GDT: #2 - 01/16/21 | islanders @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
That game wasn't officiated well at all but it can still be a problem if the Rangers (including Quinn) are seen around the league as an especially whiny group. Look at how Lemieux never gets the benefit of the doubt on anything.

I think this kind of scratch is a way for Quinn to communicate with Tony that worked last year. Was the extra penalty a big deal in that game situation, not really. How long is it gonna "work" for, who knows, you're not going to change his personality and there are situations where his personality helps him too. Maybe he wouldn't have even made it to the show as a less assertive guy. Does Jack Johnson need to play every game, please God no. I'm more worried on the player development side, that he might have an easier time getting through to Tony than some of the young guys.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I didn’t notice Lindgren (or fox except for a few PP plays). That’s a good thing for that disaster of a game
Fox got pickpocketed by Barzal by taking his sweet time coming up the ice, no excuse for that. No one looked good on D at all sans Lindgren who didn’t stand out (in a good way), the offense was disjointed at best but the Isles are good at doing that. The team needs to protect their own zone and let the game come offensively. Our 4th line had the best zone time and chances through the first half of the game, what does that tell you...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Even if you are the third or fourth best salesman in a company, if you have attitude problems or have an incident of misconduct, your boss or employer for sure is going to make a disciplinary move.

Yah it’s naive to think a large corporation wouldn’t have a code of conduct or ethics and would just ignore them because an employee is good at their job.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Fox got pickpocketed by Barzal by taking his sweet time coming up the ice, no excuse for that. No one looked good on D at all sans Lindgren who didn’t stand out (in a good way), the offense was disjointed at best but the Isles are good at doing that. The team needs to protect their own zone and let the game come offensively. Our 4th line had the best zone time and chances through the first half of the game, what does that tell you...
They need to start the game conservative, just to get settled. The Isles are not some offensive juggernaut. Just make sure they don't give up breakaways or 2-on-1 by turning it over that the blue line, just f***ing dump and chase or change a little bit, try to be too cute and they'll pay, the Islanders have a very annoying habit of converting on the few chances they do get.

Reactions: romba

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
The benching isn’t going to do anything. That’s just his personality. He’s not giving to sit there and think before he acts. Everything happens in the moment. Either you can live with on the team as a hot head or you don’t have him on the team.

The game was out of hand at that point anyway. The penalty meant nothing.

All benching him does is reduce the teams chances to win the next game.

What the benching is going to do is turn the locker room against him. This is the first game and there are obviously frustrations because we were losing. What Tony did was stupid but benching Tony in that situation shows that Quinn is "making an example" out of him, which in my opinion is already very arguable as the precedent has not been set this season that Tony is out of control. But for Quinn to go further and scratch him the next game is boneheaded. Not only does it show that Quinn has no confidence in Tony correcting himself, but it shows that Quinn thinks we have a better chance at winning without Tony. And the worst part? If we do happen to win, Quinn will keep these same lines rolling, because of course you can't ruin a winning streak.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Last game the team was such a mess in practically every single area of the game I really don't know what we can hope for tonight. I mean, any signs of structure and puck support and showing some muscle in front of our keeper. Those things are all I'm hoping for. I almost don't care if we win. I want to just see a professional hockey team out there. Last game was like watching the first 30 min of the original Mighty Ducks movie.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
No, but slamming a door in anger and taking an extra 2 mins in penalty time is both misconduct and sabotaging your own team.

Situational frustration. The game was 4-0 and long over already.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lindy Ruff’s team looks a million times more structured than ours. Wonder why that is

but Ruff was the reason the Rangers defense was so bad last season . . . and started out bad despite him not being here.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Youngest team in league, with no pre-season, loses opener to an elite team, and people want to fire the coach.

And if you think Isles aren't a top team, you're not paying attention, at least based on last season.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Situational frustration. The game was 4-0 and long over already.

No one else acted like that. There's no excuse.

Don't misunderstand, this wasn't the main issue with that game, but I don't mind Quinn punishing something as totally unavoidable as that penalty.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Must take advantage (pun intended) of power plays, which we didn't. Part of the reason was we couldn't get inside posts on them (both 5 on 5 and on special teams). I remember someone saying after having the puck in their zone for 1:30 and with their PKers out of breath, Bread throws a wrist shot from the outside. Need to figure out how to get inside.
High slot tips to open up the cross seam passes. But the Rangers were high off last year’s PP and read the hype on their skill. Looking for the tic tac toe slam dunk won’t work unless you back down the PKers and move them out of the passing lanes. Mika tried a few one time surprises from non-ideal shooting spots and actually had our best chances on the man advantage doing it. Look how many goals are scored by the elite shooters in this league from weird/bad angles, you might get a tip, goalie might be unprepared etc. And can this team take a shot and then keep the play and cycle moving for once??? One and done is too easy for the opposition.

oh yea and crash the net, take a cross check or two and go flying into the goalie, make it uncomfortable for Varlamov please. Guy settled into the game like his favorite easy chair in front of the TV.

Reactions: will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad