1st round picks last 5 years

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I was not very happy with the blackhawks draft this year. I was much happier last year. If I did it myself I would have taken Ho-sang or Kemp with the 1st pick. Glover with the 62 pick and Anton karrelson with the late 3rd, I think We did not get anymore talent by trading up and really reached with both our late 3rd picks, I think they both might have been there in the 5th round. Getting a 3rd for Bollig was big but I'm not sure we turned those into prospects that look like they could play in the NHL. IMO.

Fairly certain the Hawks scouts know just a little bit more than you.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Teravainen will be a Hawk, at the latest, the start of the 2015-16 season.

I could see one of Hartman, McNeill or Danault making the Hawks in 2015-16 too.

I don't think Schmaltz will spend 4 years at College. Don't forget, the Hawks wanted to sign both Johns and Hayes after their Junior seasons. I think Schmaltz will spend 3 years at ND, and sign with the Hawks after his Junior season. I could see him making the Hawks in the season following him leaving College.

I keep seeing the 4 years at ND for Schmaltz as well, but I am not buying it.

I would be shocked if he spent more then 2 years there.

Just because he turns pro doesn't mean he is ready to be a full-time NHLer. I see Schmaltz as a two year and done player. His talent and skillset will allow him to turn pro as long as his work ethic follows suit.

I then can see Schmaltz spending one year in Rockford like TT will this year. No reason to keep a player in college for the sake of it. There is always room in Rockford for a stud offensive talent, as in 3 years time we have no clue what spots will be open in Rockford.

So again I do not expect Schmaltz to enter his junior year in college. I expect him turning pro by year 3 and then in a Hawks uniform in his senior season. This still follows suit for what Bowman looks for with not rushing players (4 years since his draft to reach the NHL).

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Fairly certain the Hawks scouts know just a little bit more than you.

I guess I was under the misconception that this was a blackhawks message board where you could discuss player's and Rosters and drafts without someone trying to insult your opinions.

pretty much every scouting service that I read before the draft had Kemp and Ho-sung rated the same or slighlty above Nick. So giving up the 62 pick for similar talent did not seem like a good value move. Every rating service also had Iacoppelli and Starett rated much lower then late 3rd. So I guess the Hawks scouts knew more then everyone. I think with Stan's insistence to take guys that are going to college he ends up passing up more talented players. IMO.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Wanted no part of Glover so I'm glad they didn't take him and I'm fine with the Schmaltz pick over Ho-Sang. Iacopelli was a bit of a reach.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh, for all we know in five years each and every player we drafted this year will be a full time starter with us while a team everybody assumed had a slam dunk draft will have nobody but an AHLer or two out of who they picked.

I agree that a few of our picks seemed like stretches, and I would've gone after Ho-Sang in the first, but way too early to be upset or celebrate anybody's draft and I won't pretend to pay even so much as 1% of the attention that the scouting department does on prospects.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
They sure do. Those same scouts picked Skille over Kopitar.
I dont think the scouting staff personal is the same since that draft. Cant be absolutely sure b/c I dont keep up on the movement but I think many have changed since then.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
Fairly certain there are probably only a few, if any, scouts left from the Tallon days. Our scouting and management is 10x better than it was in those days.

About half. Dumas who was the worst of the worst is gone. He was around for decades and was the idiot who didn't want anything to do with drafting D. Savard.
You can also blame him for Skille over Kopitar and those are some of many examples. Without a doubt the worst of the worst!

R. Pulford Jr. is gone but there are still some clowns like him from the past. Just not as many. It has gone from horrible to acceptable but far from outstanding. You have to get rid of the other half to have a chance at outstanding.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
About half. Dumas who was the worst of the worst is gone. He was around for decades and was the idiot who didn't want anything to do with drafting D. Savard.
You can also blame him for Skille over Kopitar and those are some of many examples. Without a doubt the worst of the worst!

R. Pulford Jr. is gone but there are still some clowns like him from the past. Just not as many. It has gone from horrible to acceptable but far from outstanding. You have to get rid of the other half to have a chance at outstanding.

I would say it has been outstanding considering where they pick every year and how much talent we have already got out of the drafts compared to most other teams in our position.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I would say it has been outstanding considering where they pick every year and how much talent we have already got out of the drafts compared to most other teams in our position.

It can't be outstanding when the guys haven't made it up and either performed or washed out. PENDING is the word right now.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It can't be outstanding when the guys haven't made it up and either performed or washed out. PENDING is the word right now.

They hit on Kayes, who will be an NHLer at some point, with us or not.
Johns is pretty much guaranteed an NHL roster spot soon.
Nordstrom has already played in the NHL

Saad and Shaw, enough said
Clendening well on his way to the NHL
Jury is out on McNeil and Danault, but they appear destined for the NHL in some capacity.

TT

Looks to be our best draft year out of all of them.

Most are pending, but I bet a lot of teams wish they had our picks over the last 5 years instead of their own.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
I guess I was under the misconception that this was a blackhawks message board where you could discuss player's and Rosters and drafts without someone trying to insult your opinions.

pretty much every scouting service that I read before the draft had Kemp and Ho-sung rated the same or slighlty above Nick. So giving up the 62 pick for similar talent did not seem like a good value move. Every rating service also had Iacoppelli and Starett rated much lower then late 3rd. So I guess the Hawks scouts knew more then everyone. I think with Stan's insistence to take guys that are going to college he ends up passing up more talented players. IMO.

You bring up some very valid points. I think many get excited on the Hawks scouts who overall are average at best. This is easy to do since they had decades of picks that were busts. Too many to mention. Half or so of the clowns (cronies) are still there.
It's too early to tell on a lot of these picks but at least they make some sense. That's a heck of a lot better than it use to be. Bowman is nothing but a puppet and pretty much does what he is told. That's why he can never make a major deal that can improve this club. He is nothing but a figure head.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
You bring up some very valid points. I think many get excited on the Hawks scouts who overall are average at best. This is easy to do since they had decades of picks that were busts. Too many to mention. Half or so of the clowns (cronies) are still there.
It's too early to tell on a lot of these picks but at least they make some sense. That's a heck of a lot better than it use to be. Bowman is nothing but a puppet and pretty much does what he is told. That's why he can never make a major deal that can improve this club. He is nothing but a figure head.

He cant make a major move because we're up against the cap.
What do we give up for a major deal? Teams aren't giving their players away; especially for the players we don't need.
Should we overpay through free agency? Statsny is a whopping 7million for the team he grew up with. Again, we have a cap limit.

Can I ask you to make a noticeable better hawks team that you think is viable through capgeek? Keep it cap compliant, and be realistic in any trades. Please post it when your done, I'm a bit curious to see how it comes out.

Last edited:

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I dont think even half of the scouts are still here. Again I havent kept up but I think most of them have been hired under Bowman. Agreed Dumas and RPulford were bad, could be the worst, especially Dumas.

Calling Bowman a puppet is going too far. I dont know why you would think that. Im not thrilled with all his moves, especially with old players like Brunette, Khabibulin, Morrison and contract signings but com'on. He retooled after '10 losing 10, 11 players. CMS pointed out hes up against the cap and isnt going to let other teams poach just b/c of the situation.

Hawknut 1

Jul 26, 2014
I dont think even half of the scouts are still here. Again I havent kept up but I think most of them have been hired under Bowman. Agreed Dumas and RPulford were bad, could be the worst, especially Dumas.

Calling Bowman a puppet is going too far. I dont know why you would think that. Im not thrilled with all his moves, especially with old players like Brunette, Khabibulin, Morrison and contract signings but com'on. He retooled after '10 losing 10, 11 players. CMS pointed out hes up against the cap and isnt going to let other teams poach just b/c of the situation.

It is about half. Franklin is probably the biggest cronie standout right now. Franklin is better than Dumas. I can list the other ones down the chain but close to half are still here. Dumas WAS NOT let go. He retired. The crony of all cronies and was there after all the initial changes. HORRIBLE!

Bowman hasn't done much past the 2010 retool. At the trade deadline he falls a sleep and fails to make a move to improve this club. How long has this team needed a #2 center. I guess you can't have that since your to busy overpaying for players.

He told the world the team needed goalie help and a season later he signs Crawford to a huge contract. Goes to show you how much of a handle he has.

Bowman hasn't really hurt this club except by overspending but it sure hasn't helped it.

Q is so good that B.Smith had to give him pointers on how to coach. What a joke that was. For good reason of course but it doesn't look like it helped much.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It is about half. Franklin is probably the biggest cronie standout right now. Franklin is better than Dumas. I can list the other ones down the chain but close to half are still here. Dumas WAS NOT let go. He retired. The crony of all cronies and was there after all the initial changes. HORRIBLE!

Bowman hasn't done much past the 2010 retool. At the trade deadline he falls a sleep and fails to make a move to improve this club. How long has this team needed a #2 center. I guess you can't have that since your to busy overpaying for players.

He told the world the team needed goalie help and a season later he signs Crawford to a huge contract. Goes to show you how much of a handle he has.

Bowman hasn't really hurt this club except by overspending but it sure hasn't helped it.

Q is so good that B.Smith had to give him pointers on how to coach. What a joke that was. For good reason of course but it doesn't look like it helped much.

What goes so underappreciated on this board, especially by the likes of you and coldsteel, is that knowing when not to make a move is as important as knowing when to make a move.

And what players has Bowman overpaid? Bickell would have gotten more on the market. Even at 4M, he's only about 500K overpaid for what he is (15-20G, 35-40Pts forward). Crawford? Yeah, I'd say he's about 1M overpaid. Tough to argue with his resume to that point though - and to those that argued waiting until this off-season, Crawford was again good in the regular season and was outstanding through 2 rounds of the playoffs. And if I have to listen to one more moron say he was **** against LA, newsflash: Quick was also **** in the series too. Neither goaltender was on their game.

People are so caught up in why a player shouldn't make this or that, well, Crawford and Quick's career numbers are near identical and at the end of the day, that's what counts. Crawford plays on a strong possession team, Quick plays on a great defensive team.

Jonathan Quick, 28; Reg: GP335, 176W, 31SO, 2.28GAA, .915Sv% | Playoffs: 76GP, 45W, 9SO, 2.22GAA, .923Sv%

Corey Crawford, 29; Reg: GP211, 115W, 10SO, 2.36GAA, .914Sv% | Playoffs: GP56, 32W, 3SO, 2.21GAA, .920Sv%

Both have Cups. One has a Conn Smythe - the other should.

Now, make a legitimate argument as to why Quick deserves 7M per year (which is his salary, obviously his caphit is lower) while Crawford doesn't deserve 6M. I don't want to hear any ******** about how Quick is more athletic, Crawford isn't this, Quick is that. At the end of the day, it comes down to numbers and consistency. Both have been consistency good in the regular season, and consistently great in the playoffs.

You may not think the Hawks need to pay a goaltender 6M per, but you can't argue that Crawford's value isn't in that range compared to other goaltenders in the NHL.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

So, you base your opinions on who to draft entirely on the "scouting service".

There is likely a reason why the scouts who make up the "scouting service" aren't on any NHL team's payroll.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

The hawks have other considerations to consider beyond just skill of draftees. We have a roster that is locked in and Rockford is bottlenecking.

Do you realize we have 13 prospect forwards and 8 defensemen in Rockford? Is Josh HoSang going to be ok toiling in the minors like Ben Smith?! We need to draft and stash guys outside the NHL/AHL. Look at McNeill. He was a CHL guy and he might spend 3 seasons in the minors.

When you have a full roster, guys start getting disgruntled like the Pirri/Olsen/Morin class. Some will be willing to ride it out, some won't and you'll get pennies on the dollar for them. Teuvo Teravainen can't even find a spot on our ulster right now.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I understand the Hawks roster is pretty stocked right now, and I liked the idea of trading up. I also liked the Idea of drafting a guy going to college to not have to sign him for 2-3 years. That said Hawks have a ton of bottom 6 and 3rd pairing NHL talent. Name me 1 guy that you feel strongly is top 6 or top 4 other then TT ( not saying some could be but I don't see any locks even on the d side where we are much deeper)? That is why I would have traded up and gone for the highest end talent I could get at 20. which would looked to be Kaspari. Yes that guy is looking to be in the NHL in 2 years but you should not pass up top 6 talent so you can stock pile bottom 6? Its a top 6 league. The Hawks best picks the past 2-3 years have been guys that were rated highly and then slid a bit due to 1 or 2 bad outings. TT was penciled in top 10 and slipped to 18 Saad was a sure 1st rounder and then had a soso last year and slid. Kasperi was thought of as a top 10 talent and had a bad tournament and he slid to 22. Its great to stash guys but a team like the hawks that will always be drafting late and probably have lots of Picks should always go with the guy with the highest upside early. lets talk in a year about Schamaltz and Kasperi and we can see who is correct.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You asked me for who, outside of TT is a top 6 talent. Id flip that and ask you what top 6 spots we need to fill?

Toews and Kane are here for 8 years. Saad is here long term. Sharp for 3 more years, Hossa for 2-3 more years.

We have one open spot at 2C. That's Teravainen's spot. You might say "yea but we will have to deal Sharp after this year".
1) we might not need to trade anyone out of our top 6. Bickell+Versteeg will do it.
2) if we do we will get 1 or 2 top 6 assets for him. (Probably a 1st rounder+ top 6 player or prospect)

Having said all that. I think Morin is a top 6er. Schmaltz is a top 6 talent. Shaw could be a top 6 W. Hinostroza and Hayden could be top 6ers. McNeill could very easily be a top 6er (PF take a long time to develop). Hartman had top 6 potential.

I'm much more concerned with finding future top 1/2 D. But we have 5 or so years to get lucky on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad