1st round picks last 5 years

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
in 3 years the only top 6 stanley cup winning talent I see in Chicago is Saad, TT, Teows and Kane. Hossa will be 38 and sharp will be 35 and one of them will have to go to keep Saad and the other will be borderline top 6 due to age. We will have 2 top 6 openings in the next 3 years and Bickell Morin Steeg could all play in the top 6 but I'm not sure I would have ever called them top 6 talent. If you are paired with Teows and kane on a line you are going to look really good. Hartman and Shaw are similar and IMO are good 3rd line wings on a Stanley cup team. Mcneil is a bruiser but looks more like a third liner on the high end as well IMO. Nick S has just not done enough of anything to say he projects top 6 at this point. All anybody has said is he has good hands. he is small, Avg speed when you factor in his size, Is not considered a strong 2-way guy. Of all the guys outside of the 4 I mentioned he would have the most upside but I would never say at this point for sure he is top 6.

I understand your side that we can stash Nick for 3 years and others only 1 so that is a advantage. I just have started getting the feeling that Stan is putting too much weight into that factor is all.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
in 3 years the only top 6 stanley cup winning talent I see in Chicago is Saad, TT, Teows and Kane. Hossa will be 38 and sharp will be 35 and one of them will have to go to keep Saad and the other will be borderline top 6 due to age. We will have 2 top 6 openings in the next 3 years and Bickell Morin Steeg could all play in the top 6 but I'm not sure I would have ever called them top 6 talent. If you are paired with Teows and kane on a line you are going to look really good. Hartman and Shaw are similar and IMO are good 3rd line wings on a Stanley cup team. Mcneil is a bruiser but looks more like a third liner on the high end as well IMO. Nick S has just not done enough of anything to say he projects top 6 at this point. All anybody has said is he has good hands. he is small, Avg speed when you factor in his size, Is not considered a strong 2-way guy. Of all the guys outside of the 4 I mentioned he would have the most upside but I would never say at this point for sure he is top 6.

I understand your side that we can stash Nick for 3 years and others only 1 so that is a advantage. I just have started getting the feeling that Stan is putting too much weight into that factor is all.

It's always easy to prognosticate the demise of elite players, but rarely do those guesses come to exact fruition. A 2nd line LW/RW really only needs to put up 50 points. I have a hard time believing either Hossa or Sharp unable to do that in 3 years. Of course Saad will have to be a 1st line winger putting up 60-70 points for the transition to be smooth, and that's another story.

Bickell and Shaw have the capability of being a 2nd line winger, but of course the team is better when they are on the 3rd line.

At this point, 3 years down the road is hard to project because we can only guess at the cap and who will have to be traded next year to fit under it.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So, you base your opinions on who to draft entirely on the "scouting service".

There is likely a reason why the scouts who make up the "scouting service" aren't on any NHL team's payroll.

For what it's worth, NHL scouts and management use some of the more reputable services as a cross reference and often speak to members of those staffs at the rinks fairly regularly for their takes on players. Many of those guys find their way on to CHL and NHL clubs eventually.

That said, basing your opinion solely on those for who to draft without seeing any of the players yourself isn't a great idea.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

You do realize that when we picked Sharp up he wasn't anything much? He got better as time went on. Same could happen with Morin, Hartman, or any other young forward on this team.

And Last year we had 5 top forwards (Sharp, Toews, Hossa, Saad, Kane), in 3 years we're all but guaranteed to have 4 (Toews, Kane, Saad, Teravainen), and that isn't including any of our prospects (besides for TT) or any player we acquire from the trades this team will be forced to make.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If you're going to mention Skille over Kopitar (in 2005, was Stan out of college yet?), be sure to avoid the main boards where teams still get angry that they passed on Saad and Teravainen.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
While I get the point of pointing out Skille over Kopitar, you can pick apart any team's draft in history to find instances like that where a dud was taken and studs were taken after. Difference this time is, though, most even at the time knew Skille was a reach that high, but still, you can do this for any GM or team's staff in any given draft year looking back in history. Not saying they didn't have some "meh" scouts on staff at the time, but that kind of thing can be found anywhere.

That particular one really does sting, though.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Hawks have a number of prospects that have top-6 potential. Teravainen, Schmaltz, Hartman, McNeill, Danault, Hinostroza, Broadhurst.

The Hawks don't have a lot of guys that look to be great/dynamic top-6 forwards.. Which is what happens when you draft in the back-half of drafts for 5 years.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
While I get the point of pointing out Skille over Kopitar, you can pick apart any team's draft in history to find instances like that where a dud was taken and studs were taken after. Difference this time is, though, most even at the time knew Skille was a reach that high, but still, you can do this for any GM or team's staff in any given draft year looking back in history. Not saying they didn't have some "meh" scouts on staff at the time, but that kind of thing can be found anywhere.

That particular one really does sting, though.
But look at it this way, if we take Kopitar over Skille, we might not had been in the position to draft Toews and Kane either, it worked out in the end...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad