Value of: 1st Overall Pick - Montreal Trying to Acquire it

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
Fair to say it would be in MTL's best interest to try and get the 1st overall this year, of all years, so in the case that they don't win the lottery I'm trying to see what kind of package would teams be willing to accept for it.

I would start the offer at:

Pick 2:
Caufield
Romanov
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki

All 2020 draft picks (14 picks total): Assume Montreal ends up with 10th Overall.

Which teams would be willing to accept this offer?
(In the case a bubble team wins the lotto, Petry and Tatar would also become available but minus one of the pick 2)

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Fair to say it would be in MTL's best interest to try and get the 1st overall this year, of all years, so in the case that they don't win the lottery I'm trying to see what kind of package would teams be willing to accept for it.

I would start the offer at:

Pick 2:
Caufield
Romanov
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki

All 2020 draft picks (14 picks total): Assume Montreal ends up with 10th Overall.

Which teams would be willing to accept this offer?
(In the case a bubble team wins the lotto, Petry and Tatar would also become available but minus one of the pick 2)
I want to pick 3 and also your first 3 picks of the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Do you do it?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I don't even know how to evaluate this. You are proposing a 1 for 14 deal. You don't give away a star for lesser assets, but that's a lot of lottery tickets. Either way, it's unrealistic

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
If this was an actual serious offer on the table from Montreal and Detroit had the 1st pick, im taking this in a heartbeat. This would be crazy to turn down for a player who hasn't played a single NHL game yet no matter who they are.

As a Jets fan if we won the lottry I'd also think hard about this. We're in more win now mode so Laf might be more valuable short term than that package but it's tempting.

EDIT: Misread OP, thought he was including all Caufield/Romanov/Suzuki/KK. Definitely wouldn't for 2 based on where WPG is.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong... but the consensus is that Lafrieniere is substantially better than whomever goes #2 and so forth...

Based on that, there's really no deal to be made here. Montreal isn't going to deplete their entire prospect system to pin their hopes on some 18 year old kid... regardless of where he's born.

Teams generally like the prospects they have (they did after all draft / acquire them). Maybe if there were 3-4 guys sort of debatable at the top of the draft, you'd see a deal where a team who doesn't like Lafreniere moves down using some of Montreal's 2nds... but that doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: north49er

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Everyone has to remember that if Montreal does not acquire the #1 pick we will have to endure 20 years worth of terrible "Lafreniere to MTL" trade proposals on this board.

It may be in our best interest to just get it over with now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
From a business POV, a team bad enough to get 1st OA keeps the pick just for the ability to craft a marketing plan around the player and get asses in seats to see him.

Maybe in a draft where there isn’t a clear cut #1, but not this draft.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Montreal will draft around 5-7 so I expect a big, fast power-winger.

There's none at this #. great.

Would love Lundell or Holloway though

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
wonder if Detroit would accept a monster package from Montreal? Yeah it would be nice to have that one elite talent, but Detroit needs EVERYTHING.

From Detroit’s perspective. I’d want Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, and Montreal’s 1st coming back in a deal if we win 1st Overall and maybe send an add like Cholowski as well. I doubt Montreal, or anyone, is willing to give up the talent required for a team to turn down picking Lafreniere

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
I want to pick 3 and also your first 3 picks of the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

Do you do it?

No, if you want to pick 3 then you don't touch 2021. If you want 2021, you pick 1.

We could easily finish bottom 5 again in 2021 which could be another 1st overall pick... Makes no sense to do that

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
From Detroit’s perspective. I’d want Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, and Montreal’s 1st coming back in a deal if we win 1st Overall and maybe send an add like Cholowski as well. I doubt Montreal, or anyone, is willing to give up the talent required for a team to turn down picking Lafreniere

Swap either Suzuki or KK with Poehling and I'd do that deal straight up without Cholowski

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If Minnesota gets the 1st overall and Montreal picks in the top 10, I'd do:

Domi + Caufield + Suzuki + Montreal's 1st in 2020 and 2021, Montreal's 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2020 for the 1st overall.

That would help Minnesota out a lot

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
yeah this is the kind of deal i'm thinking of. Montreal (fans at least) seem absolutely desperate to land Lafreniere.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
If Minnesota gets the 1st overall and Montreal picks in the top 10, I'd do:

Domi + Caufield + Suzuki + Montreal's 1st in 2020 and 2021, Montreal's 2nd and 3rd round pick in 2020 for the 1st overall.

That would help Minnesota out a lot

Remove Mtl's 1st in 2021 or make it Top 15 Protected. Then that's a deal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
nothing realistic would work.
Most likely the team picking 1st just says I'm picking, sorry Bergy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad