Prospect Info: 1st Overall Thread: Jack or Kappo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Jack’s skating in the Russia game screams generational skater*

Again, almost never use that word besides for his skating. He could end up a better skater than Connor minus the top speed

It’s amazing how comfortable he is switching for forward to backwards at high speed. He’s facing so many plays that other players will have their back to.

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
I somehow got the feeling that Hughes eighter drives the play or is completely useless making his wide turns and is completely disconnected.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If Hughes went pointless in six games to end the tourney, anybody talking about all the good things he did would be accused of spin and bias. I know Kakko played well despite going pointless in those games, but when your guy is a featured player on his team and drawing a tripping call is the highlight of his last three games, it may be time to ease up on "the tier above Kakko is generational"-Kool Aid.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Hughes went pointless in six games to end the tourney, anybody talking about all the good things he did would be accused of spin and bias. I know Kakko played well despite going pointless in those games, but when your guy is a featured player on his team and drawing a tripping call is the highlight of his last three games, it may be time to ease up on "the tier above Kakko is generational"-Kool Aid.
I said the same yesterday. Funny how the tables turn right?

Its all because Jack was regarded so highly for four years. Hes overanalyzed to a tee and is the big bad older brother while Kakko is the new adopted boy and cant do wrong (even though Jacks younger lmao)

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Jack’s skating in the Russia game screams generational skater*

Again, almost never use that word besides for his skating. He could end up a better skater than Connor minus the top speed

I thought this entire tournament that Hughes showed more than Kakko in terms of potential ceiling and this nice video backs up my thinking. He generates so many scoring opportunities. He was just snakebitten, 2 posts, three empty nets missed and about 8 setups whiffed by his teammates. Jack could have easily had a monster tournament on the scoresheet. That skating and hands combo is world class and you can’t teach that.

Last edited:

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
That Kakko youtube shift video from the final is the strangest thing to me. Basically the defense keep him exactly where they would want him, he gets basically zero separation, he barely takes his eyes off the puck to look for anyone at any point. Get's pushed over, then tries the same move for the 4th time before getting cleaned out and allowing a clean outlet pass.

Surely there's better things to make a video about?

Actually, that shift video resembles his videos from the games against Germany, Sweden, Russia, GB... there is more of the same. He gets "directed" into the corner and behind the goal by the defense again and again, he moves (quickly) here and there, stops, turns, doesn't find anybody to pass to so he circles again. Sometimes he gets tripped and earns a PP, sometimes he just loses the puck, sometimes he gets his (darn good) shot off. But to me, he does not look like somebody who sees his teammates very well or makes good use of them.

Last edited:

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
This is like Matthews vs Laine. No one thinks they’re on the same tier except for the team that will get KAkko + Finnish fans.
I rate Hughes a bit higher, but this isn't an accurate statement. Bob labelled it as being 51-49 pre WHC, and I take his list the most serious above anyone else, personally. Kakko being on a similar level as Hughes isn't a knock on anything Hughes hasn't done, as much as it's been how well Kakko also played this year.

Reactions: Koijari

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Did he really? I knew he slowed down after making a big splash in the World Champions but I had no idea it was 6 games of no points.
He was, but like Hughes' tournament, it doesn't tell the entire story of his impact on the ice. For instance, Kakko drew a shit ton of penalties for Finland, including the one that would tie the game in the final against Canada. Much like Hughes' tournament for the most part, the points might have not been there, but only a fool who watched the game would argue he didn't have a dynamic impact on the ice.

Reactions: urho and TheDuke93

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I wondet what the conversations were like for Jack with Kane. He must have been like a kid in a candy store - and then to realize youre playing with him as an equal?

Kid must have had the time of his life at the WC. Especially since Quinn was there too.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Kakko went scoreless in his final 6 games of the tournament. He also had 0 assists the entire tournament. 2 of his goals were empty netters. Kakko was extremely impressive, but Jack Hughes will and should go 1st overall. He is going to be the better player.
Are you arguing that Kakko wasn’t the best player on his team? Because out of that whole roster there is one player guaranteed to be in a top 6 role next September.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
This isn’t true, except for the fact that his team won the tournament. And every other year the winning this tournament is the equivalent of winning a Cable Ace award. Now it’s more important than the Olympics and tells you everything you need to know about a prospect.

I’m glad the whole cursed thing is over.
What isn’t true? That he wasn’t the best player on their team? You can downplay the tournament all you like, but there was legit talent at the tournament and Finland won the whole thing with out a lot of star power. They deserve credit.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
What isn’t true? That he wasn’t the best player on their team? You can downplay the tournament all you like, but there was legit talent at the tournament and Finland won the whole thing with out a lot of star power. They deserve credit.

I have no idea whether he was the best player on his team, but his stat line doesn’t suggest it.

It is ten games, many of which were against teams that were worse than a good CHL teams. It is the equivalent of saying Alexander Texier is better than Kucherov because one was better in the playoffs than the other.

If you have concluded that Kakko is a better player even now because of the Worlds, I only pray that you work on the Rangers scouting staff.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
You can be ignorant if you like, but Kakko has a body of work behind him that justifies it. Not too many 17 year olds end up being one of the best players on their team in a pro league.

Players that have put up comparable or better numbers at the same age include Barkov, Laine and Mikael Granlund, and Granlund did it when the Liga was probably more competitive. Barkov took a few years to come into his own, so it’s silly to say it makes you more “pro ready.” Laine has his limitations.

Joel Armia was also one of the better players on his team in the Liga.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Am I arguing that or are you arguing that?
I'm asking you to clarify your point. That's what I got out of it.

I have no idea whether he was the best player on his team, but his stat line doesn’t suggest it.

It is ten games, many of which were against teams that were worse than a good CHL teams. It is the equivalent of saying Alexander Texier is better than Kucherov because one was better in the playoffs than the other.

If you have concluded that Kakko is a better player even now because of the Worlds, I only pray that you work on the Rangers scouting staff.
I never said that I wanted Kakko first, I only said that it's silly to dismiss Kakko and say that there is a wide gap. There is a good argument that Kakko is the better player right now. And to be honest, likening Kakko to Alex Texier is silly. Kakko was a main piece of a team that won gold and had no NHL players on it (and also beat a team in the championship that had a bunch). That's a fact, you can try to mitigate it all you want but it's still a pretty major accomplishment. Does it make him better than Kucherov? Of course not, but it's still an accomplishment worth noting.

People are sensitive because there is a chance that Kakko ends up being the better player. Guess what, that chance is real and people better start coming to terms with it. Just because Hughes is a good player (and is the guy I would personally take) doesn't mean Kakko is not a good player.

These short tournaments matter. They shouldn't be taken into account over the whole body of work, but they're pressure games. Especially for a guy like Hughes they should matter because he was so ahead of the competition that you want to see how they compete in a pressure environment.

Also, you think a CHL team can take compete at the Worlds? Maybe they beat Great Britain and France, but after that I doubt it.
Antilla was the best player

Antilla is not going to be an impact player in the NHL next year. Kakko is.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

It's easy to see that you haven't watched his games. Just stat watching.

And I think the Devils will draft Hughes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You can be ignorant if you like, but Kakko has a body of work behind him that justifies it. Not too many 17 year olds end up being one of the best players on their team in a pro league.

Hughes has his own body of work that has him still the first overall prospect in this draft.

Kakko will be a Ranger.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
He was, but like Hughes' tournament, it doesn't tell the entire story of his impact on the ice. For instance, Kakko drew a **** ton of penalties for Finland, including the one that would tie the game in the final against Canada. Much like Hughes' tournament for the most part, the points might have not been there, but only a fool who watched the game would argue he didn't have a dynamic impact on the ice.
You know where you are, right? This isn't the place to get defensive, we had to hear a lot of crap when Kakko exploded at the beginning of the WC's so damn right some of us are going to make note of when he cools off. I've also had nothing but good things to say about the kid, so settle down champ.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
You know where you are, right? This isn't the place to get defensive, we had to hear a lot of crap when Kakko exploded at the beginning of the WC's so damn right some of us are going to make note of when he cools off. I've also had nothing but good things to say about the kid, so settle down champ.
I'm the one being defensive? I haven't gone on the offensive once and was simply articulating an opinion. Moreover, just because some idiots posted stupid shit on the general forums about Hughes/Kakko doesn't mean I have to answer for their stupidity. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad