GDT: #2 - 01/16/21 | islanders @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This is a big one. I don’t know how many times our guys had the puck inside our blue line with little to no pressure but were basically standing still, looking up ice or passing to their D partner back and forth and the camera wasn’t showing the up ice situation but all I could think was “no one is getting open, no one is moving their feet”.
Yeah. The isles didn't have an aggressive forecheck that I can remember but there were lots of turnovers when we tried lateral passes. Another thing to me was that we couldn't post up and get inside on them in the offensive zone.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah. The isles didn't have an aggressive forecheck that I can remember but there were lots of turnovers when we tried lateral passes. Another thing to me was that we couldn't post up and get inside on them in the offensive zone.

It’s easy to sit 5 men back and just cut off all the options up ice if no one is going to move their feet or swing back to present a breakout option. Our breakout was atrocious but it wasn’t on the inability of the dmen to move the puck but on the forwards not working to give them an option.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
voodoo-doll-new-york-islanders.gif

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
It’s easy to sit 5 men back and just cut off all the options up ice if no one is going to move their feet or swing back to present a breakout option. Our breakout was atrocious but it wasn’t on the inability of the dmen to move the puck but on the forwards not working to give them an option.
As you said, by the look of how the D were moving up ice, the Fs were probably standing at the blue line off- camera

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
They clogged the neutral zone and seams. Plenty of instances where Fox was skating the puck slowly out of the zone because there were no passes he could've made. Miller in those early shifts was a combination of being lost and also not able to move the puck due to lack of options.

The Islanders are a tough team to play against--if you give them a couple goal lead they're pretty close to impossible to play against. I hate them but they're a good team. K'Andre looked pretty nervous the first couple periods. Fox had a couple head up his ass plays. The Johnson/DeAngelo pairing did not play well--the Trouba/Miller pairing didn't look good either.

Reactions: romba

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The first 5-10 minutes tonight are the most important. Have to set a different tone early, show some urgency. Can’t get down early again or this team is gonna mentally fold.

Reactions: will1066

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Just show a modicum of structure to build off tonight and i'll be happy. Solid defense and tape to tape passes. Get pucks through to the net and crash the crease, lets start at the basics and build from there.

LGR!

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The Islanders are a tough team to play against--if you give them a couple goal lead they're pretty close to impossible to play against. I hate them but they're a good team. K'Andre looked pretty nervous the first couple periods. Fox had a couple head up his ass plays. The Johnson/DeAngelo pairing did not play well--the Trouba/Miller pairing didn't look good either.
Must take advantage (pun intended) of power plays, which we didn't. Part of the reason was we couldn't get inside posts on them (both 5 on 5 and on special teams). I remember someone saying after having the puck in their zone for 1:30 and with their PKers out of breath, Bread throws a wrist shot from the outside. Need to figure out how to get inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The first 5-10 minutes tonight are the most important. Have to set a different tone early, show some urgency. Can’t get down early again or this team is gonna mentally fold.

I give our chances tonight like 20% at best, our 3rd best offensive player is out, our coach is in over his head, and nothing gave me hope last game. 4-0, 4-1 final again.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
this isn’t true.

He deked himself into an unscreened opportunity from 20 feet out

A better defensive defenseman would have played the body there. The play was right there.

I don't have skin in this game, I'd rather see ADA play, but he was a horror show last game (Of course, so were the other five)

Reactions: 28BHM

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I can take Jack Johnson being shit.

I can't take the coach deciding to scratch another defenseman instead of him.

I swear there was a list of players somewhere that all coaches work together to give jobs to and never bench them for any reason

This has been an issue every single season. There's always at least one of these players on our team and it doesn't matter who the coach is

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
There were 6 penalties outside of those 2, and 7 outside of the unsportsmanlike, but sure let's single Tony out.
I mean, I don’t love Quinn, but yeah single out the guy who took an extra penalty in a game where penalties killed you because he could t keep his mouth shut. It’s not like he had to make a hard choice to prevent a chance or something, it was purely because he was a hothead at a stupid time. I really don’t get why people are surprised by this or think it’s so crazy. The team is young, guys need to know not to be selfish like that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I mean, I don’t love Quinn, but yeah single out the guy who took an extra penalty in a game where penalties killed you because he could t keep his mouth shut. It’s not like he had to make a hard choice to prevent a chance or something, it was purely because he was a hothead at a stupid time. I really don’t get why people are surprised by this or think it’s so crazy. The team is young, guys need to know not to be selfish like that.

He should have benched him for the rest of the game and been done with it. It was 4-0 at that point anyway, that extra penalty meant nothing.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

The benching isn’t going to do anything. That’s just his personality. He’s not giving to sit there and think before he acts. Everything happens in the moment. Either you can live with on the team as a hot head or you don’t have him on the team.

The game was out of hand at that point anyway. The penalty meant nothing.

All benching him does is reduce the teams chances to win the next game.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Their number 1 goal should be winning games, not appeasing angry keyboard warriors on twitter.

This is giving the Rangers too much credit. They are usually one of the last teams in the league to comment on social issues. It’s more likely that Quinn and Gorton are personally fed up with Tony’s actions. There are a lot of things that are more important than winning a hockey game.

On top of that, you’re acting like they are forfeiting a game by scratching a player that got absolutely walked last game and in the bubble. In reality, it maybe lowers their probability of winning by a couple percentage points, if that.

Reactions: 28BHM

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He should have benched him for the rest of the game and been done with it. It was 4-0 at that point anyway, that extra penalty meant nothing.

Again, it’s a very young team - you probably don’t want to set the precedent that it’s okay to take stupid selfish penalties if you’re down a few because there’s no hope of coming back anyway. I like TDA as a player and don’t love Quinn much, but this is not an inexplicable decision at all to me.

The benching isn’t going to do anything. That’s just his personality. He’s not giving to sit there and think before he acts. Everything happens in the moment. Either you can live with on the team as a hot head or you don’t have him on the team.

The game was out of hand at that point anyway. The penalty meant nothing.

All benching him does is reduce the teams chances to win the next game.

He went from a guy who gets traded repeatedly to a top offensive d-man under Quinn. Quinn doesn’t have much to suggest he’s good at developing players but Tony turning into something under him is one of those few things. I think he understands Tony pretty well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is giving the Rangers too much credit. They are usually one of the last teams in the league to comment on social issues. It’s more likely that Quinn and Gorton are personally fed up with Tony’s actions. There are a lot of things that are more important than winning a hockey game.

On top of that, you’re acting like they are forfeiting a game by scratching a player that got absolutely walked last game and in the bubble. In reality, it maybe lowers their probability of winning by a couple percentage points, if that.

There are more important things in life than winning a hockey game, not when you're a hockey organization. If the guy's a rapist or murderer then yes you cut him even if you think he's a great player. But this isn't the case.

The guy is probably our 4th best player and 3rd best offensive player. We didn't get any chances offensively last game.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
There are more important things in life than winning a hockey game, not when you're a hockey organization. If the guy's a rapist or murderer then yes you cut him even if you think he's a great player. But this isn't the case.

The guy is probably our 4th best player and 3rd best offensive player. We didn't get any chances offensively last game.
Even if you are the third or fourth best salesman in a company, if you have attitude problems or have an incident of misconduct, your boss or employer for sure is going to make a disciplinary move.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad