Value of: 1st Round Carolina Pick For A Center

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
What a day to be alive! Haha first post so here goes….. let KK go for the picks. I would actually look at Wii open and offer both picks with Romanov for Dubois. 1 year left at 5M and RFA. His production has been around drouins production with only one year passing 50 pts with Panarin as his winger.

to then address the D, why not OS Quinn? Van is in Cap hell and can’t offer market value to both him and Pettersen…..

Thoughts?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Crazy how Kotkaniemi can go from untradeable a few months ago to being a traitor and only worth a late first and a 3rd as a 3rd overall pick who “just turned 21”
It sounds like he doesn't want to be in Montreal, to begin with. Signing a contract with such an obvious barb as the $20 signing bonus is just flipping the bird at the Habs. If he wanted to be able to come back, he should have insisted that clause be scratched.

Furthermore, what you trade is the contract as much as the player. Kotkaniemi on a favouralbe contract has more value. Kotkaniemi on an inflated contract has less value. The deal he signed makes him less valuable in a trade.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
They weren't good enough to be a playoff team (the past two seasons) but the rule changes happen to benefit them.

If you want to see how good the Habs really are, in relation to the Sens even, just watch the next season.
Sens just protect Mete in the last expansion draft. He was like a 8th dman here. Thats showing how sens are bad. There is a long way before to see sens performing like to montreal did. There is no comparison here.

Reactions: HabsQC

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Sens just protect Mete in the last expansion draft. He was like a 8th dman here. Thats showing how sens are bad. There is a long way before to see sens performing like to montreal did. There is no comparison here.
I agree with what you just said.

But after this Kotkaniemi development, all of a sudden the Habs are sooo screwed that they can't even count on tanking this year or next because they are in the same division as Buffalo, and Detroit, and Ottawa.

What were they thinking?

They don't even have enough cap space as is to afford him at what they deem fair value...

And at least Ottawa didn't lose Brady Tkachuk for a late first and a 3rd, or force themselves into a situation where they have to trade multiple players just to keep him on the team.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I agree with what you just said.

But after this Kotkaniemi development, all of a sudden the Habs are sooo screwed that they can't even count on tanking this year or next because they are in the same division as Buffalo, and Detroit, and Ottawa.

What were they thinking?

They don't even have enough cap space as is to afford him at what they deem fair value...

And at least Ottawa didn't lose Brady Tkachuk for a late first and a 3rd, or force themselves into a situation where they have to trade multiple players just to keep him on the team.
I would sign tkachuk at 6,1 everyday. KK has too many question marks. With weber on LTIR. I don’t think the salary cap remain a problem. But lets see. Im not a fan at all of KK. So we will see. I would take the pick and move on if you ask me

Reactions: Shad

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
I would sign tkachuk at 6,1 everyday. KK has too many question marks. With weber on LTIR. I don’t think the salary cap remain a problem. But lets see. Im not a fan at all of KK. So we will see. I would take the pick and move on if you ask me
I think they have to. I also think KK is going to get a chance at LW with Aho and Svechnikov. He could be a whole different player on the Hurricanes.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think they have to. I also think KK is going to get a chance at LW with Aho and Svechnikov. He could be a whole different player on the Hurricanes.
I have never see KK playing at LW during his whole carreer in MontreAl and im watching maybe 80% of the season. They mAybe want to make an experience. Who knows. In fcat. Thats not true. I saw KK playing LW few games cause he was struggling and loose too many faceoff during a long stretch last season…. Giving 6millilns to KK is a huge huge bet. I don’t know how in 4/5 month. He can Become a 2nd solid center in the NHL. When he was benching during last playoff. Maybe carolina managment was watching is training

gmtman66

Jul 18, 2021
Habs fan here. I believe JK has good potential for sure, but the fact remains he just isn't worth matching at that price. Dvorak should be their focus right now and I wish KK all the luck in Carolina. I think this move backfires on Carolina even though I do agree that Bergevin's pursuit of Aho back in 2019 was meant more to penalize Carolina then to actually capture the player.

Last edited by a moderator:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I'll second that Montreal could be the third team in a Eichel to Calgary deal sending Monahan to Montreal. What would Montreal add to Carolina's 1st for Monahan?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I have seen a couple of habs fans say this. If they do try to tank why not just keep KK?
Trade the older guys and who cares what KK makes
Cause KK isn't worth 6.1M$.

Take that $, put it somewhere else where you'll need help in the long term.

Get the pics, head to the 2022 draft with a couple 1sts and 2nds rd pick, and build your capital from there. Wim at Wright and Michkov to provide offensive help, or Dman like Luneau

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Cause KK isn't worth 6.1M$.

Take that $, put it somewhere else where you'll need help in the long term.

Get the pics, head to the 2022 draft with a couple 1sts and 2nds rd pick, and build your capital from there. Wim at Wright and Michkov to provide offensive help, or Dman like Luneau

If you are actually going to tank paying him 10 would not matter,
he is 21, getting a better younger player with that first from Carolina isn't going to happen. Give him lots of playing time if he breaks out trade him for decent value

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If I'm the other teams in the league, I know that if MTL wants to compete without KK they're gonna be in a horrible spot and I can likely bend them over a barrel.

Now, if they don't want to compete, that's fine. But I'd never put anything past the GM no matter how stupid, because it's what a lot of fans want, stupid or not, and potentially even what the owner might want.

Reactions: powerstuck

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The Canadiens do not deserve any compassion or favours. Offer sheeting Aho, leaving Price unprotected, drafting Mailloux... so my offer is Logan Brown for Carolina's first.

And the price for him is going up after midnight tonight. Every other team should make similar proposals.

Have fun cheering for your team with Cedric Pacquette as your 3C

LOL Karma's a bitch

The two mistakes were : signing Price to 10.5m, benching KK in the playoffs. Leaving Price unprotected was a great move : win win if he stays or leave, same as here it is a bad move for MTL : lose lose if they match or don t

I hope more o/s like this one happen and I say that as a MTL fan, this should lead GM to manage cap more efficiently.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I could see him developing chemistry with guys like Aho and Svechnikov.

I could also see teams like Ottawa giving some of their players to the Hurricanes at a discount price at the TDL to help Carolina improve their standing and therefore decreasing the value of the pick.

Who knows, maybe by doing them that solid, if or when KK doesn't work out in Carolina, they could send him over to Ottawa in a deal that works for both.
Is this kid serious ? LOL :laugh:

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Karma doesn't have categories. Do shitty things and shit comes back around.

You cheer for a team that waived the only reason you had success last season, AND drafted a sex offender amongst other things, and you're talking to me about absurd ideas in hockey?

Hope you enjoy Cedric Paquette!
This guy sounds so salty. You mad cause you know that as long as Melnyk owns the team they’re never going to be a contender? I’d rather have a team who has to make hard choices like Montreal is going to have to make than a team that hates spending money on their players, and when they do they end up overpaying players like Chabot. Man Ottawa is doomed for years to come lmao

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
This guy sounds so salty. You mad cause you know that as long as Melnyk owns the team they’re never going to be a contender? I’d rather have a team who has to make hard choices like Montreal is going to have to make than a team that hates spending money on their players, and when they do they end up overpaying players like Chabot. Man Ottawa is doomed for years to come lmao
Biggest myth ever.

The Sens contended in 03, 06, 07, and 2017 amongst other years, all Melnyk years.

They made the right move and traded Karlsson for which they received a shit ton, for an aging and often injured player.

A lot of players don't want to play in Ottawa. That doesn't equate to Melnyk being cheap. He was cheap with a declining asset.

You yourself even admitted that they do spend big money on players long term like Chabot, who is easily better than any defenseman on the Habs.

Even if Ottawa is doomed for years, at least when they tank and receive a valuable pick as a result they don't let it walk for a late first and a third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad