Pre-Game Talk: 1st Round Opponent: Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Jurco checks. Glendening checks. Helm checks. Tatar seems to never pass up a chance to hit someone.

Tatar is our version of Gallagher in Montreal. They play a very similar style and whille Tatar is 3 inches taller, they are similarly built.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Tatar is our version of Gallagher in Montreal. They play a very similar style and whille Tatar is 3 inches taller, they are similarly built.

As Don Cherry said last night of Gallagher, "See that right there, those are the guys that you win with."

Something tells me that Don won't have the same words regarding Tatar.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
But yeah there's definitely a lot of similarities between the two players. I think Tatar has more skill with the puck, while Gallagher, pound for pound, goes to the net harder than anyone in the NHL from what I've seen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
But yeah there's definitely a lot of similarities between the two players. I think Tatar has more skill with the puck, while Gallagher, pound for pound, goes to the net harder than anyone in the NHL from what I've seen.

i feel bad for the kid sometimes.. the punishment he takes. makes me wonder how long of a career he's going to have.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
This is the way you do it, really?

What about, oh:

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Glendening

Those are actually the exact lines I would go with if it was my call. Abdelkader is still with Datsyuk there, which is what everyone here seems to be *****ing about.

Don't know why Miller-Helm would ever be split up, there are no two forwards that work better together other than Z-D.

The lines yesterday gave us a chance as well. Chara, as good as he is, can be beaten with speed and quickness.

He's also paired with Hamilton who's no slouch, can skate, and their sticks are going to break up a lot of plays with those wingspans. Relying more on the rush than the cycle, and putting together some stacked line of Franzen/Alf-Datsyuk-Nyquist that everyone seems to be calling for is not going to improve their chances going up against those guys (with Bergeron likely thrown in as well). I much prefer spreading the offense and letting the depth upfront beat Boston's, which I think it can.

And Franzen is just a joke right now so whatever.

He's a pile and the biggest problem up front. He's obviously going to need to show up for any of the top line combinations to work.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If this is a reply to what I posted, which of those players are you proposing to put with Datsyuk on the top line?

Well it was a two fold reply.

You claimed no one on this team hits regularly. I don't think that's true.

As for replacing Abby, I'd be fine with Jurco on the top line with Datsyuk. He's fast, skilled, physical. He produces at a better rate than Abby as well. Abby's skillset is not only better suited to the 3/4 line, he would better perform there. He has the ability to win those matchups, but he doesn't really have the ability to win the matchups against top lines. The IQ isn't there.

Personally I think Legwand and Abby could be switched. Abby can play that shutdown role, he has center experience. Abby has done PK work before he knows the defensive side of the game.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Those are actually the exact lines I would go with if it was my call. Abdelkader is still with Datsyuk there, which is what everyone here seems to be *****ing about.

Don't know why Miller-Helm would ever be split up

It's easy to complain about Abdelkader because let's face it, he's not a top 6 forward. But the truth is that if Franzen was actually playing like a legit top 6 forward than it probably wouldn't be as much a problem. So essentially Datsyuk is playing with a no players who are capable if bringing out his strengths as a player right now. And to me that's a huge problem. You can't keep handcuffing you're star center time and time again as Babcock seems to love to do.

One of Franzen or Abdelkader with Datsyuk is fine without Z right now. But both of them is just too much and you're basically committing line suicide.

Helm and Miller have always worked well together and Glendening is good defensively. At home, IMO, that's the line you match up against whatever line Datsyuk isn't (Bergeron or Krejci.) That's your modern day Grind Line that eats up some valuable minutes making it tough for opposing top 6 lines.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Well it was a two fold reply.

You claimed no one on this team hits regularly. I don't think that's true.

As for replacing Abby, I'd be fine with Jurco on the top line with Datsyuk. He's fast, skilled, physical. He produces at a better rate than Abby as well. Abby's skillset is not only better suited to the 3/4 line, he would better perform there. He has the ability to win those matchups, but he doesn't really have the ability to win the matchups against top lines. The IQ isn't there.

Personally I think Legwand and Abby could be switched. Abby can play that shutdown role, he has center experience. Abby has done PK work before he knows the defensive side of the game.

I think Babcock is more worried about the physical matchups. I think he believes Datsyuk and Nyquist (or whomever) can product the offense, Abdelkader can create havoc in front of the net and win board battles.

I don't really like Abdelkader there but I also like to have added dimensions to every line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think Babcock is more worried about the physical matchups. I think he believes Datsyuk and Nyquist (or whomever) can product the offense, Abdelkader can create havoc in front of the net and win board battles.

I don't really like Abdelkader there but I also like to have added dimensions to every line.

I find this much more convincing than the physicality aspect. Splitting up Datsyuk and Nyquist for that reason makes a bit of sense.

But you can still split them up without putting Abby on the first line.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I find this much more convincing than the physicality aspect. Splitting up Datsyuk and Nyquist for that reason makes a bit of sense.

But you can still split them up without putting Abby on the first line.

To be perfectly honest, we've had this Datsyuk debate for virtually every line he's on without Zetterberg. Datsyuk and Shanahan? Doesn't work. Datsyuk and Franzen? Doesn't work. Datsyuk and Hossa? Doesn't work. Keep in mind, all of those guys did score 30+ goals at one point, but people still complained about it.

I'll never advocate for Abdelkader on that line, but I don't think he's ever been _THE_ issue. He just doesn't help out offensively enough.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
He has more assists this year, but, his goal scoring this season hasn't increased in any statistically significant manner. This is in spite of playing with top level talent.

I always thought Abdelkader's physicality was overrated as well, like it was some inside joke crediting him with all those hits. But last year's playoffs he was a legitimate force physically, and was the only player up front putting a toll on Chicago's D. I fully expect him to step it up and do the same this year, and he's the best option the Wings have at finding someone that can put a toll on Hamilton/Chara. Gone are Filppula, Brunner, Cleary, Emmerton, Andersson...and replacing them with the players Flowah pointed out, this team has improved immensely in finishing checks up front from last year, and it should serve them well. Having Helm on the forecheck is huge upgrade alone.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To be perfectly honest, we've had this Datsyuk debate for virtually every line he's on without Zetterberg. Datsyuk and Shanahan? Doesn't work. Datsyuk and Franzen? Doesn't work. Datsyuk and Hossa? Doesn't work. Keep in mind, all of those guys did score 30+ goals at one point, but people still complained about it.

I'll never advocate for Abdelkader on that line, but I don't think he's ever been _THE_ issue. He just doesn't help out offensively enough.

Datsyuk and Filppula? Worked, but Babcock would never keep them together.

Datsyuk, Hudler, and Cleary in 10-11? Worked, but Babcock split them up after 2 or 3 weeks.

What made Datsyuk and Hossa so frustrating was:
1) Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom was by far the best line we iced that season. Yet, just prior to the playoffs, guess what, Babcock broke it up.
Why? Because Z and Hossa were awful together. So instead of trying something like, oh I don't know:
Datsyuk-Z-Holmstrom (which we all know worked)
Franzen-Filppula-Hossa
Babcock insisted on putting Hossa with Datsyuk.

Then the other problem is that Babcock sticks players past their prime with Datsyuk. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi did work very well with Datsyuk. But when they're hardly even effective enough to be in the lineup, then they shouldn't be playing in the top 6.

There's been a lot of combos that have worked with Datsyuk. Babcock always goes back to the same crap though in short time. That's why we complain.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is the most Canadian thing I've ever heard.

D: "You're really a lot better than us."

B: "No, I think you're selling yourself short. You're a really good team."

D: "Okay, but not as good as your team."

B: "I dunno about that. You guys are a really good team, so you could win..."

It's a war of politeness and consideration.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He can't say otherwise without seeming like a cocky jerk.

And he knows if he loses, he's going to look like a real ass for not giving them their due beforehand.

He's basically got no other choice but to say what he's saying.

but other than that those young players have done a good job even if the [Dan] Clearys and the [Todd] Bertuzzis are question marks in the lineup. They’ve got a pretty good lineup with a lot of choices. That’s how I look at it.”

Dang. Julien with the semi-callouts.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Datsyuk and Filppula? Worked, but Babcock would never keep them together.

Datsyuk, Hudler, and Cleary in 10-11? Worked, but Babcock split them up after 2 or 3 weeks.

What made Datsyuk and Hossa so frustrating was:
1) Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom was by far the best line we iced that season. Yet, just prior to the playoffs, guess what, Babcock broke it up.
Why? Because Z and Hossa were awful together. So instead of trying something like, oh I don't know:
Datsyuk-Z-Holmstrom (which we all know worked)
Franzen-Filppula-Hossa
Babcock insisted on putting Hossa with Datsyuk.

Then the other problem is that Babcock sticks players past their prime with Datsyuk. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi did work very well with Datsyuk. But when they're hardly even effective enough to be in the lineup, then they shouldn't be playing in the top 6.

There's been a lot of combos that have worked with Datsyuk. Babcock always goes back to the same crap though in short time. That's why we complain.

I just find it interesting that Datsyuk seems to be the one that these issues always fall on. I understand it's probably a playstyle thing, since everyone seems to work with Z. I can't remember one time seeing someone 'get going' on a line with Datsyuk. Maybe Filppula is the only one it happened with.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I just find it interesting that Datsyuk seems to be the one that these issues always fall on. I understand it's probably a playstyle thing, since everyone seems to work with Z. I can't remember one time seeing someone 'get going' on a line with Datsyuk. Maybe Filppula is the only one it happened with.

Hudler in 2011 is a good example.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Seemed to work well with Homer. We all know he did well with Hull.

Who did Hossa play most with in 2009? He did reach 40 goals... I know he played at least some of it with Datsyuk.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Seemed to work well with Homer. We all know he did well with Hull.

Who did Hossa play most with in 2009? He did reach 40 goals... I know he played at least some of it with Datsyuk.

Franzen, Hossa and Shanahan all scored 30+ goals with Datsyuk, but there have been many people proclaiming that they do not work well together. People always seem to advocate Z with Franzen etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad