GDT: 2/18/2015 - Wild @ Flames - 8:30PM CT, 4:30AM FIN - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was just about to post a blistering critique of the Wild and their failures in the clutch...

Never mind.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
10 percent spike in playoff odds, back up to 50%!!!!

tumblr_inline_njfmcwNJRA1s8g88z.gif

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
That mean LA is going to tie them with their win too? Either way, get that feeling 2 out of the current top 8 are going to have to fall out...LA is coming on strong. Feel as though Calgary and SJ might both miss this year. Another year without a WC team from the Pacific (hopefully).

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I thought he played incredible tonight. That late sliding poke check was clutch.

it was clutch, but if he missed...how many times do people ride guys who leave their feet to bat at the puck? if it works, you look like a stud. when it doesn't, you look like an idiot that's taking unnecessary chances.

Don't get me wrong--I like it! It's a demonstration of why we need a guy like him playing on the blueline.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That mean LA is going to tie them with their win too? Either way, get that feeling 2 out of the current top 8 are going to have to fall out...LA is coming on strong. Feel as though Calgary and SJ might both miss this year. Another year without a WC team from the Pacific (hopefully).

Yes, LA will be tied with San Jose at 66pts, but due to less games played, LA will be sitting in 8th over the Sharks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On third look, Johnny sure messed up his goalie on the game winner. If he had been a Wild player the goal would've been called off.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Looking at the other good teams around the league I think it's really important we keep our core together . All of the best teams have generally had a core that's grown up together through the process of becoming a championship team. It's pretty apparent that guys comfortable with eachother will lift eachothers play.

Keep Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon together and let them keep growing. Keep Parise, Granlund, Nino, Coyle, Zucker, Schroeder, Haula together as well. (Koivu, Pominville, Vanek are nice pieces too, but will start to decline in value pretty soon) I want speed. Hopefully Graovac and Tuch and eventually Lucia in the coming years can continue to add more guys who are both big and fast.

Yeo's system needs puck-movers and mobile-two way defenseman on the back end. (Which Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Dumba, and Suter all are) Who can play really versatile roles and really move the puck.

We're best when we get our forecheck going. Guys who have the speed to keep pucks alive and win 50-50 battles in the offensive zone and guys who can punish the D retrieving the puck and then establish the cycle are the types of guys we should be going for. Guys like Nino and Coyle are really valuable because they can be really physical along the boards, but Yeo's system also works well for guys who are willing to get to the dirty areas and take punishment to make plays.

Those are guys like Zucker, Schroeder, Parise, and Granlund who use their speed and keep their feet moving to win puck battles.

A couple years down the line...

Parise-Granlund-Tuch
Zucker-Coyle-Nino
Lucia-Koivu-Pominville
Schroeder-Haula-Graovac

Suter-Scandella
Brodin-Dumba
Spurgeon-(Folin/Oloffson/?)

That's a bunch of lines that you can roll and overwhelm teams with speed and size.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Looking at the other good teams around the league I think it's really important we keep our core together . All of the best teams have generally had a core that's grown up together through the process of becoming a championship team.

This is why I really want to make the playoffs this year. Not our year for a Cup run, but it would be great to have the young guys go through an adversity filled season like this, and find what it takes to overcome all that and make the playoffs.

Plus, that's some valuable playoff experience for the young guys.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
There weren't any replays of it, but Dumba saving a goal, sorry for the not great quality, have had to change laptops and my setup isn't quite right yet.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i was very unhappy with the refs last night, pommer mauled on what should have been a breakaway & 2 min later parise gets called for a luv tap ??? not enough vid to overturn the high stick goal. glad we pulled off a victory! i take back atleast one bad thing i've said about koivu. fantastic play for the win! go wild. ps none of you ever give prosser any luv so i will. nice bat of the puck out of harms way. ps2 how bad is spurge hurt?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Man it just would be so nice to see what this team could do at full-strength for a 20 game stretch or so.

Or you know play a 60 minute game. I know they are winning but their five on five play has been kind of concerning. I mean it hurt them in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad