1st Overall Vs Tanev + 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I am really high on both Tanev and Shinkaruk. I'd try to put someone else in for Shinkaruk(maybe part of the return from Kesler) but in the end I think I'd have to do that deal.

Agreed. I don't want to lose Shinkaruk, and would much rather sub in someone like Jensen, but at the end of the day I would do that.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Shinkaruk and Tanev are not middling assets. One of them with Hansen and the 6th I would have to think about but would probably do it. But both, absolutely not.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shinkaruk and Tanev are not middling assets. One of them with Hansen and the 6th I would have to think about but would probably do it. But both, absolutely not.

Shinkaruk is coming off a serious injury and hasn't proven anything in the NHL. I'm personally very high on him, but he's not going to be the potential franchise C that Sam Reinhart is expected to be.

Players like Chris Tanev are replaceable. Just sign Mark Fayne and be done with it.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
If the Canucks don't get the first overall pick, I hope that Reinhart still goes #1 by whomever (Florida or whomever they trade to; and yes I know the reports suggest FLA will take Ekblad).

I see Reinhart going first as the best scenario for landing a top forward for the Canucks.

Fla: Reinhart
Buf: Bennett
Edm: Ekblad
Cgy: MDC/Ritchie
Nyi: MDC/Ehlers/Draisaitl
Van: Draisaitl!!/MDC!!/Ritchie

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Shinkaruk is coming off a serious injury and hasn't proven anything in the NHL. I'm personally very high on him, but he's not going to be the potential franchise C that Sam Reinhart is expected to be.

Players like Chris Tanev are replaceable. Just sign Mark Fayne and be done with it.

Did you miss McKenzie saying the top players in this draft are more likely to be 2nd line players?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If we don't deal Shinkaruk and Tanev we still get to keep our 6th overall pick too. It's not like we drop from Reinhart to absolutely nothing. I would much rather Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie + Tanev + Shinkaruk than just Reinhart. Not to mention Hansen or whoever else we are throwing in there.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Did you miss McKenzie saying the top players in this draft are more likely to be 2nd line players?

What basis did McKenzie give for that? Certainly not a points comparison of players in their draft year. It certainly is an interesting argument, one certainly not founded in the available statistics.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In a vacuum, #1 overall without a second thought.

This year, with no solid clear-cut #1 a la Crosby, Stamkos or Tavares, I'd be just as comfortable keeping Tanev and the #6. If the deal's there, go for it but this season I can't see the dropoff from 1 to 6 being as dramatic as it would be next year or in years past. For MacKinnon or McDavid? Hell yes. For Ekblad or Reinhart...not quite so sold.

The price for McD will be much higher than for Ekblad. If Ekblad truly is a franchise #1 D-man in the making, Tanev and a 6th is dirt cheap. As mentioned above there are D-men ion the UFA market who can replace him. I get the feeling he isn't if the Panthers are willing to let him pass and accept Tanev as a worthy replacement. This is, of course, you believe they already have a franchise #1 in their D mix.

There are several forwards in the top 10 with the potential to become great, but they have just as big a chance to bust. So given the ups and downs as I see it, if the Canucks believe Ekblad is big upgrade over Tanev, they are trading him and the 6th for a D-man they can't get by holding on to the 6th.

If they do this for Reinhart, it might be a big mistake. I haven't read any scouting analysis that puts him in the class of a top performing Sedin. Maybe they think a top 6 forward is good enough and Tanev and a 6th is not too high for that. I doubt that Vancouver could offer this deal to any team for one of their legit top 6 forwards and get it. A couple days and we'll know for sure and the second guessing begins from those who don't like the deal that was done.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
What basis did McKenzie give for that? Certainly not a points comparison of players in their draft year. It certainly is an interesting argument, one certainly not founded in the available statistics.

He got his info from 10 top scouts. 7 of the 10 also had Ekblad as the top player, even though they see him as more of a #2D.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
exactly, I think people are being blinded by the '1st overall pick' label and not realizing that these kids aren't expected to be franchise players.

I'm not expecting a franchise player.
I'm expecting a first line center in Reinhart.
I'm expecting that I'm giving up a second pairing defenceman in Tanev, a potential top 6 player in Shinkaruk and a who knows what in MDC/Ehlers/Virtanen/Ritchie.
I think the odds of Reinhart being a true impact player are worth more than those three pieces. It's by no means an easy decision though.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He got his info from 10 top scouts. 7 of the 10 also had Ekblad as the top player, even though they see him as more of a #2D.

Reinharts production in his draft year suggests otherwise. He could be one of the safest picks I've seen in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad