Post-Game Talk: #2 - 10/5/19 | RANGERS @ senators | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Ten faceoffs..instead of going 5 and 5 he goes 4 and 6. 1 faceoff difference. If he's better at basically everything else...who gives a flying frak about 1 faceoff.

Uhm, this is not how analytics work lol. Yes, it's only a one face-off difference if we look a the sample size of one game. The NHL play-off spot is not won by one game, it's decided in 82. So add 82 times that one face-off lost and it starts to make a difference.

Anyway, I looked at this Namestnikov's history and it looks like he has played sometimes as center in Tampa years ago. So yes, that helps a little, as you don't just put a random winger who has never played center to anchor your second line.

But the bottom line is, Rangers can blame largely themselves for creating this problem and there might not be an optimal solution. The center line spot is basically the most difficult in the NHL, which is why every recent successful NHL team relies on having a good center depth. Just look at the difference Blues made in a year by hiring another elite center.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hell i'd rather have Namestnikov center the 2nd line. he can't finish to save his life but he's at least noticeable out there, he can enter the zone
Said this the yesterday, I'd like to see it tried. Probably wuldn't change much, but you never know. They'd have to put Strome on his off-wing or do some bottom-6 line-juggling though. I don't know why people think Strome is good at face-offs.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Uhm, this is not how analytics work lol. Yes, it's only a one face-off difference if we look a the sample size of one game. The NHL play-off spot is not won by one game, it's decided in 82. So add 82 times that one face-off lost and it starts to make a difference.

Anyway, I looked at this Namestnikov's history and it looks like he has played sometimes as center in Tampa years ago. So yes, that helps a little, as you don't just put a random winger who has never played center to anchor your second line.

But the bottom line is, Rangers can blame largely themselves for creating this problem and there might not be an optimal solution. The center line spot is basically the most difficult in the NHL, which is why every recent successful NHL team relies on having a good center depth. Just look at the difference Blues made in a year by hiring another elite center.
Good thing the Rangers aren’t exactly looking at this season like they’re going to win the Cup

Reactions: jas

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich line could be something very special. Not because they are the most talented combination. There IS a ton of talent but these guys are all tenacious in the way they hound the puck when they don’t have it to retrieve it.

Buchnevich is underrated on this line. Yes, he’s not at their Panarin or Zibanejad’s level but he could settle into a very good player in his own right.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan

Thanks, Loffen. I've been enjoying your videos for a decade.
This one will be my sustenance until the next game.

Panarin: I love that he plays hard without the puck. He's had several good, sneaky takeaways in these two games. IIRC he was also the guy who got back on Ottawa's 2 on 0. He seems to know all the options available, and can hit the trailer smoothly when beneficial. Fox and DeAngelo will have many opportunities this year.

Brendan Smith: His versatility has been valuable and he's given us minutes where we've needed them.

Fox: Was back to his confident self after one tough game.

HNIC broadcast: It's good to get away from the Rangers hype machine sometimes. They were impressed by Fox's composure and decision making. Even before the game started, they were starting to recognize the player that Zibanejad has become. A performance like tonight's then erases doubts.

Edit: The HNIC announcers were describing our 1st line the way we were describing Winnipeg's 1st line against us the other night. Just a force.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Said this the yesterday, I'd like to see it tried. Probably wuldn't change much, but you never know. They'd have to put Strome on his off-wing or do some bottom-6 line-juggling though. I don't know why people think Strome is good at face-offs.

Count me in too. I put it in the roster thread - Namestnikov is smart enough to work with high caliber players to support them. He works hard and pretty good defensively and at puck retrieving too. Quinn made a change on D after a win and he should make this change too
Kreider - Namestnikov - Kakko

Namestnikov - Strome - Fast was a good line toward the end of last season. How about giving Andersson a reward for a solid start but without overwhelming him
Strome - Andersson - Fast

Lemieux - Howden - Smith

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
That second Mika goal.

Pretty sure I blacked out from that.
I was watching and one second I'm wearing my pants, the next...where my pants go!?!?!

Seriously though, even ZBad's reaction was "Did we just do that?"

Thought Kakko was looking better, spent more time with the puck and more time trying to get it, but still at other times didn't seem in sync with his linemates or quite know where to go next. "solid" game where he again got a few chances but nothing quite going his way yet. Hopefully things continue getting a bit easier.
I saw him a step slow at times. I think he may be still getting used to processing the game at NHL speed.

Faceoffs are a poor reason not to put a guy at center.
I would think it's also how you lose face offs. Can't consistently lose them cleanly in the end zones.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Guys who are good at handling the puck and good at getting it make some bad passes. I can live with that.
No he's legit looked jittery for large parts of both games (to me anyway,) which is fine and probably should have been expected. He'll catch up. He's made many excellent plays as well.

Hajek and Trouba look like they communicate well on the ice, but I'm worried it's only a matter of time until the former spontaneously combusts.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Better game than the Winnipeg game, although I do wish we could have created more at 5v5 against this team, but with the forward corps we have that's going to be tough.

Thought Fox was fantastic, the way he reads the ice in all three zones is impressive.

SKjei, Staal and ADA struggled again IMO, Which is to be expected for the first two.

Reactions: Smart Alek

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ten faceoffs..instead of going 5 and 5 he goes 4 and 6. 1 faceoff difference. If he's better at basically everything else...who gives a flying frak about 1 faceoff.
Also can get a winger to take a faceoff if necessary.

Reactions: belford22

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Confirmation bias is strong with this post. Georgiev overall IS more composed in style than Lundqvist, but he has his fair share of scrambling and being caught out of position. All goalies do. It's more just you preferring his style than Lundqvist's. Teammates just want their goalie stopping the puck, I'm sure really chaotic goalies like Hasek and Tim Thomas' teammates were fine with them back there.

Glad you waited *checks notes* two games into the season before seeing all you needed to see. Terrific stuff.

I think close to a 50/50 split makes sense. Making Henrik literally the back up doesn't make much sense unless his and Georgie's play dictates it so. Two games into the season, one game where Lundqvist faced more scoring chances in a period than Georgiev did all night in his game, against the worst team in the NHL no less, is not enough. We should hope both goalies play well and we see a close to even split.

I get it, there's a segment of the fanbase that just wants all of the old gone and to move on with things but come on. Waiting two games into the season, with Georgiev facing fricking Ottawa of all teams. Give me a break.

Sure it's just two games into the season and sure Hank played a tougher opponent that Georgie and sure Hank still has some bullets left in his holster but that doesn't change the fact that for me personally and I've been thinking this since the 2nd half of last season after watching Hank and observing Georgie that this season should be the beginning of the handing off off of the torch so to speak.

This has nothing to do with me having a bias against Hank whatsoever or that I'm "all for the old gone" as you say, this has everything to do with my observations including the first two games of this year that IMO this team of ours would be better served if Georgie and not Hank played the majority of the games.

Now apparently seeing you are a proponent of them splitting the games on a roughly 50/50 basis and I'm more inclined to give Georgie a 50-32 edge in game, we really aren't that far off....now are we? We are talking only 8 more games for Georgie than you espouse too which is certainly not so much for you to get your panties all tied in knots....ya think?

And by the way just in the advent you think I'm anti-Hank which I'm certainly not, if Hank plays really well in the games he starts and he deservingly ends up being the guy that plays the majority of the games, I'll be more than fine with that. I just happen to think that the less Hank plays going forward, the better seeing I think he'll be more effective that way which in turn would be good for the team and isn't that what we all want...success for the team whether or not Hank plays 41 or so games like you want and 32 or so that I want?

Reactions: belford22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad