Pre-Game Talk: 1st Round Opponent: Detroit Red Wings vs. Boston Bruins

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What, me worry?

People continue to say Boston is going to roll us, but I think we can make a series out of it.

Wings in 7.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Good a original 6 match up that hasn't been seen since the late 50's. We matchup well with them. We ignore fisticuffs and have good team speed to get around there d pairings (krugs pairing is only pairing with good wheels).

Wings in 6.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Wings in 7

Mule gets on a hot streak

Dats creates his usual magic against boston

Nyquist explosions

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Would have much preferred to play Pittsburgh. I think Columbus has a good shot against them.

We're huge underdogs but we were last year too. Boston doesn't seem impossible to beat, but a team that hasn't lost more than 2 in a row all season will obviously be difficult to overcome. I'll be a pessimist and say we lose in 7, it would be an amazing accomplishment to win this series without Zetterberg.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011
Bruins will start slow and then their depth will overwhelm us. Bruins in 5.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
I think Bruins in 5 or 6, but I probably thought the same against the Ducks last year. Anything can happen. And if we beat Boston, anything's possible... until we, at best, get rolled in the Cup final ;)

Great experience for the kids. And next year with the GR d-man youth movement and maybe one top 4 D-man FA or trade and we're back in this for a few more years.

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Wings take 3-1 series lead only to choke it away to a more experienced Boston team that will wake up starting game 5. Babcock makes zero adjustments and the Wings fall in 7.

Ken Holland will do nothing in the offseason, per par.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Bruins in 6. But this is going to be a real eye-opener for the kids, and that's a great thing. Boston is an experienced team, and I think the young Wings group is going to gain a lot from competing against them. In particular, I think a lot of the young guys are going to realize how much work they need to do in the gym to compete with the Lucics and Charas of the league along the boards.

It's the kind of thing that will motivate Tatar and Nyquist to show up in better shape than ever, and get Jurco to bulk up a bit. I think Jurco has the frame to be a pretty big guy with some time.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I actually think we match up pretty well. The difference between playing Pittsburgh and Boston is the amount of mistakes you can get away with though. With PIT, it's likely going to be an offensive shootout. With Boston, that puck you threw out in front of your net in the first period can and will cost you the game.

Detroit doesn't win too many 2-1 games, so we need the offense to get/stay hot.

Boston has played Detroit "soft" this year. Not saying that trend continues, but it's something to watch for.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Boston is a dirty team look for them to take runs at labels knees and Nyquist.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Bruins in 5.

Season record doesn't matter, Boston is a far better team and they are playing like it.

This team is struggling right now and Babs has ruined the chemistry

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Boston plays mean but this team is built to ignore brinksmanship (much to the chagrin of many posters here and elsewhere, I'm sure).

This is a realgud hockey team and won the President's Trophy for a reason, that said, they are nowhere unbeatable and a few bounces this way or that way will make all the difference.

Bruins in 5.

Season record doesn't matter, Boston is a far better team and they are playing like it.

This team is struggling right now and Babs has ruined the chemistry

Hello reactionary posting, ignoring the masterful job Babcock has done to put this team in the position it is in; Roy will win the Jack Adams, but you will be hard-pressed to find a better two months of coaching among any of the active coaches. Ridiculous comment.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
What are the odds Detroit makes it through this series without at least one major injury? Probably about 3%.

They'll likely get crushed. Hope not.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Hello reactionary posting, ignoring the masterful job Babcock has done to put this team in the position it is in; Roy will win the Jack Adams, but you will be hard-pressed to find a better two months of coaching among any of the active coaches. Ridiculous comment.

Not ignoring anything. You are the one ignoring what the team has looked like the last couple games since Babs blended the lines. Or do you believe that this team looks better with Abdelkader stapled to Datsyuks hip?

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Really happy with the match-up. The Wings have played well against the Bruins.

Even happier that Sid and Co get a pretty hot Columbus team in the first round.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Not ignoring anything. You are the one ignoring what the team has looked like the last couple games since Babs blended the lines. Or do you believe that this team looks better with Abdelkader stapled to Datsyuks hip?

Absolutely not, I've disagreed heavily with his judgment the past two games, but I'm willing to give a little leeway since he sent out the kid line to score the tying goal in Pittsburgh.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Bruins in 5 and I don't consider that a pessimistic statement. The only place we match Boston is in depth up front and even then, their forward corps is far more experienced. I think there will be a few close games where we go toe-to-toe with them, but won't be able to pull out a win. And I'm OK with that. I'm happy to extend the streak and get the young kids experience now. Any wins we get will be a bonus.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The Wings do not match up well against the Bruins on paper this year, but on ice, they do.

I wouldn't focus so much on what a challenge it is with certain guys being injured. I would just go out and have fun. It's an original six series between Detroit and Boston. What's not to love?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad