Value of: 1st Overall Pick - Montreal Trying to Acquire it

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
There was only piece that mattered in Lindros trade. Forsberg. Every other piece were nice players you don't blink twice giving up for healthy Lindros at the time. Ricci Duchene Hextall after 91 all nice players who you trade for a Lindros all day every day. But thumps up to Que/Col scouting and getting one of the best players in 90's

Gotta be able to round out a roster. That trade (admittedly along with the Roy deal) put them over. Assembling all those pieces allowed them to make the moves they needed.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Fair to say it would be in MTL's best interest to try and get the 1st overall this year, of all years, so in the case that they don't win the lottery I'm trying to see what kind of package would teams be willing to accept for it.

I would start the offer at:

Pick 2:
Caufield
Romanov
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki

All 2020 draft picks (14 picks total): Assume Montreal ends up with 10th Overall.

Which teams would be willing to accept this offer?
(In the case a bubble team wins the lotto, Petry and Tatar would also become available but minus one of the pick 2)

Jesus dude, you can't be serious. Literally zero chance I'd do this as a Habs fan, especially not for a winger. Imagine a team taking 14 draft picks, Suzuki and Kotkaniemi for a damn winger.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Gotta be able to round out a roster. That trade (admittedly along with the Roy deal) put them over. Assembling all those pieces allowed them to make the moves they needed.
All I mean is this IF Forsberg turned out to be a 50 point nice 2c and Lindros was healthy for 15 years. You would make that trade 10 out of 10 if Flyers. Pick 5 that draft was the legendary Aaron Ward. If he was the player in the trade it would have been good move Flyers with injuries.
But if if's and buts were beer and nuts we would be having a party. But Quebec/Colorado did get the best player in Forsberg in the trade. You got a 1 from the trade and used if for Patrick Roy. And it made their franchise. But it wasn't Ricci, or Duchene or Hextall or K Huffman that made the difference in the trade. It was the 1 and Forsberg which was the difference.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa should we be lucky enough to win 1st OA will not be moved,we have more than enough picks and prospects...To make other deals to fill out our lineup

Reactions: Altimus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
First overall is not a piece you trade away for quantity.

And Montreal doesn't have the 2-3 quality pieces it would take to drag the number one pick from anyone.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This would have to be:

Young roster player (Suzuki)
Top F prospect (Kotkaniemi/Caufield)
Top D prospect (Romanov)
2020 1st (top 10)

which of LA/OTT/DET/NJ/SJ/ANA would do it though

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
This would have to be:

Top D prospect (Romanov)
2020 1st (top 10)

If and its a big if Montreal would somehow get 2 oa as a king fan i would consider 2nd oa, Caufield ( who plays with Turcotte and has chemistry) , Romanov, and 2021 top 5 protected first to switch spots

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If and its a big if Montreal would somehow get 2 oa as a king fan i would consider 2nd oa, Caufield ( who plays with Turcotte and has chemistry) , Romanov, and 2021 top 5 protected first to switch spots
Yeah I mean if the Habs win 2nd or 3rd in the lottery and get that desperate then you never know. There isn't single team that would win the lottery and want to drop out of the top 3-5 range though. Montreal would be getting rinsed to do it though.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yeah I mean if the Habs win 2nd or 3rd in the lottery and get that desperate then you never know. There isn't single team that would win the lottery and want to drop out of the top 3-5 range though. Montreal would be getting rinsed to do it though.
The lowest i would consider going would be 5 to get Drysdale but it would have to be one hell of a offer to drop to that

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
This would have to be:

Top D prospect (Romanov)
2020 1st (top 10)

If the Devils won the lottery I would do that package with Caufield. Getting these prospects + having 3 firsts in a deep draft wouldn’t accelerate the rebuild and we should be competitive within 3 years. MTL gets their man and devils get probably the best prospect pool in the league

Edit: auto correct

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I highly doubt moving one spot is worth Caufield, Romanov and a first round pick. The Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle all looks elite.

Even if Habs get the 3rd overall, I would be ok with drafting one of Rossi or Byfield and keeping everyone else. Byfield being a full 13 months younger than Lafreniere is also a big deal.

The only way I would imagine Montreal being interesting in giving up multiple assets to move to #1 is if they draft #5 or higher.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I highly doubt moving one spot is worth Caufield, Romanov and a first round pick. The Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle all looks elite.

Even if Habs get the 3rd overall, I would be ok with drafting one of Rossi or Byfield and keeping everyone else. Byfield being a full 13 months younger than Lafreniere is also a big deal.

The only way I would imagine Montreal being interesting in giving up multiple assets to move to #1 is if they draft #5 or higher.

Which is fine by this King fan I am only talking about trading first oa even then i bet most king fans would not be happy. King fans are wanting the elite talent and it would be interesting to see what Lafreniere would look like with Kopitar Kopitar never had anyone close to his level of talent .

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
This would have to be:

Top D prospect (Romanov)
2020 1st (top 10)

If I’m the Devils and Bergevin is dumb enough to send me that package, I’m jumping all over it.

We’d still have a 3 picks in the 1st round and we’d be adding Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov to a core of Hischier, Hughes, Smith, Bratt and Blackwood.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am probably wrong on this but I would have my fears of selling the farm to get that #1 pick and using it on a winger.

Montreal can’t land a franchise-type player who isn’t a goalie. Might as well take their chances on this one if they can get a deal done. Odds are against evidently as first OAs don’t get moved.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why stop there? Add Gallagher, Price at 50%, Tatar, Kotka and Romanov.

Also, you get prima-nocta rights until you win a cup.

Prima nocta rights in perpetuity and we have a deal. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Edgy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad