the upper echelon as they don't want to come here, so instead he and guys like Nonis feel they have to show ownership they are doing something to improve their teams. There is nothing that divides a team more than paying some guy $5.5M per for 5 yrs who seldom lines up for 75% of the games in the past and is an after thought with any smart GM in the league. Save your money for a rainy day and let the cards play out with your draft picks and a few value UFA's you can pick up along the way. In the end if you have done your job properly the results will bear this out.

That's the problem with trading guys at the deadline who are value players. Goc should have been extended for another year as the third line C. He is solid in the f/o circle and has a great work ethic. Once that contract is done, you then have the options among our prospects. We are now stuck with a guy long term at an inflated contract that is untradeable and an impediment to any young center prospect who now sees he has no future with the Cats at his trained position.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Ok well you're making my point for me. We have been seen in a negative light by players for a very long time. It takes time to repair the damage that's been done by 15 years of mediocrity. It will take time for a lot of players to believe in the Panthers. It may be as soon as this summer. However, it may take more time.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Finishing 9th would absolutely be way better than finishing 14th. First, being one away from playoffs coupled with improvement from last year is an obvious sell to a free agent. Second, morale boost to young players cannot be ignored. Third, resulting coaching stability (presumably) gives another boost for continuity.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014

Jagr resigned with Jersey before free agency started, we never had a chance at him.

"There was no reason to change. There was no reason to test free agency. What would happen? Someone might give me more money, but nobody can guarantee me that I'd be happy someplace else. If I'm happy, then there's no reason to go anywhere else. I play my best hockey when I'm happy."

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Finishing 9th would absolutely be way better than finishing 14th. First, being one away from playoffs coupled with improvement from last year is an obvious sell to a free agent. Second, morale boost to young players cannot be ignored. Third, resulting coaching stability (presumably) gives another boost for continuity.

I don't see this team going after more than one or two free agents, we might add one RW and a 6th dman, but not much more. Unless we trade some of our young guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad