Value of: 1st Overall Pick - Montreal Trying to Acquire it

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
if ottawa won the lottery i think they might trade it.
with 2 top 5 picks, they can easily trade number 1 over all for like a 2x1st round, 2x2nd and 2xprospect package

plus if it was montreal it would be sliding down a dozen picks so they would still get a decent player.

Wait... Are you saying if Ottawa won first overall they would trade it to Montreal?

Ottawa is the absolute last team in the league that would trade the #1 pick.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Would any Montreal fans accept a comparable package if they won the draft lottery and the guy was from Arizona or Switzerland instead of Quebec?

Honestly? I’d jump real hard at Suzuki + Kotkaniemi/Romanov + 8th overall + 3x 2nd (two being high) round picks.

To me, it’s not even a debate it would be a very easy and fast yes.

You’re getting a 20 years old #2 C, a blue chip prospect, a pick where you’re getting most likely another first line/top 6 forward and three more picks in the 2nd round.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly? I’d jump real hard at Suzuki + Kotkaniemi/Romanov + 8th overall + 3x 2nd (two being high) round picks.

You’re getting a 20 years old #2 C, a blue chip prospect, a pick where you’re getting most likely another first line/top 6 forward and three more picks in the 2nd round.

That's bullshit.

And if you'd actually trade the #1 overall pick for that package then you really dont understand the value of that pick...

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
with 2 top 5 picks, they can easily trade number 1 over all for like a 2x1st round, 2x2nd and 2xprospect package

plus if it was montreal it would be sliding down a dozen picks so they would still get a decent player.
Seem the Sens have plenty of draft picks in the nest couple of years.
Not a chance they trade off the 1oa

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That's bullshit.

And if you'd actually trade the #1 overall pick for that package then you really dont understand the value of that pick...

I do. I really do. But you’re getting at the very least 3 very high quality assets with one being already #2 C at 20 years old and you still get the chance to hit a home run at #8.

If I’m Montreal and we win the lottery and Chicago call and offers Dach, Boqvist, their first round pick and three more 2nd round pick I move the #1 overall (and I consider this to be an inferior offer to the one from Montreal but still it’s the closest I could find)

It’s just too many good/future elite assets for a winger.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
i think this proposal is nuts. I think one of the most insane trade ive seen is the Lindros one.
Lindros got :

Steve Duchesne,
Ron Hextall,
Kerry Huffman,
Mike Ricci,
the rights to Peter Forsberg,
the Flyers' first-round pick in 1992 (seventh overall)
and 1993
and $15 million.

Your 5 first lines are basically 4 firsts and 1 second. Forsberg hadnt played an nhl game, so ill give him 1rd value.

so that leaves

Steve Duchesne,
Ron Hextall,
Kerry Huffman,
Mike Ricci,
whatever 15M is worth lol

You have 1 first and one 2nd left, and you wish to add 14 extra picks? (including another 1st and 2-3 seconds). I dont think this package is worth that.

not to mention you dont have any players to play with Lafrenière and no promising youth coming up.

You know... The whole idea behind writting "pick 2" in my post, was that you could only pick 2 of the players I listed.

It's okay though, reading isn't for everyone...

Gaud

May 11, 2017
You know... The whole idea behind writting "pick 2" in my post, was that you could only pick 2 of the players I listed.

It's okay though, reading isn't for everyone...

LOL i took that as Pick #2 OA.
How do you value the 4 assets listed? I mena.. their value isn't even

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Montreal's only chance of getting the 1st OA is to win the lottery. Lafreniere looks ridiculously good and no team is going to give that pick up for a quality/quantity swap. Plus a number of the worst teams have stockpiled picks and don't want more.

Is there a way you can trade hockey assets for a bit of extra luck? (Oh wait, you could do that. By selling off more of your rental players in order to give young players opportunities to suck and lose games in a meaningless season, and get better odds with the ping pongs. And yes, I know it's the owner's call. Not trying to be a dick.)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I do. I really do. But you’re getting at the very least 3 very high quality assets with one being already #2 C at 20 years old and you still get the chance to hit a home run at #8.

If I’m Montreal and we win the lottery and Chicago call and offers Dach, Boqvist, their first round pick and three more 2nd round pick I move the #1 overall (and I consider this to be an inferior offer to the one from Montreal but still it’s the closest I could find)

It’s just too many good/future elite assets for a winger.

The thing is, especially this year, you are getting a franchise altering player with the #1 pick. Especially for teams in the basement that has far more value than 3-4 good or great pieces but not elite franchise level pieces.

It's as simple as that. The franchise guy just Carrie's so much more value than a few great pieces but nothing elite.

Let me put it this way. If I had the first overall pick and a team came offering me Bowen Byram + Alex Newhook + Andre Burakovsky + 1st... I still say no pretty easily.

The only piece from my own personal favorite team I'd move a #1 pick for is Makar or MacKinnon. Pieces nobody is ever going to give up. Hence why 1st overall picks simply are not traded anymore.

Reactions: DallasGaume

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

The Senators are the last team that would trade Lafreniere.

There are maybe a dozen fans attending games right now. They would benefit more than any other team by bringing in a player with Lafreniere's name value. It also helps that he is a french star, and the Senators have traditionally had difficulties capturing the Francophone portion of the Ottawa/Gatineau population. Those people cheer for the Canadiens, and they try to indoctrinate their children to do the same.

There is also a strong possibility that within the next decade, there will be an arena at Lebreton Flats. For those unfamiliar with Ottawa, the city has access to two large populations of Francophone fans. One is East of downtown in Orleans. The other is very close to downtown, across the river in Gatineau. Both have a combined population of about 400k. The current arena in Kanata is on the opposite side of the city as Orleans. The city is in the process of building a second phase to their new LRT line that will extend from Orleans to where the next arena might be in Lebreton Flats. Meaning, fans in Orleans would be able to travel to Sens games with a 15 minute train ride.

Meaning, if the Senators can sort out the downtown arena business, Lafreniere will be immensely valuable to them as a marketing tool. They will never convert the older Canadiens die hards, but they can win over the casuals who are more likely to bandwagon, along with the children of the die hards who will break their parents conditioning and throw down the bleau blanc whatever to do the right thing and cheer their local team. A single tear will stream out of the framed photo of Jean Beliveau that sits on the mantel alongside the family pictures for the Senators will have for the first time in their history captured the imagination of Ottawa's Francophone population.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Fair to say it would be in MTL's best interest to try and get the 1st overall this year, of all years, so in the case that they don't win the lottery I'm trying to see what kind of package would teams be willing to accept for it.

I would start the offer at:

Pick 2:
Caufield
Romanov
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki

All 2020 draft picks (14 picks total): Assume Montreal ends up with 10th Overall.

Which teams would be willing to accept this offer?
(In the case a bubble team wins the lotto, Petry and Tatar would also become available but minus one of the pick 2)
Montreal are not trading for the 1st overall pick .

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
wonder if Detroit would accept a monster package from Montreal? Yeah it would be nice to have that one elite talent, but Detroit needs EVERYTHING.

I would expect Suzuki+Romanov+Domi+multiple 1sts. I think Laf is going to be Matthews/Eichel tier, maybe even higher.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
1st overall picks don't get traded. Colorado tried to get Lecavalier in 1998 offering all 4 first round picks they had but was turned down. Picks turned into Tanguay, Skoula, Regehr and Parker.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Look at what the Flyers gave up to get Lindros. How did that work out for them in the end?

I don't think the trade was that terrible. Obviously I still think it favored Quebec but only because of Lindros' injuries and Forsberg reaching his potential.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Look at what the Flyers gave up to get Lindros. How did that work out for them in the end?
There was only piece that mattered in Lindros trade. Forsberg. Every other piece were nice players you don't blink twice giving up for healthy Lindros at the time. Ricci Duchene Hextall after 91 all nice players who you trade for a Lindros all day every day. But thumps up to Que/Col scouting and getting one of the best players in 90's

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't think the drop between 1 and 2-3 is as astronomical as some of you all are making out to be. I guess it'll depend where Montreal finishes and what they get in the draft lottery. I do think the marketing aspect of getting a Quebec native to be the face of the franchise is worth an overpayment, but maybe not an absolute crazy amount like some of these proposals.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Ottawa is the last team that's going to trade quality for quantity.... they have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds this year, including 2 in the top 10.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The thing is, especially this year, you are getting a franchise altering player with the #1 pick. Especially for teams in the basement that has far more value than 3-4 good or great pieces but not elite franchise level pieces.

It's as simple as that. The franchise guy just Carrie's so much more value than a few great pieces but nothing elite.

Let me put it this way. If I had the first overall pick and a team came offering me Bowen Byram + Alex Newhook + Andre Burakovsky + 1st... I still say no pretty easily.

The only piece from my own personal favorite team I'd move a #1 pick for is Makar or MacKinnon. Pieces nobody is ever going to give up. Hence why 1st overall picks simply are not traded anymore.

Not all first overall are equal. As I said, here, we’re talking a potential franchise winger, which isn’t the same as a franchise center or defenseman. Again, in Habs proposition you’re getting:

- Established 2nd line center who could potentially be a first line center as soon as next year and is only 20 years

- 3rd overall a year and a half ago (Center) with clear #1 C potential OR one of the highest rated prospect (LHD) in the game. A dynamic, fast, skilled and physical 20 years.

- #8 overall in a very deep draft - clear cut first line potential whoever remains on the board.

- Three second round pick.

You’re basically three elite (or potentially elite) assets who are or trend to be either top pairing D or first line Centers along with a clear cut blue chip prospects and 3x 2nd round pick. Again, nothing against Lafreniere but if my team win the lottery and turn down this offer or something similar in value I’d be mad. This is just too much.

**Your offer from Colorado isn’t close in value (in my opinion). We could argue that Byram + Newhook is somewhat similar (if not inferior) in term of value against Suzuki + Kotkaniemi/Romanov and I would choose the 8th overall + three 2nd any day of the week against Bura + what will likely be a mid to late 20’s first round pick.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl

now Suzuki is a 2c... he's a 1c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad