Prospect Info: 1st Overall Thread: Jack or Kappo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Hughes has his own body of work that has him still the first overall prospect in this draft.

Kakko will be a Ranger.
This has been the case since the lottery and barring an act of God, nothing was changing that.

Someone wrote this many times, but I think it adequately explains the situation: Kakko has done enough to warrant a 1st overall pick, but Hughes hasn't done anything to lose his well deserved number 1 status.

Reactions: sammystl5

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I'm the one being defensive? I haven't gone on the offensive once and was simply articulating an opinion. Moreover, just because some idiots posted stupid **** on the general forums about Hughes/Kakko doesn't mean I have to answer for their stupidity. Lol
Yeah, YOU! All I said I wasn't aware he had gone that many games scoreless, I was genuinely surprised, I was actually more surprised that they play that many games in the World Championships, but you took my comment like I said this proved anything or I implied that by hinting if I did I was being a fool, why make a comment like that at me unless you were on the defensive thinking I was talking him down? Words don't lie.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Yeah, YOU! All I said I wasn't aware he had gone that many games scoreless, I was genuinely surprised, I was actually more surprised that they play that many games in the World Championships, but you took my comment like I said this proved anything or I implied that by hinting if I did I was being a fool, why make a comment like that at me unless you were on the defensive thinking I was talking him down? Words don't lie.
I don't even know how to respond to that. Lol I think you're reading wayyyyyyyy more into my comment than I intended.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Last thing this team needs is another KK :naughty:

I hope they take Jack but wouldn’t mind either player.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
About Kakko:

"The 6-foot-2, 200 pound winger has shown not only his elite skills - vision, playmaking, skating, shooting - but that he can use his big frame to protect the puck, win one-on-one battles and create space for himself in the dirty areas and it's caught the attention of Devils head coach John Hynes, who was at the tournament as an assistant coach for Team USA.

"He's a very, very strong player," he said. "You can see it in tight spaces, below the goal line, along the boards. He has great hands, great vision, very difficult to defend and he can make plays. I've been pretty impressed with the way the Finns are using him - basically in a lot of key situations. I've had the opportunity to see him play in a couple games and he's been one of the better players on the ice in all those games.

"He's going to be a top forward in the NHL," Hynes continued. "He's going to be a tough a guy that can drive a team at the NHL level and, right now, when you look at his talent level, his competitiveness, his size, and his skill and what he's doing now against men, and what he's done all year long, even at the world juniors, you can see that he's going to be a special player. So, wherever he ends up in the NHL, he's going to be a guy that can help get a franchise back to being a competitive team in the playoffs and competing for the Stanley Cup."

WORLDS: Kakko completes an unbelievable 13-month stretch with world title

This was published earlier about Hughes:

"Devils head coach John Hynes had the benefit of working with Hughes during the tournament as he was one of Team USA's assistant coaches.

"As a person, he's been really fun to be around. He's a good teammate. He's coachable. And, you can tell he loves the game," Hynes said. "When you look at him on the ice, he's very competitive. He wants the puck on his stick. He wants to be challenged and play in tough, tight situations, which is great to see, especially from a young kid. He's incredibly confident and he doesn't back down. In practice, he's trying to beat guys like Ryan Suter. So, you can see there's a drive and a desire to be an exceptionally good player."

Hynes also noted Hughes' speed and skating, his vision and hockey sense and his playmaking abilities before concluding: "There's no question, he's a game-breaking player and will develop into a franchise player that will help drive a team and play a top line center role in the NHL.

"If he does end up becoming a New Jersey Devil," Hynes continued. "I think that the fact that I've had the opportunity to get to know him and a relationship has been created and we've been working together, that's a big step in having a young talented player feel comfortable in his first year in the NHL to help him be able to make an impact sooner rather than later."

WORLDS: Hughes breaks out in final game of tournament

Reactions: Nubmer6

danito

Apr 10, 2015
We have to pick Jack, his skating, puck skills and quick thinking are as good as I've ever seen. In his prime when he has man strength he could be the best in the game he has that type of talent.

What's holding him back is strength.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
We have to pick Jack, his skating, puck skills and quick thinking are as good as I've ever seen. In his prime when he has man strength he could be the best in the game he has that type of talent.

What's holding him back is strength.
Listen, I think Jack will be great and can be a top 5 center in the league if all goes well, but he isn't a McDavid level prospect. Just as we don't want people diminishing Hughes/Kakko for stupidity, it's wise not to overvalue their potentials either.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Listen, I think Jack will be great and can be a top 5 center in the league if all goes well, but he isn't a McDavid level prospect. Just as we don't want people diminishing Hughes/Kakko for stupidity, it's wise not to overvalue their potentials either.

You do realize this is HFBoards, where every fanbase does it?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I honestly go back and forth on this. Using Kakko's size as an advantage scares me a bit, it brings back memories of Zacha vs Barzal (yes i do know the situation is far different) and he does seem to lack some playmaking ability as he sometimes has trouble finding open teammates, but his shot is much better than Jack's and he should be a more prolific goal scorer throughout his career.

Jack seems to be a much better fit for us. Yes he is behind defensively and physically but both those things are workable skills. His ability to control the puck in the neutral zone and into the offensive zone is a rare trait and he seems to have the offensive vision that just cant be taught.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I honestly go back and forth on this. Using Kakko's size as an advantage scares me a bit, it brings back memories of Zacha vs Barzal (yes i do know the situation is far different) and he does seem to lack some playmaking ability as he sometimes has trouble finding open teammates, but his shot is much better than Jack's and he should be a more prolific goal scorer throughout his career.

Jack seems to be a much better fit for us. Yes he is behind defensively and physically but both those things are workable skills. His ability to control the puck in the neutral zone and into the offensive zone is a rare trait and he seems to have the offensive vision that just cant be taught.
I'm not sure he's a better fit. I think we really need both of them pretty equally. A RW sniper with size is sorely needed as much as a play making zone entry center.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think we can go wrong with either player. I think Hughes has the potential to be special, which is why I would take him #1. Which shouldn't be taken as an offense to Kakko, who is likely going to be a great player himself. Either way we're going to get a great player. Sure, it sucks that our rival is going to get the one we don't pick, but there's nothing we can do about that.

hobgoblin933

Jun 22, 2011
Cohoes, NY
Hughes skating is such a spectacle to behold and his vision is incredible. I think when you've mastered two such fundamental aspects of the game at such a young age it's easier to develop everything else. He's 18 so he'll get bigger, you can always work to develop your shot and your faceoff ability. He's gonna come into the league and immediately generate scoring chances and make everybody he plays with better.

This is the most excited I've ever been about a Devils draft pick or prospect and there's not a close second.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
About Kakko:

"The 6-foot-2, 200 pound winger has shown not only his elite skills - vision, playmaking, skating, shooting - but that he can use his big frame to protect the puck, win one-on-one battles and create space for himself in the dirty areas and it's caught the attention of Devils head coach John Hynes, who was at the tournament as an assistant coach for Team USA.

"He's a very, very strong player," he said. "You can see it in tight spaces, below the goal line, along the boards. He has great hands, great vision, very difficult to defend and he can make plays. I've been pretty impressed with the way the Finns are using him - basically in a lot of key situations. I've had the opportunity to see him play in a couple games and he's been one of the better players on the ice in all those games.

"He's going to be a top forward in the NHL," Hynes continued. "He's going to be a tough a guy that can drive a team at the NHL level and, right now, when you look at his talent level, his competitiveness, his size, and his skill and what he's doing now against men, and what he's done all year long, even at the world juniors, you can see that he's going to be a special player. So, wherever he ends up in the NHL, he's going to be a guy that can help get a franchise back to being a competitive team in the playoffs and competing for the Stanley Cup."

WORLDS: Kakko completes an unbelievable 13-month stretch with world title

This was published earlier about Hughes:

"Devils head coach John Hynes had the benefit of working with Hughes during the tournament as he was one of Team USA's assistant coaches.

"As a person, he's been really fun to be around. He's a good teammate. He's coachable. And, you can tell he loves the game," Hynes said. "When you look at him on the ice, he's very competitive. He wants the puck on his stick. He wants to be challenged and play in tough, tight situations, which is great to see, especially from a young kid. He's incredibly confident and he doesn't back down. In practice, he's trying to beat guys like Ryan Suter. So, you can see there's a drive and a desire to be an exceptionally good player."

Hynes also noted Hughes' speed and skating, his vision and hockey sense and his playmaking abilities before concluding: "There's no question, he's a game-breaking player and will develop into a franchise player that will help drive a team and play a top line center role in the NHL.

"If he does end up becoming a New Jersey Devil," Hynes continued. "I think that the fact that I've had the opportunity to get to know him and a relationship has been created and we've been working together, that's a big step in having a young talented player feel comfortable in his first year in the NHL to help him be able to make an impact sooner rather than later."

WORLDS: Hughes breaks out in final game of tournament

Hynes continued “I’ve promised the same deal with Jack that I have with TAYLOR [Hall]. I don’t make him skate hard in practice or even show up at the rink on weekend days when the team is at home but not playing, and in return they say nice things about me in the press.”

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I find it odd 12 teams have scheduled interviews with Jack Hughes. I guess most of them just want to meet the kid.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Hughes skating is such a spectacle to behold and his vision is incredible. I think when you've mastered two such fundamental aspects of the game at such a young age it's easier to develop everything else. He's 18 so he'll get bigger, you can always work to develop your shot and your faceoff ability. He's gonna come into the league and immediately generate scoring chances and make everybody he plays with better.

This is the most excited I've ever been about a Devils draft pick or prospect and there's not a close second.

Yeah .. that's what I see as well .. elite play speed. He creates scoring chance after chance. It's an easy choice for me .. Hughes by a good stretch over Kakko.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The main reason I believe Jack Hughes should be the pick is because he makes every player around him better. A good comparison would be the Avalanche duo of Rantanen and Mackinnon. Kakko is comparable to Rantanen in terms of style of play and his position, and Mackinnon is comparable to Hughes in their ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and drive play essentially every shift. Both Rantanen and Mackinnon are very valuable and fantastic hockey players. However, Mackinnon is the better player, and the one you would select if you had to choose one. He makes everybody around him better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I find it odd 12 teams have scheduled interviews with Jack Hughes. I guess most of them just want to meet the kid.

Lou used to say meeting kids was sometimes useful later on in trades or FA, he cited (guffaw) Dave Steckel's college interview as part of the process of knowing the kid when we traded for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad