1ST ROUND OF PLAYOFF'S (schedule & bracket)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Except Tavares is on the wrong side of 30.
Trading Marner to keep Tavares? Yikes.

What does his age have anything to do with it? If you subscribe to the Cup window theory, Toronto's chance to win is NOW when they've got the core. It's not 4-6 years from now when that age difference would actually start to matter.

Also, based on the age, I think you get more from dealing Marner than Tavares. You can sell a team on his unlimited upside and oh, he's also not got a movement clause on his contract so potentially more teams are involved.

Given my druthers I'd rather not trade either if I'm the Maple Leafs, but if you're telling me I've got to move one of them, I want to keep the C who I'm more restricted in dealing anyway. I kinda figure I can run Matthews-Tavares as my 1 and 2Cs and then with Nylander on one of their wings, I can potentially save some money by going with a cheap, higher risk, higher reward guy on either Matthews or Tavares's line similar to what Pittsburgh did with Jake Guentzel before he got his extension or with Pascal Dupius or Chris Kunitz.

It's easier to find another top wing than it is a top C. Also, it's almost like there are other moves that would happen if you decide to deal Tavares or Marner. The whole reason why you even countenance it is to rejuggle your cash to continue making runs at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad