1st Overall Vs Tanev + 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
1st overall. It's easier to find a Tanev replacement than it is to find a Henrik Sedin replacement.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Here's the thing.
I'd do it.
But I take Ekblad.

I think Reinhart is a good prospect who may become a #1 C and he's a local kid... but Ekblad really just screams bonafide #1 d-man. Too good to pass up.

With that said, I don't foresee the Canucks passing on Reinhart.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Here's the thing.
I'd do it.
But I take Ekblad.

I think Reinhart is a good prospect who may become a #1 C and he's a local kid... but Ekblad really just screams bonafide #1 d-man. Too good to pass up.

Ya. it depends on who you take but it's more a matter of what you would rather have.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Ya. it depends on who you take but it's more a matter of what you would rather have.

Truthfully, we don't really have either a blue-chip sure-fire prospect on D or F... in that case, what is more important to a franchise? A cornerstone #1 D man or a #1 centre.

I think you have to go with the D...

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Easy choice...Tanev is a good player but the #1 has the potential to be great. Even though I think the #6 can be an even better player than whoever is chosen 1st, the security of getting the player you want trumps the value of Tanev.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Picked the latter because I anticipate a faller, who our management may not pick.

Canucklove

Jun 22, 2014
Vancouver
Hell yeah I would do that, pick Ekblad though. You look at the cup champions from the last 10 years and other then the Canes and the Penguins they all have Elite D-men, it is hard to win without a bonified number 1. Obviously you need a #1 C but I'm not as sold on SR

bo2shink*

1st overall. It's easier to find a Tanev replacement than it is to find a Henrik Sedin replacement.

We're getting a Henrik replacement? Holy hell! And all for just a Tanev. (oh, and a 6th pick)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
In a vacuum, #1 overall without a second thought.

This year, with no solid clear-cut #1 a la Crosby, Stamkos or Tavares, I'd be just as comfortable keeping Tanev and the #6. If the deal's there, go for it but this season I can't see the dropoff from 1 to 6 being as dramatic as it would be next year or in years past. For MacKinnon or McDavid? Hell yes. For Ekblad or Reinhart...not quite so sold.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Off the board, 3rd and Tanev.

Also after basically 9 threads on this it gets it's own thread now :laugh:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
You trade Tanev and pickup Niskanen in free agency and really don't lose much

Why Tanev? We are going to do a rebuild with no young NHL defenseman? Tanev is still improving, i would not trade him anymore than i would trade Kassian or Lack.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Here's the thing.
I'd do it.
But I take Ekblad.

Everything i've heard, read, seen Ekblad seems a lot more like Phanuef than any top d-man I can think of.

Canucklove

Jun 22, 2014
Vancouver
Why Tanev? We are going to do a rebuild with no young NHL defenseman? Tanev is still improving, i would not trade him anymore than i would trade Kassian or Lack.

Because Tanev is the only player on our team with any trade value that doesnt have a NTC... If they wanted kassian or Lack for the first then sure, but i doubt that would be swingable. Also, our D is still a lot stronger than our forward group as illustrated by last year.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I would trade Tanev + 6th for 1st overall so we can get our franchise center. Then we will have all that depth and toughness to backup our top 6. Trade Kesler and draft smart to get the result and I think Benning and Linden are going that route, I hope.

Future:

Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Etem
Kapanen? - Horvat - Jensen
Matthias - Cassels - Kassian
??? - Richardson - ???

I think we could look different than this as well because who knows who we will pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round and who will make the roster. But I think we will have something like that for our top six if the trades go ahead. Reinhart has great hockey IQ and Shinkaruk and Etem got chemistry so that should be a sick line. Horvat good two way centre and Benning likes him. Jensen will be a sniper and if we get Kapanen he will have some good hands. Cassels will be a good gritty 3C and I think he will become a solid 3C. Matthais and Kassian will bring Grit, size and some bottom six skill. Richardson a good PK'er and we should get some depth on his wings. I am really interested to see what Benning does with this team.

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I think defensive defensmen are replaceable. Dmen who score points are much harder to replace. I could see Corrado taking Tanevs minutes.

1st overal pick would be unreal.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I think defensive defensmen are replaceable. Dmen who score points are much harder to replace. I could see Corrado taking Tanevs minutes.

1st overal pick would be unreal.

Last summer we tried this argument that Corrado was better then Tanev etc.. And its not even close..

Tanev was our best and most consistent D-man this year.. He hardly makes any mistakes.

His first pass is crisp and accurate. He is a very very fast skater with a very quick 3 strides (quite

possibly the best acceleration on our team) and his hockey IQ is top notch. I Like Corrado but right

as of right now Tanev is miles in front of him

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

Tanev, with strength issues and lacking offensive upside all through out his hockey career, is not a young NHL defensemen you build around.

You don't build around complimentary pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad