GDT: 2/18/13 "Finish The Game" - Maple Leafs VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Kuba was a horrible pickup. The worst, I would say, that came early in free agency. Did not Tallon do the same thing when he signed Jovanovski? Luongo isn't worth a 1st? Then nobody is--oh, except Crosby of course. Weiss has NEVER been an authentic top line center. He is a 2-way 2nd liner. This is typical. The same old blame the owners and the money constraints for the do-nothing general manager. Maybe you did the same for Dudley and Martin. You have proven yourself a poor judge of talent twice in one post. I wonder how many thousand times you've done so.

Weiss has a NMC, therefore, he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Recently stated that he didn't.

Luongo's contract isn't worth a first, much less Weiss plus. There's a reason he's still a Canuck, no one was paying that price tag.

Weiss has never looked this bad before, so your analysis doesn't add up.

Burke did what in Toronto? They havent made the playoffs since the first lockout, he's been there awhile. Meanwhile, Tallon's turned the Panthers around, loaded the cupboard, stuck to his blue print, and gotten them into the playoffs. But never mind that, lets go get a guy who traded all that for Kessel, and thought Phanuef was a franchise defenseman.

And you don't think ownership has always been an issue? Lol, woah.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Since you brought it up, I was wondering if Weiss would hold up any trades (if Tallon is looking). But I'm sure if we are indeed out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, that he'd okay a trade to a contender (if Tallon found a trade).

-ghoste

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Weiss has a NMC, therefore, he isn't going anywhere unless he wants to. Recently stated that he didn't.

Luongo's contract isn't worth a first, much less Weiss plus. There's a reason he's still a Canuck, no one was paying that price tag.

Weiss has never looked this bad before, so your analysis doesn't add up.

Burke did what in Toronto? They havent made the playoffs since the first lockout, he's been there awhile. Meanwhile, Tallon's turned the Panthers around, loaded the cupboard, stuck to his blue print, and gotten them into the playoffs. But never mind that, lets go get a guy who traded all that for Kessel, and thought Phanuef was a franchise defenseman.

And you don't think ownership has always been an issue? Lol, woah.

Burke is no longer the GM of the Leafs :)

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Lmao, that's awesome. But yeah, let's can Tallon and bring him in. Maybe he'll let Huberdeau and Shore go to bring Bouw back and trade the farm's picks for another Kessel.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'd say the 70-30 number is accurate. I'm not bashing DT. I love him as a GM. He's finally built a massive pool of prospects and allowed them to develop properly. I'm just saying that he isn't perfect. No GM is. Grabner has the ability to score a goal at any time. I know he's no superstar but having another guy that can contribute offensively and kill penalties (Grabner kills penalties for the Islanders) would help this team. I sometimes think about losing him for nothing when we fall 1-0 in games. His 6 goals this season would tie him with Hubs for 1st on the team.

As I said, I really like DT as a GM. I trust him completely. That doesn't mean I won't question him. Every fan questions the GM, it's nature. But he is the pro and he's got to know what he's doing in the grand scheme of things, so all we can do is sit back and wait to see how it all unfolds.

Last season was wonderful so that's why a lot of us are having a ton of trouble swallowing the bitter pill that is this season. After a decade of mediocrity (at BEST), we finally saw some success and made it into the playoffs. Even though some of you were expecting a poor outing this year, you can't tell me it's not disappointing.

I'm starting to come to terms with this season most likely being over. We are close still but I we haven't shown enough signs of consistency over 15 games (basically 1/3 of this season), to prove to me that we'll be able to bounce back enough to sneak into the playoffs. If we're going to lose, I'd rather do it properly and get ourselves one more top-prospect to stack us even further. I still don't know if I'd want a defender or a forward. If you asked me before the season, I would've said draft a scoring forward, but with the sad state of our defense right now, I'm not so sure we are as solid as we thought we were back there.

Can Robal, Petrovic and Co. be stable enough at the NHL level for us? I don't know enough about their play to make a call on that. What kind of ceiling do these guys have
?

You have to think though that if we had kept Grabner, we wouldn't have gotten Huberdeau. If Grabner had scored even close to 34 goals for us, then we wouldn't have ended up with the 3rd overall pick.

In addition to Petrovic and Robak, we have Matheson too don't forget, who I think is a better prospect than both of them. Robak I'm not too high on, but Matheson looks like a brilliant pick and I'd rather have him than Maatta. Petrovic will be a solid NHL defenseman. A lot will depend on where we end up drafting too, and if we trade Kulikov or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad