Post-Game Talk: #2 - 10/5/19 | RANGERS @ senators | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think most Ottawa fans enjoy soccer this time of the year, and no doubts in my mind it will be a long haul for their GM and their current NHL team or what is left of it... Why in northpool has this man a job in NHL GM position. Pierre Dorion - it tells not many usually applies for these kind of positions in Canada. He sent all packing for future including EK! :)

I would jump a bridge when they sent Zucc packing since the Wilds is struggling right now and it saden me.. But at least I`ve Real Madrid, Real Sociedad and Martin Ødegaard who won the best player award for the first debut LA liga season for the best player in Spain - the world most competieve league! ;)

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich line could be something very special. Not because they are the most talented combination. There IS a ton of talent but these guys are all tenacious in the way they hound the puck when they don’t have it to retrieve it.

Buchnevich is underrated on this line. Yes, he’s not at their Panarin or Zibanejad’s level but he could settle into a very good player in his own right.
You can’t afford 18 superstars

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It seems, I always write something early in the season that you can’t get too excited about what happens during the first couple of weeks of the season but two games in and I am pumped.

A real first line, a lot of talented young players, good goaltending and good karma. This is fun.

I keep reminding myself not to get too excited. But I am excited.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It seems, I always write something early in the season that you can’t get too excited about what happens during the first couple of weeks of the season but two games in and I am pumped.

A real first line, a lot of talented young players, good goaltending and good karma. This is fun.

I keep reminding myself not to get too excited. But I am excited.

Don't get too excited.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Fox is just incredible. Nothing flashy but damn every play he makes is a good one

He's not flashy like using toe-drags and ripping top corner shots like an Adam Boqvist (to compare him to another young, similarly sized d-man), but the guy is just bloody brilliant, and that will be recognized in time. I really think it's down to games, not seasons, before he takes over the point on the first power play. Trouba's a decent power play quarter back, but he's not elite, which is why he always played second fiddle in Winnipeg. He's a very good all-round defenseman who should man the second PP on a good team.

And it's clear Panarin loves playing with Fox too... guys with elite hockey I.Q. gravitate to each other, and they're already looking to make plays together.

For a guy in his second NHL game, I'd be accused of hyperbole if I said just how good I think he'll be.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Hajek was really good in this game. Nice bounceback after he sucked Thursday. Everyone kinda did. Not playing the full lineup in a preseason game was an error by Quinn, but we won so menzamenz.

I still think Hajek makes Skjei obsolete in a half a ****ing minute.
I've been saying this very thing for a while now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
C’mon, Zibanejad is breaking through the most optimistic views of what kind of player he was expected to be.
Okay, I don't think we disagree with each other, just a matter of wording. I think most people thought he had the talent to become a bona fide star 1C, it was just a matter of putting it together and having some real talent around him (and staying healthy). So, he's doing that. I mean if we're saying he's a 4 point per game player, then yeah, he's exceeding wildest expectations, but we know that's not going to be sustained over the year.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Honestly guys Georgiev is clearly our best option in net. Calm game while hank is old school chaos in there flopping and diving around. Georgie is Always in control. Goes. Long way with our young blue line.
Georgie also can handle the puck so much better than Hank....that can make a HUGE difference if it buys our young D a second or so on a play every now and then . It might not seem like much but often an unnoticed stat that does not show on the score sheet .

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I think the hope is that we can get to a point where these young kids force their way into positions and steal roles.

The sooner that happens, the sooner we can begin trying to fill various holes.

Are you referring to the gaping hole at 2nd line center perhaps?

Any thoughts on how we fill that? I'd love your take on this.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Uhm, this is not how analytics work lol. Yes, it's only a one face-off difference if we look a the sample size of one game. The NHL play-off spot is not won by one game, it's decided in 82. So add 82 times that one face-off lost and it starts to make a difference.

Anyway, I looked at this Namestnikov's history and it looks like he has played sometimes as center in Tampa years ago. So yes, that helps a little, as you don't just put a random winger who has never played center to anchor your second line.

But the bottom line is, Rangers can blame largely themselves for creating this problem and there might not be an optimal solution. The center line spot is basically the most difficult in the NHL, which is why every recent successful NHL team relies on having a good center depth. Just look at the difference Blues made in a year by hiring another elite center.
Schiefle, backstrom, eichel.

Let's move em all to wing because of 1 situational thing.

Or

You know... Leave em there and work around it since they're amazing at everything else.

You know...whatever works for you.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Watching the replay of the HNIC feed and they absolutely gush over our first line, young dmen, and Georgy. One of them called Panarin a right-handed Patrick Kane. They also had a really nice monologue about Buch playing himself out of the dog house last season. Buch has never played with players as talented and smart as Zib and Panarin and there's clearly an adjustment period, but I don't think he should get demoted just to get K2 going.

Quinn needs to find another way to get the bottom 9 going because there's gonna be problems as soon as the Rangers play a team that actually has a defenseman or two. I thought over the past two games Andersson has been our best bottom 9 forward. It's nice that he got double digit minutes in this one, but he's being wasted with his current usage. Smith has been OK, but he's... not a forward.

I might get flayed for saying this, and I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I don't know why Strome is solely accountable for the second line's failure to control the puck with any consistency. K2 is great with the puck on his stick, but he still has a lot to learn. Kreider needs to be better at chasing down pucks. Strome is what he is, and a very convenient target for HFNYR.

Fox looked way, way more comfortable in this one. He plays a much more conservative game than most players that are billed as offensive dmen so I'd like to see him flex a bit more as the season goes on, but his game translates so well to pro play. He still had a couple rough moments where the puck bounced over his stick at the point, or that one failed outlet in the first period that led to a scoring chance, but the overall package is there.

TDA looked more like himself in this one. Poor guy has to drag a corpse around with him.

I'm surprised Hajek isn't getting more ups in this thread... He got bodied a bit early on but he looked like he belonged and he doesn't panic with the puck on his stick. He got better as the game went on. That was a Quinn decision that made me scratch my head, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Staal is a blight. Skjei needs to settle down.

Transitions and neutral zone play on both sides of the puck was much better in this one. Still, Quinn has his work cut out for him. It's nice that they feasted on a terrible team before the second offseason. It's good that they're getting their bye earlier rather than later, and even better that they're getting the time off after a high.

Also HNIC's camera work and production is 1000x better than MSG's. It's unreal how often MSG's camera-men straight up lose the puck, or arbitrarily switch to the alternate cameras in moments where it makes zero sense, and then stay on them for 3 seconds too long.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Something about Panarin’s game that gets overlooked is that he’s really tenacious and effective at winning pucks back from the opposition in the offensive zone, especially for his size. He’s so smart and can anticipate where the puck carrier is going or where he’s going to move the puck and before he even passes it Panarin is already picking it off.

Yeah, and being able to watch these guys will really be contiguous for the rest of the team.

Panarin is skilled, but it’s really only like 1/3 of what that top lines game is about. They are all skilled and can buy themselves time with the puck.

Equally as important is their decision making that is so focused on keeping the puck within the team. Instead of putting the puck on net or trying some low percentage play they use those smart plays, those hard passes straight across the zone. Along the boards and so forth.

And as you say, they instantly turn it on to win the puck back when they’ve lost it.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
This Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich line could be something very special. Not because they are the most talented combination. There IS a ton of talent but these guys are all tenacious in the way they hound the puck when they don’t have it to retrieve it.

Buchnevich is underrated on this line. Yes, he’s not at their Panarin or Zibanejad’s level but he could settle into a very good player in his own right.

Buch is a good complementary player. He worked well on the KZB line over the past two years (despite the coaches' continually breaking up that group). I hope they leave PZB alone. Buch looked happier after Mika's second goal than I ever remember him doing after any of his own goals (he usually looks sheepish when he scores).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This was a good game. They played with pace and structure and took out a weaker team. They played like needed to win the game. That's a very good sign of a team that is not gearing up for a rebuild.

• Zibs- Monster.
  • Andy- A couple of really good pickpockets. Need to see more of those plays. Full on intensity out there, if you're playing 8-11 minutes a night, there's no need to pace yourself.
  • Bread- Another casual gamebreaking night. PP looks lethal out there. RH Shots. Skilled SH Shots, with Bombs across the board with Panarin, Zibs, & Trouba.
  • Buch- More swagger this game. I think Bread is going to be a positive impact on Buch. The 2nd Zibs goal was a sign of supreme confidence. Buch's gotta be about that all day everyday.
  • Trouba- Does it all out there. He's getting the ice time to finally prove that.
  • Hajek- Liked the move by the coaching staff to play him next to Trouba. If this works 5v5, then the Rangers have a very solid distribution of minutes. Will be important to see how this unfolds. Looked solid out there. Again, Libs has all of the physical tools you would want, and he knows what to do, with and without the puck.
  • George- What can you say. I, and some others I chat with, believe he can be a starter somewhere else. Last night was a good showing of that. Just Steady Eady out there.
  • DeAngelo- Much better game than WPG, locked it down, and did his job. Made a couple of good offensive zone plays.
  • Pepe- Liked seeing Pep get some extra ice time over Names. Good exposure for the kid, and smart developmental move by the coach.
  • Smith- Played some solid minutes. Have to acknowledge that.
  • Strome- Gut instinct is that he is very solid trade bait at some point. Good guy, but not seeing what I would want in either zones.

Overall 2 games. 2 wins.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Trade for Edmonton's pick at 8 and take Zegras.

...ouch :)

Anyway, Georgi is a heck of a goalkeeper.

I like the way a lot of the kids are looking. Especially Hajek and Fox. That could be special.

Lias and Lemuix need more ice time over the likes of Strome and Names

Skjei looks....terrible. No other way to put it.

The multiple mistakes that are happening out there with him should not be happening at this point.

Brady's got some very talented kids breathing down his neck. That's a fact. Good problem for us to have.

Love to be a fly on the wall in the Executive box. They've got some moves to make.

Reactions: leetch99

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
It's shocking how much Lias is faster. Not just fast but quick too and stout too.
He looks like a completely different player than last year. He’s skating faster, he’s fully playing at the pace of the game with not even a slight issue, he’s making decisions faster and he’s starting to flash some skill. I really wanna see Quinn move him up to line 2 bc he might be primed for a breakout.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He's not flashy like using toe-drags and ripping top corner shots like an Adam Boqvist (to compare him to another young, similarly sized d-man), but the guy is just bloody brilliant, and that will be recognized in time. I really think it's down to games, not seasons, before he takes over the point on the first power play. Trouba's a decent power play quarter back, but he's not elite, which is why he always played second fiddle in Winnipeg. He's a very good all-round defenseman who should man the second PP on a good team.

And it's clear Panarin loves playing with Fox too... guys with elite hockey I.Q. gravitate to each other, and they're already looking to make plays together.

For a guy in his second NHL game, I'd be accused of hyperbole if I said just how good I think he'll be.
The first power play unit is exquisite at the moment and I love the idea of Fox and ADA on the second unit. But PP1 cant sustain this all year, so we'll likely see personnel moves. PP1 has been so good that PP2 hasn't seen much action besides mop-up duty. I agree that Panarin's hockey IQ is also top of the scale. His decision making is also incredible. That headman pass from Fox to Panarin that sprung the tic tac toe goal was a beaut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad