1st Overall Vs Tanev + 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wonder if there was as much angst when Burke traded for the first and ended up grabbing both Sedins. He sent a first round pick and Brian McCabe in what was a weak draft to Chicago for the fourth. At the time I'm sure that people questioned that move.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
I'd like to see Campbell thrown in from Florida's side if we're giving up 1st+Tanev+Shinkaruk. We could even take Jovo along with Campbell as well if we have to. This saves Florida a bunch of money. If not, I'd much rather see Jensen in place of Shinkaruk.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As much as i would like to have the first overall and have the chance to Pick Reinhart... People need to remember that this is not a strong draft like last season and 2015...

All the forward in the top 5 are 2nd liners at best and Ekblad is a number 2 at best..

So anything more then Tanev and our 6th overall is to much in this draft. No way we throw Hunter into that deal

You're right. People for get this point. I forget this point. Reason being, the stats do not support this ridiculous line of thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
How many 1st rounder equivalent assets is it worth giving up for a non-consensus #1 pick in a very weak draft?

It's worth the asking price of a young player, a pick and a prospect. That seems pretty standard when you're dealing with a 1OA or a high-end player, which is what a 1OA is also usually.

Btw, it's a weak draft in the sense that it's not a deep draft. Don't mistake the consensus 'weak draft' statement as in, there won't be one or two or even three league stars to emerge somewhere in the top 5-10. The drop-off is quite noticeable after 5-6, but that's why it's called a weak draft. Nothing wrong with the guys at the top of the order though.

If there's one thing we've learned from the last handful of champions, it's that balance throughout a lineup is critical.

Agreed, balance is critical, which is why I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Nucks trade up and select Ekblad. The defence needs someone like him on the PP and on the top 4, now and in the future. We've seen what happens when we lost Ehrhoff, Ohlund, Salo and when our other D didn't produce offensively. We need a guy that can put up some numbers, and grow into a role where he gets it done at both ends of the ice.

People are going crazy here. Sell the farm for one player then realize he has nobody to play with and nobody to play behind him.

We're finally starting to develop a decent prospect pool and now we're gonna throw it all away for a shiny new toy?

We're not selling the farm. There are plenty of horses left in the stable even if we sent Shink and the 6th over to FLA. We still have Gaunce, Horvat, Jensen. If we trade Kesler, there's another source of restocking the stables. There's no need to panic about our prospects situation with the loss of Shink and the 6th. We're getting a good return in the 1OA.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
People mistake what this draft is...

It's not a deep draft, which is a very different thing from it not being a good draft. At the top end, the talent is still there. The problem with this draft is halfway through the first round there is a very significant drop off.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
You're right. People for get this point. I forget this point. Reason being, the stats do not support this ridiculous line of thinking. But hey, whatever's the going trend these days right?

The stats do support it. It's an average draft (not a weak one), but McDavid/Eichel/Kylington are all head and shoulders above the top of this draft.

Heck, Eichel is probably going #2 and he and Milano have outperformed Kane/Kessel when they played for the US U18 team. Kylington was a point-per-game defenseman as a 16 year old in the 2nd division in Sweden and ended up as a regular playing top 6 minutes for 30+ games in the SEL as a 16 year old. And people know about McDavid.

Next year might have three generational/franchise type talents at the top of the draft. This year is not that, but it doesn't mean is a garbage dump draft that isn't worth anything, either.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
People mistake what this draft is...
It's a draft where the GM owning the 1st overall has publically stated that if given the right offer, he'll deal pick.

In another year, even Garth Snow's offer of "every draft pick his team has for the current year - where they had the 4th overall pick" for the 2nd overall pick was declined.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The stats do support it. It's an average draft (not a weak one), but McDavid/Eichel/Kylington are all head and shoulders above the top of this draft.

Heck, Eichel is probably going #2 and he and Milano have outperformed Kane/Kessel when they played for the US U18 team. Kylington was a point-per-game defenseman as a 16 year old in the 2nd division in Sweden and ended up as a regular playing top 6 minutes for 30+ games in the SEL as a 16 year old. And people know about McDavid.

Next year might have three generational/franchise type talents at the top of the draft. This year is not that, but it doesn't mean is a garbage dump draft that isn't worth anything, either.

The top end of this draft isn't necessarily worse than the top ends of the past few drafts.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67+17+18+19+20#snip=f

Tanev is in the top 60 in P/60. He also plays a lot tougher minutes than a lot of guys on that list.

Thanks for the link, very useful. He is 170th in 1st assists/60 minutes which tells me while he can do a break out pass, he doesn't have the tools/instincts to run a powerplay. In fact, there were only 16 other defencemen in the entire league(who even had one 1st assist) that had a lower 1A/60min than Tanev(Edler was one of them). As a defencemen, I would define having a good breakout pass to be part of your good defensive skills. If you can pass the puck to the forwards tape to tape and not give it away, that's getting the puck out of your own zone and out of scoring opportunities against.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@DarrenDreger: Action should heat up tomorrow. If the offers on the 1st pick overall don't improve, Florida intends on holding on to it. #stillearly #TSN

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I wonder if there was as much angst when Burke traded for the first and ended up grabbing both Sedins. He sent a first round pick and Brian McCabe in what was a weak draft to Chicago for the fourth. At the time I'm sure that people questioned that move.

They did for sure. At the time it was a lot to give up. Helped that draft turned out so poor and Pavel Vorobiev busted.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Shinkaruk + Tanev + 6th overall for the 1st is lunacy. Especially considering that it looks like we aren't going to be taking the consensus 1st overall in Ekblad if it goes through. I am praying this is nothing more than media speculation. Tanev + 6th I can handle but for the love of god please keep our one high-end, offense-first, skilled prospect.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Shinkaruk + Tanev + 6th overall for the 1st is lunacy. Especially considering that it looks like we aren't going to be taking the consensus 1st overall in Ekblad if it goes through. I am praying this is nothing more than media speculation. Tanev + 6th I can handle but for the love of god please keep our one high-end, offense-first, skilled prospect.

Sam Reinhart is much better than Hunter Shinkaruk, and this is coming from someone who was livid when we passed on Shinkaruk at 9 last year.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Dear god now you want to add Hansen too!?! Shinkaruk + Tanev is way too steep to move up a couple spots in the draft. Madness.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

They better be getting something else back with 1st overall... :laugh:

Nope.

The way I see it, you need to give up something good to get something good. Losing Tanev hurts, but he's replaceable. Moving Hansen also opens up a roster spot for someone else to come in on the third line so I'm okay there.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Sam Reinhart is much better than Hunter Shinkaruk, and this is coming from someone who was livid when we passed on Shinkaruk at 9 last year.

Is he better than Shinkaruk, Tanev, Hansen and whoever we draft at 6th combined? I highly doubt that. Not to mention that we are selling low on Hansen and Shinkaruk who both had down years. That is a crippling move.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Dear god now you want to add Hansen too!?! Shinkaruk + Tanev is way too steep to move up a couple spots in the draft. Madness.

What's madness is allowing a 20 point 3rd liner be the difference between getting the 1st overall pick and not. IF Florida wants him in the deal, I have zero issues with including him.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Is he better than Shinkaruk, Tanev, Hansen and whoever we draft at 6th combined? I highly doubt that. Not to mention that we are selling low on Hansen and Shinkaruk who both had down years. That is a crippling move.

Getting the best player in that deal is not a crippling move. Holding on to our mediocre assets is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad