GDT: 2/15/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ San Jose

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Great win! I like our new lines a lot more. When Carle comes back and maybe someone like Michalek our team will be solid. Sustr was kinda meh from what I saw.

Sup with this? 1st star of the game: Victor Hedman.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
And if Barberio wasnt waiver eligible he would be in Syracuse. Sustr does everything better than Barberio except skating and Sustr isnt a terrible skater. Barberio is an "offensive defenseman". Although the term when applied to him is more leaning towards the insulting and terrible offensive rather than the puts up points offensive. He has 4 points. 4. Four. For a guy whos strong suit is supposed to be offense... which is supposed to make up for his umm defensive skills..... he sure isnt doing much.

Completely incorrect. See above.

Barberio has a better hockey IQ, vision and is a better skater, those are difficult skills to learn and thats why I hold Barberio in higher regard. With that said he got weaknesses that needs to be improved but I rate him above Sustr as it is now.

On another note, we are halfway through February and I must say the team is handling it very well so far :handclap:

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I think Barbs is better but I don't think I'd say by a whole lot. Both are works in progress, Sustr is worse offensively, clearly, and both are bad on D.

Clearly he isn't. Considering they have almost exact the same .129 Points per game. Barberio SHOULD be better, but, he's not.

Barberio has a better hockey IQ, vision and is a better skater, those are difficult skills to learn and thats why I hold Barberio in higher regard. With that said he got weaknesses that needs to be improved but I rate him above Sustr as it is now.

On another note, we are halfway through February and I must say the team is handling it very well so far :handclap:

We can agree to disagree. The only thing I agree with is skating.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

You know what's even harder to learn? Size and handedness, something that makes Sustr much more valuable than Barberio.

That seems a bit tacky since Sustr plays like a marshmallow and I'd agree has been outplayed by Barberio to this point.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Sustr imo was playing so well about a month a go or even a little less time than that.
He isn't playing anywhere near that now.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe too many games or minutes or responsibility with 3 regular defenders missing. idk

we have the 3 (Hedman, Garrison and Stralman) that you could count on. After that a bunch of guys without experience and we have no idea who will emerge. and I don't like carle and his salary for the future. Gudas is a 3rd paring guy imo.

I think Stevie has his work cut out to get this right. I hope he doesn't over pay for another 3rd pairing guy especially if he turns out to be a rental.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Witkowski getting some love over at BP:
Luke Witkowski had 1 shot, 3 hits, and 1 blocked shot in 18:52. To go through a game against the Sharks and play nearly 19 minutes and stay pretty unblemished is solid. It portends good things. Witkowski could be this Lightning team's Nolan Pratt. That's the type of guy you need if you want to win championships: a bottom pair guy who can go up and play second pair minutes when pressed into service and give you some grit, hustle, and steadiness.
http://boltprospects.com/content/nhl-game-night-2-15-15-lightning-sharks

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Sustr imo was playing so well about a month a go or even a little less time than that.
He isn't playing anywhere near that now.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Maybe too many games or minutes or responsibility with 3 regular defenders missing. idk

we have the 3 (Hedman, Garrison and Stralman) that you could count on. After that a bunch of guys without experience and we have no idea who will emerge. and I don't like carle and his salary for the future. Gudas is a 3rd paring guy imo.

I think Stevie has his work cut out to get this right. I hope he doesn't over pay for another 3rd pairing guy especially if he turns out to be a rental.

Spot on

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The D from last night looked way better then the unit against the Blues. The Sharks aren't on the Blues level but should be a playoff team in the west. I would keep this unit and those pairings together as it seemed they all clicked last night. Each has a nice mix, so it would seem Barberio is the odd man out right now. Nesterov looked more dangerous and strong in his own zone then Barberio has in a while. Witkowski seems like he's here to stay unless we get a RD in before the deadline. I expect Nesterov to go down when Carle gets back with Luke staying until we get another RD and if we don't he'll be the bottom pair one.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Line combos looked pretty good and all were fast. When we play our fast game most teams just can't keep up. I hope we stick with them.

Killer Stammer Cally
TKO
Connolly Flip Cedric
Drouin Boyle Brown

We didn't miss Morrow so maybe he is the one to move as one piece of a trade.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Barberio won't be back next year...Nesterov will be the call up on the left side. I bet Witkowski is here to stay as a #6/#7 that can be healthy scratched. Sustr > Barberio - an offensive defenseman that can't offense and defense is worthless. Barberio has the speed and puck handling ability to go coast to coast...but doesnt because his head is screwed. Kid needs an infusion of confidence...the ability and offensive IQ are there but I don't think he'll ever reach ceiling here anymore.

He should be driving the PP - but Cooper won't trust him b/c mistake in last year's game vs Boston? Boy was he crucified...don't think he ever recovered after that. Its too bad...we see giveaways by our C all the time but I digress. Too weak for the PK. Head is screwed on too tight...won't drive with the puck. Ya'll should have seen him in Syracuse - what a player he was. Take over the puck, dish it out, always...always had the puck on his stick and driving the play. That Barberio translating his game to the NHL would be 35+ point player. Cooper prolly needs to let the leash out on him a bit...shame too - he was a special player until not too long ago.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Barberio won't be back next year...Nesterov will be the call up on the left side. I bet Witkowski is here to stay as a #6/#7 that can be healthy scratched. Sustr > Barberio - an offensive defenseman that can't offense and defense is worthless. Barberio has the speed and puck handling ability to go coast to coast...but doesnt because his head is screwed. Kid needs an infusion of confidence...the ability and offensive IQ are there but I don't think he'll ever reach ceiling here anymore.

He should be driving the PP - but Cooper won't trust him b/c mistake in last year's game vs Boston? Boy was he crucified...don't think he ever recovered after that. Its too bad...we see giveaways by our C all the time but I digress. Too weak for the PK. Head is screwed on too tight...won't drive with the puck. Ya'll should have seen him in Syracuse - what a player he was. Take over the puck, dish it out, always...always had the puck on his stick and driving the play. That Barberio translating his game to the NHL would be 35+ point player. Cooper prolly needs to let the leash out on him a bit...shame too - he was a special player until not too long ago.

Nesterov, Barbs, and Koekkoek makes it really hard to imagine keeping Matt Carle's contract, regardless of what happens.

Klutch86

Dec 27, 2014
Didn't realize they gave out the Eddie Shore in the NHL. For someone better at the hockey you'd think he would've improved from when he won that award. It's too bad the NHL isn't a development league because Barberio has only stagnated since he got here.

Barberio has obviously improved from last season while Sustr is regressing every single game

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Barberio has obviously improved from last season while Sustr is regressing every single game

Barberio hasn't improved much if at all, if he did he'd play more especially over Nesterov. Sustr has improved since last year but is going through a rough stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad