GDT: #2 - 10/14/21 | stars @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
+1. Some of us have been saying this all summer but many were content to go into the season with the same 3 centers. WE will pay the price. Strome sucks and Zib is too damn inconsistent. How many shots of his has missed the net so far in 2 games.

A few things.

1 - Strome always starts slow and then he catches fire. And we see his value again. It's annoying but that's what happens.

2 - When his game isn't going great, he needs to show up in his own zone for god's sake. He needs to play a 200 ft game. If he did, I would have zero problem with him. But he doesn't give enough effort in his own zone and he doesn't always take a hit to make a play. These are the habits that we must make sure Laf doesn't adopt fully. It's a problem.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
This is one of those buyer beware things. Chytil is not going to become a 2C just because he’s getting 2C reps. You can probably kiss the playoffs goodbye this year with Zibanejad-Chytil-XXX down the middle.

I don't agree. Chytil has so far been the best center this year. He is playing the right way. Maybe not perfectly but the right way. I wish I could say the same for Strome. Zibby was better today.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Well
The good
Fox, kakko, kreid, 4th line
The bad
Nils, tru, pan, stro, 3rd line
The ugly
Still convinced laf is not a special player
But we must remember stro and the whole top 6 started off last year slowly too
But still a disappointing start

Nope.

Trouba was fantastic all game. The 3rd line was fantastic as well. Nils wasn't great but he wasn't terrible. He was decent for his first ever NHL game.

Strome and panarin were not good. Agreed on that.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don't agree. Chytil has so far been the best center this year. He is playing the right way. Maybe not perfectly but the right way. I wish I could say the same for Strome. Zibby was better today.

It’s two games. Chytil looks a bit better this season as he continues to develop, but I have no reason to believe Zibanejad and Strome won’t match their play from last season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Another thing kakko has to score. He should honestly have 2 goals minimum. He’s got to bear down period. 3rd year in the league it’s time to finish.

Can’t keep missing these chances. He’s been a scorer his whole life. Let’s go kid.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I said during the off season and training camp that the best course for the Rangers would be to put Chytl in as 2C and see what he can do. If he works out, there's no need to scramble for another pivot. If he doesn't, we're right where we started from.
I don't think the Rangers are actually too concerned with their 2c position. I feel they are pretty comfortable with Chytil sliding up once Strome is gone. Chtyil is our best 5v5 center. No reason to rush him unless Strome struggles this season. Let Chytil continue to do the right things on both sides of the puck. We need our next 2c to be able to play a 2way game because I'm tired of seeing Kakko play 3f to cover for Strome.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It’s two games. Chytil looks a bit better this season as he continues to develop, but I have no reason to believe Zibanejad and Strome won’t match their play from last season.

I don't disagree. But I don't agree with the idea that Chytil can't be a 2c. It's nuts. He does so much out there to impact the game. He plays a more well-rounded game than Strome. Strome has better vision for sure but he relies on Panarin and his linemates to create space for him. And he doesn't play any damn D. And he is a mixed bag digging out pucks and taking contact. Stupid slashing penalty is a good example of him over relying on his stick in situations where a shoulder would be better.

Reactions: CLW

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
def better to watch at least. but regardless of how early it is, the mika line isn't going to work. pretty telling looking back from roughly the second they were on the same ice panarin was away from mika. not a secret how particular he is about his linemates. borth fooreward and d. i admittedly was all for locking mika in...but he's shown zero 5 on 5. 2 games in you might say whatever, long season. but this isn't new...the bubble showed it, multiple games we needed at least a point against good teams, he was a no show. for all the leadership i hear about in the locker room somehow it never shows on the ice. now that we're tethered to him we need to live in reality about what he is and how to try to push some production out of him. to me that means pairing him a laf with someone who will drive the bus pace wise. a small speedy type with some fire..care less about skill, what will put mika in his best spot to produce - turnovers into odd man rushes and pp one timers.

i'd be surprised if krav was that guy, personally i'd be open to giving it a look, but don't think his skating is anywhere close to what we need in that spot. besides, i get the impression - esp given his susvival amid the front office culling and subsequent removal of the entire hockey op team - that if drury holds an opinion of you or you cross him - you are gone forever.

strome himself has also looked meh, but kakko / panarin will bust out. strome does need to be off pp1, totql liability out there - ridiculous kakko or at least laf not in that spot now

defensively k'andre and lindgren have been atrocious to start. maybe they turn it around, but good god have they been bad.

trouba has been very good, fox has been godlike, nemeth is exactly what we thought we were getting - a welcome rarity.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Chytil looks much better this year to me but if we are to do well strome has to be a factor, he's notoriously a slow starter and he was injured as well so he's gonna need some runway. All that aside ive actually liked Chytil's evolution so far, he is doing something now that i always complained about and he's using his linemates more.

Reactions: Crease

Ned Braden

Feb 2, 2018
How is it even possible that we were down 5-1 late in the 3rd with no hope of tying it up and no one … not even our mercenaries brought in this past offseason… no one even challenged Wilson?

Because Washington had the last change, and up 5-1 in the third didn't put Wilson out there with any of said mercenaries.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is one of those buyer beware things. Chytil is not going to become a 2C just because he’s getting 2C reps. You can probably kiss the playoffs goodbye this year with Zibanejad-Chytil-XXX down the middle.

theyre never gonna know until they try him there for an extended period of time.
Chytil has proved himself in small sample sizes.
Eventually your going to have to take the chance or upgrade.
Me personally, would rather know this season rather then waiting 1 more full year.
It would give us a better picture what we have to do at the TDL/offseason.
They plan in the grand scheme of things is to try chytil as 2C anyway. All they did by keeping strome this season Is delay delay the evaluation for another year or so.
Chytil might surprise and rise to the occasion. He’s a guy that would really benefit from Panarins magical passes because Chytil is one of our only players that looks to shoot first from wherever he is on the ice

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Panarin made a bad play and some are pulling their hair out. He has been just fine, so far.

With Staal gone, Strome has become the prime whipping boy, because some fans always need whipping boys.

Funny how the team is playing with the same effectiveness with Gallant as Quinn, so far. Imagine the hysteria after these two games if Quinn was still here.

Zac Jones should be here instead of Miller, Nemeth and Tinordi.

Tom Wilson killed all of management last season and turned Drury into an idiot, presuming he wasn't one before.

They might as well have Dolan as GM. He could have gotten all those big, strong guys who don't help the team, too.

Despite all this, I still think they're a playoff team. If they don't make it, why did we bring in Gallant?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Panarin made a bad play and some are pulling their hair out. He has been just fine, so far.

With Staal gone, Strome has become the prime whipping boy, because some fans always need whipping boys.

Funny how the team is playing with the same effectiveness with Gallant as Quinn, so far. Imagine the hysteria after these two games if Quinn was still here.

Zac Jones should be here instead of Miller, Nemeth and Tinordi.

Tom Wilson killed all of management last season and turned Drury into an idiot, presuming he wasn't one before.

They might as well have Dolan as GM. He could have gotten all those big, strong guys who don't help the team, too.

Despite all this, I still think they're a playoff team. If they don't make it, why did we bring in Gallant?

Hm, I thought Miller was actually really good last game.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
If we win the next game, we’re 1-1-1, not the worst start in the world, let’s right this ship on Saturday. I’m liking how good we look with the forechecking pressure and getting the puck back to the point for Fox the magician to scan the ice and make a play. Not worried about Panarin and Strome. I’m worried about Zibanejad and Lafreniere who are invisible. This guy is a 1st overall playing like Phil Digiussepe. I’d like to inject some speed into this lineup, go out and get Carl Hagelin at the deadline would be my move, he transforms his whole Line and makes it dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad