GDT: 2/16/2015 - Wild @ Canucks - 9PM CT, 5AM FIN - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Vanek was hardly the worst player on the ice tonight.Granlund,Haula,Scandella and Koivu were pretty bad as well.

Not saying nobody else was bad. Vanek's lack of effort in the defensive zone and offensive zone turnovers were horrendous. Watch the Horvat goal from start finish, he coasts in on the backcheck, does a HUGE circle when the pucks on the half wall and makes half assed attempt to block the shot leading to the goal. Seen it all year. Guess I am just frustrated with him.

J22*

It was encouraging to see Yeo have Dumba out there at the end and he produced the chances.

Bodes well moving forward.

Dumba will be in Spurgeon's spot by the end of the season IMO. Spurgeon has been heading the wrong direction for a while now.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I like Dumba at the end taking a half assed swing at one of the corn children. It made me laugh after an otherwise bad game.

One weird thing tonight. What's with the boards in Vancouver? Everything that hit the boards just died within 2 feet. I don't remember the boards ever being that way in that building.

The west just sucks this year. It's unbelievable to me that this team has gone on the winning streak it's on, and is still not in the playoffs. :shakehead

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Not saying nobody else was bad. Vanek's lack of effort in the defensive zone and offensive zone turnovers were horrendous. Watch the Horvat goal from start finish, he coasts in on the backcheck, does a HUGE circle when the pucks on the half wall and makes half assed attempt to block the shot leading to the goal. Seen it all year. Guess I am just frustrated with him.

Plenty of bad defense by Spurgeon on that goal,got walked around pretty easily then failed to retrieve the puck and get the clear after it went through the crease.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

The issues I have is with Vanek on this play. He is standing straight up the entire time. Before this he was coasting into the zone and being lazy on the wall. Things like this get on my nerves.

J22*

Funny you mention that goal, how you can watch that shift and come away blaming Vanek is laughable at best.

Pro tip- Watch it again but this time focus on 46 and 64. Granlund literally jumps out of the way of the shot.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Funny you mention that goal, how you can watch that shift and come away blaming Vanek is laughable at best.

Pro tip- Watch it again but this time focus on 46 and 64. Granlund literally jumps out of the way of the shot.

Thank you for the pro-tip, watch the GIF above and tell me the guy standing straight up who makes a 1% effort has nothing to do with it.

Let me make a one-handed attempt to block the shot after my lazy ass literally coasted over to the puck carrier?

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Thank you for the pro-tip, watch the GIF above and tell me the guy standing straight up who makes a 1% effort has nothing to do with it.

Let me make a one-handed attempt to block the shot after my lazy ass literally coasted over to the puck carrier.

That whole situation developed 30 seconds before that gif,better defending and it does not get to that point.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
That'll happen when the winning streak is preceded by a 2-7-1 stretch.

True, but the teams that surround the Wild haven't gone on some kind of crazy runs with points in almost all of the games. Anyway, I think the Wild will probably get in, as I can't see all the teams surrounding us playing well enough to make it. Not with the schedules they have.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
That whole situation developed 30 seconds before that gif,better defending and it does not get to that point.

I am not disagreeing. But my point is the pure lack of effort. 30 seconds before the gif we saw Vanek coast into the zone then do a huge loop. I am not blaming him for the entire series of plays, I apologize if it came off that way, I hate seeing someone not move their feet on our zone, is all.

J22*

Let me make a one-handed attempt to block the shot after my lazy ass literally coasted over to the puck carrier?

It's almost like you don't understand the D-zone responsibility of a wing? If Vanek cuts to the slot to try and get in front a potential shot, the puck gets moved to a canuck standing wide open on the right face-off dot. In case you're wondering, the proper play is for Granlund to step out and force the canuck to move it to his RD or dump it in the corner.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I am not disagreeing. But my point is the pure lack of effort. 30 seconds before the gif we saw Vanek coast into the zone then do a huge loop. I am not blaming him for the entire series of plays, I apologize if it came off that way, I hate seeing someone not move their feet on our zone, is all.

Dude we are all frustrated,as tight as it is when you face a team as beat up defensively as the Nucks are they just have to do better to take advantage of it.If you don't it's a 4 point swing.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
The issues I have is with Vanek on this play. He is standing straight up the entire time. Before this he was coasting into the zone and being lazy on the wall. Things like this get on my nerves.

It's funny you hate Vanek, a one dimensional offensive playmaker and scorer, but you love Brodin, a one dimensional defenseman with zero offensive game.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

And the way he plays, Is the way he has pretty much ALWAYS played, from Juniors on up. He is who he is. We knew that when we got him.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
It's almost like you don't understand the D-zone responsibility of a wing? If Vanek cuts to the slot to try and get in front a potential shot, the puck gets moved to a canuck standing wide open on the right face-off dot. In case you're wondering, the proper play is for Granlund to step out and force the canuck to move it to his RD or dump it in the corner.

In case you're wondering, the point is that a man being paid $6.5 Million dollars has no business coasting around the defensive zone the entire shift.

Goodnight all

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
It's funny you hate Vanek, a one dimensional offensive playmaker and scorer, but you love Brodin, a one dimensional defenseman with zero offensive game.

I have no excuse for this. Always been a Vanek hater and tonight frustrated me a lot. But I have no argument for what you said as it is true :laugh:

I promise this is my last post on Vanek in this thread, I hate low effort plays. I apologize to all for beating it to death. We will get em on Wednesday

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I have no excuse for this. Always been a Vanek hater and tonight frustrated me a lot. But I have no argument for what you said as it is true :laugh:

I promise this is my last post on Vanek in this thread, I hate low effort plays. I apologize to all for beating it to death. We will get em on Wednesday

He gets paid to save that energy for the offensive end. Meh. Vanek isn't the problem.

Edit-

Well I should clairfy, I mean to a certain extent I guess he is the problem because he's not a great defensive player, but he is one of our better offensive players and their is a lot of guys who give more "effort" than Vanek defensively who aren't on the score sheet anywhere near as much as Vanek. And that includes guys who this board loves like Zucker and Niederriter.

Vanek isn't quite the same player as he was a few years ago--during his prime. Yes, he's lost a step...which exposes his defencies even more than it used too. But, we knew exactly what we were getting with Vanek when we signed him. I'd rather have a couple guys, who are offensively minded like Vanek, than another of the typical Wild player.

And on that GIF, yeah sure in a perfect world Vanek is over a couple more strides and gets in front of the puck. But, in a perfect world Granlund also blocks that shot...or the D in front. Or the D in front ties up his man better. Or Duby makes a better save or has better rebound control.

Hockey is a game of mistakes. On any goal or in any game you could take a GIF or a video clip and single out any player during some shift making a mistake and out of position.

Last edited:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Holy **** what a last second scramble. Epic, but fell just short. Goddamnit. Otherwise it was a lackluster effort, especially the brutal second period. Gotta give it to Canucks though, they defended the middle of the ice very well. Always tied up guys and sticks in the slot. Love the Nino-Coyle-Schroeder line, they made things happen. Don't love Vanek-Granlund-Fontaine, seems like they can't generate anything against a tight checking team.

Now the next games are that much more important. Just have to collect wins and points here. It's a full blown war in the West and Wild is right in the middle of the battle.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Don't get the Vanek criticism... Thought he was the most dangerous Wild player tonight...
Had my sphincters clenched a number of times due to his chances tonight.
Just saying... Just think some may be being hypercritical.

I was glad on the other hand to see Praise and Koivu have off nights.. Coyle too.. He usually punishes us as well... Or historical Canuck killer Brodziak...

Last edited:

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014

That goal is 90% Vanek's fault if you watch that shift start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad