Pre-Game Talk: 1st Round Opponent: Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Seemed to work well with Homer. We all know he did well with Hull.

Who did Hossa play most with in 2009? He did reach 40 goals... I know he played at least some of it with Datsyuk.

yeah. he scored 26 goals 5on5 and 19 of them came with datsyuk. though to me, they didn't seem to have as good chemistry as stats say they did.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Seemed to work well with Homer. We all know he did well with Hull.

Who did Hossa play most with in 2009? He did reach 40 goals... I know he played at least some of it with Datsyuk.

Homer, outside of Z, was the Datsyuk's best linemate. The problem was that Homer only had about 2-3 good years of hockey left by the time Babcock put them together. After that Babcock kept him with Datsyuk for too long. To the point that Homer had become a liability (much the same way that he kept Bertuzzi and Cleary in the top 6 for far too long.).. But when he was still playing he was the ultimate 3rd wheel for Datsyuk. He was a great at winning puck battles and cycling, but he was also smart enough to know that he had to get Datsyuk the puck back.

Hossa started the season with Datsyuk and Homer. They had some moments of greatness, but far too many moments of no chemistry. They could still produce some, because they were two talented individuals who could capitalize out of thin air, but they were far too much not on the same page. Datsyuk would go too many shifts without even touching the puck because Hossa would be rushing/attacking individually. It was a waste of Datsyuk basically. Hossa could have done the same thing with anyone.

Around the New Year, Babcock switched Hossa and Franzen. Datsyuk, Franzen, and Holmstrom were dominant and played much better as a unit than Datsyuk/Hossa. Unfortunately, Hossa and Z were even worse than Datsyuk and Hossa. Z and Hossa spent far too much time in the defensive zone some games. Like it was shockingly bad some games. Instead of simply putting Datsyuk and Z back together or putting Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa all on separate lines, Babcock forced Hossa back with Datsyuk to finish the year out. IMO he outcoached himself. I get the idea of wanting two of the best 2-way centers down the middle, but they were so dominant together and they didn't even get a lick of ice time together at even strength that season until game 5 of the Finals when Datsyuk was hobbled and just returning from his injury.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom was one of the most dominant lines of the past decade.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom was one of the most dominant lines of the past decade.

Yes it was. And 2008 Detroit was one of the most dominant, accomplished teams in the past decade plus. And yet despite all of that, that line never played a single shift together the following season despite all 3 players still being there.

Babcock said at the time that the addition of Hossa allowed him to keep Datsyuk and Zetterberg separated. I always viewed it as that team was perfect as was and Hossa only added another weapon to the 2nd line and PP. Some things, such as the chemistry of that 2008 line, should outweigh one's coaching ideologies. Breaking up that line is something that I've always and will always strongly disagree with.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yes it was. And 2008 Detroit was one of the most dominant, accomplished teams in the past decade plus. And yet despite all of that, that line never played a single shift together the following season despite all 3 players still being there.

Babcock said at the time that the addition of Hossa allowed him to keep Datsyuk and Zetterberg separated. I always viewed it as that team was perfect as was and Hossa only added another weapon to the 2nd line and PP. Some things, such as the chemistry of that 2008 line, should outweigh one's coaching ideologies. Breaking up that line is something that I've always and will always strongly disagree with.

I don't quite remember, but did Hossa and Filppula get a lot of time together?

For some reason I feel like that was the best combination.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005

Yup. Actually, during the Ducks series Babcock had Flip with Hossa and Franzen and they were outstanding. Hossa thrived with Flip because he could dominate the puck and Flip played a more north/south game. Hossa looked his best with Flip. Hank and Hossa was a disaster and Pav and Hossa never clicked consistently.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, I think it was late in the Anaheim series that Hossa and Datsyuk finally got split up and then eventually during the Chicago series when Datsyuk was out. It was pretty much the first time all year that Hossa played with a center not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg and it was maybe the best he looked from a possession standpoint. They really clicked and it was just like, why couldn't you try this combo and keep Datsyuk and Zetterberg together throughout the season? Why did he have to wait til then? Fortunately, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Cleary really clicked and dominated as a line to keep the winning going.

And wow, Brad Richards turning back the clock on the PP as I'm typing.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Yup. Actually, during the Ducks series Babcock had Flip with Hossa and Franzen and they were outstanding. Hossa thrived with Flip because he could dominate the puck and Flip played a more north/south game. Hossa looked his best with Flip. Hank and Hossa was a disaster and Pav and Hossa never clicked consistently.

Was it game 5 vs Anaheim when Hossa-Fil-Franzen were put together and playing against the Getzlaf unit that was causing all kinds of problems for us on the cycle prior to that point?

Then I remember game 7 it seemed like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa were all on separate lines.

Lol and Brad Richards does it again.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Does it scare anyone else that we are the worst 3rd period team in the playoffs and that the Bruins are probably the best 3rd period team? It scares me...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Homer, outside of Z, was the Datsyuk's best linemate. The problem was that Homer only had about 2-3 good years of hockey left by the time Babcock put them together. After that Babcock kept him with Datsyuk for too long. To the point that Homer had become a liability (much the same way that he kept Bertuzzi and Cleary in the top 6 for far too long.).. But when he was still playing he was the ultimate 3rd wheel for Datsyuk. He was a great at winning puck battles and cycling, but he was also smart enough to know that he had to get Datsyuk the puck back.

Hossa started the season with Datsyuk and Homer. They had some moments of greatness, but far too many moments of no chemistry. They could still produce some, because they were two talented individuals who could capitalize out of thin air, but they were far too much not on the same page. Datsyuk would go too many shifts without even touching the puck because Hossa would be rushing/attacking individually. It was a waste of Datsyuk basically. Hossa could have done the same thing with anyone.

Around the New Year, Babcock switched Hossa and Franzen. Datsyuk, Franzen, and Holmstrom were dominant and played much better as a unit than Datsyuk/Hossa. Unfortunately, Hossa and Z were even worse than Datsyuk and Hossa. Z and Hossa spent far too much time in the defensive zone some games. Like it was shockingly bad some games. Instead of simply putting Datsyuk and Z back together or putting Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa all on separate lines, Babcock forced Hossa back with Datsyuk to finish the year out. IMO he outcoached himself. I get the idea of wanting two of the best 2-way centers down the middle, but they were so dominant together and they didn't even get a lick of ice time together at even strength that season until game 5 of the Finals when Datsyuk was hobbled and just returning from his injury.

So back to Hossa.
So if he did not click with either D or Z, what was the point of keeping him? Wingers who like carrying the puck a lot, do not click so well with either Z or D. Specially D.
This is why I am not so sure about Nyquist and Tatar with D or Z.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So back to Hossa.
So if he did not click with either D or Z, what was the point of keeping him? Wingers who like carrying the puck a lot, do not click so well with either Z or D. Specially D.
This is why I am not so sure about Nyquist and Tatar with D or Z.
Nyquist has been amazing with Z, so I don't see a problem there. Though it would be great if we could roll Z and D together for the coming seasons. With both of them getting older it would ease the load on them as well hopefully keeping them both as effective as possible as long as possible. Tatar-Sheahan should be the foundation of our 3rd line, with Nyquist+Weiss/Legwand/Franzen making up the 2nd line.

Btw I didn't think Hossa was bad with Datsyuk. The playoffs were bad for them, but both were playing hurt. I find it amazing that we still have Hossa vs. Franzen debates though. I don't think Hossa was very interested in staying to be honest. He was chasing the cup and he probably saw that his best chances for that long-term was Chicago, plus he got the money he wanted there while Holland wanted to keep the pricetag down.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Babcock really needs to give me the opportunity to understand the "new" lines tonight. I want to, but i don't.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Does it scare anyone else that we are the worst 3rd period team in the playoffs and that the Bruins are probably the best 3rd period team? It scares me...

Yeah, they seemed to have trouble closing out games. Hopefully that doesn't continue in the playoffs. I think sometimes they might get too conservative late in games, trying to preserve leads. Don Cherry used to say a 3-1 lead is worse than 2-1. You start playing too conservatively other team scores, they gain the momentum. Next thing you know you lost 4-3 in overtime.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Not sure what your like/dislike for montreal is but I can safely say for this series you've got millions of habs fans on your side. Good luck.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Sometimes I do not agree with the Habs poster above. This is not one of those times. ;)

Habs fans around the world are on your side vs the dastardly broons.

Go Red Wings !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad