Value of: 1st overall 2018 (i.e. Rasmus Dahlin)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If you could guarantee next year's first overall for Dahlin, I would do that.

I would trade Dahlin for pretty much any elite young forward. People are going to be disappointed when they see where this kid ends up long term.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Am I totally crazy in being slightly skeptical of the Dahlin hype? I know he looks great and his numbers compare well to Karlsson and all. My only concern is that so many of his better highlight reel plays are him absolutely abusing people using time and space that I can’t imagine existing in NHL games. Even a guy like Karlsson rarely gets the chance to deke through an entire team going end to end but Dahlin does that kind of stuff fairly often from what I’ve seen.

I admittedly haven’t watched him a ton. Am I totally off on this evaluation or is the idea that he’ll make/find this space in the NHL? Or something else?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
People are going to be disappointed when they see where this kid ends up long term.

Based on what? This kid is the best defensive prospect to come along since Hedman (and I'd argue has a bit more hype/slightly higher ceiling). Every aspect of his game grades above average, with most being exceptional.

D men are harder to project when you're talking about most prospects, but the exceptional ones almost always live up to the hype - Doughty, Hedman, Jones and Ekblad (to a lesser extent) most recently. Of those, Hedman is the only one with similar hype to what Dahlin is receiving.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Am I totally crazy in being slightly skeptical of the Dahlin hype?

He's the best D prospect I've seen since Jones but yea I'm also speculative how much of an impact he's going to have. Hedman took a while to develop and now he's absolutely dominant but OEL might have looked better early on for a little while. Dahlin really has to round out his overall defensive game before he gets put in the same class as some elite d-man......guys like Doughty aren't just elite offensively, they are minute-eaters defensively as well.

In terms of his dynamic ability with the puck, he's the best D at his age I've ever seen though

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Disagree. Helps a team that's rebuilding but wants to compete, ala Buffalo. You'll get 3-5 good years out of Tanev, and he'll probably still be a useful top 4 for the next 5-8 years. While he's gotten injured a lot, they're never really the same injury, so it's too early to say how the injuries will impact his career.

If your rebuilding but want to compete Your ran by a moron. The whole purpose of a rebuild is to move all your non core and aging guys for picks and prospects and build a good team. That’s why Buffalo is so slow on their build is the last GM was awful as he traded young players and high pick, neither should be done in a rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Watch the Flames just miss the Wild Cards and win the lottery, wouldn't that just be perfect.
Wouldn't that give the Islanders Dahlin? I didn't see any protection on the 1st. So yes, if the Oil can't win it, that would just be perfect.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Based on what? This kid is the best defensive prospect to come along since Hedman (and I'd argue has a bit more hype/slightly higher ceiling). Every aspect of his game grades above average, with most being exceptional.

D men are harder to project when you're talking about most prospects, but the exceptional ones almost always live up to the hype - Doughty, Hedman, Jones and Ekblad (to a lesser extent) most recently. Of those, Hedman is the only one with similar hype to what Dahlin is receiving.

From what I've seen I don't see a stud. Most people with opinions on him are basing it on world juniors and maybe U17. I'm not even convinced he'll be seen as the best player in the draft five years from now.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
If you could guarantee next year's first overall for Dahlin, I would do that.

I would trade Dahlin for pretty much any elite young forward. People are going to be disappointed when they see where this kid ends up long term.

I completely agree. Dahlin is the most overrated 1OA in recent memory. He's no Matthews and certainly no McDavid. Not worth anywhere near what people are claiming on here.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Huh? He has 11 points in 50 games this year despite playing on the teams number 1 power play unit for nearly 2 months.

He is replacement level junk.

What are you talking about? Granlund was not on our number one PP unit for even one month?

Hes making under a million dollars of course he has trade value smh.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
What are you talking about? Granlund was not on our number one PP unit for even one month?

Hes making under a million dollars of course he has trade value smh.
How about you actually watch the Canucks play before posting.

Granlund was playing on the teams number 1 unit when Horvat was hurt.

Man you homers don’t even watch your teams play.

Player is on pace for less than 20 points while getting favourable deployment. This replacement level junk shouldn’t ever be mentioned in a thread with Rasmus Dahlin.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I completely agree. Dahlin is the most overrated 1OA in recent memory. He's no Matthews and certainly no McDavid. Not worth anywhere near what people are claiming on here.
oh is he?

as far as im concern 1st overall are NEVER traded in modern NHL and dahlin is easily the best Dman prospect from the last decade. does it mean he will reach his potential? not at all, is it worth gambling to trade him? if 1st overall like yakupov, hischier aren't worth taking a risk to trade, imagine the current most valuable position and being considered by everysingle analyst dominant. he's already playing with men, he stats are already there at such a young age. His vision, defensive abilities, hands... and elite edgework... dahlin is not overrated at all.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
To original poster, I'd be tempted to take #1, #3 and #4 (especially if the 2019 pick was not protected) offers.

If the Hawks won the lottery, that is.

If the Hawks had to make an offer, I don't know if the roster has any pieces valuable enough. Schmaltz + 2 firsts probably won't do it. If DeBrincat has any value add him too, but I don't think it makes much difference.

In order for the Hawks to successfully trade for Dahlin, the lottery would have to be won by a bubble team that is "going for it" next season, and then we can discuss deals involving Pat Kane etc.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
oh is he?

as far as im concern 1st overall are NEVER traded in modern NHL and dahlin is easily the best Dman prospect from the last decade. does it mean he will reach his potential? not at all, is it worth gambling to trade him? if 1st overall like yakupov, hischier aren't worth taking a risk to trade, imagine the current most valuable position and being considered by everysingle analyst dominant. he's already playing with men, he stats are already there at such a young age. His vision, defensive abilities, hands... and elite edgework... dahlin is not overrated at all.

Most people would call 2003 the modern era but it is pretty rare and it usually happens when there is no consensus #1 guy and the team in question thinks their guy will fall.

Defensemen are a bit scarier as top guys because it is so much harder to step in and be a top pairing D. I cannot think of a top drafted D who stepped in and did what McDavid or even Matthews did, Brian Berard won the Calder but he was not a franchise player. They are just much harder to project.

My guess is the team that wins the lottery keeps him unless it's a team like Chicago who could trade the assets to bounce back as Contenders. This is also the flaw with this thread, how do you make a package without knowing the teams needs.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
oh is he?

We have no way of knowing if anybody put together decent offers for guys like Hischier. I do think that he would've been moved if NJ had been offered something like pick 3 and some other significant pluses, for example I would have traded 1OA for 3OA and another top 10 pick in a draft like this past one (in hindsight it would probably be a bad move as Nico has been fantastic).

Anyway, my point is that Dahlin is not a McDavid level prospect. It was pretty clear that Connor was going to be a top 5 player in the league before he was drafted. Dahlin might become a top 5 Dman or he might not even be a top 50 Dman. He's much less of a sure thing. To emphasize this if someone offered Dahlin for Hischier right now I probably wouldn't trade Nico for him. Furthermore, if I'm picking 1OA and D isn't my number one need I'd take Svechnikov over Dahlin.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
We have no way of knowing if anybody put together decent offers for guys like Hischier. I do think that he would've been moved if NJ had been offered something like pick 3 and some other significant pluses, for example I would have traded 1OA for 3OA and another top 10 pick in a draft like this past one (in hindsight it would probably be a bad move as Nico has been fantastic).

Anyway, my point is that Dahlin is not a McDavid level prospect. It was pretty clear that Connor was going to be a top 5 player in the league before he was drafted. Dahlin might become a top 5 Dman or he might not even be a top 50 Dman. He's much less of a sure thing. To emphasize this if someone offered Dahlin for Hischier right now I probably wouldn't trade Nico for him. Furthermore, if I'm picking 1OA and D isn't my number one need I'd take Svechnikov over Dahlin.
Well that's only because you're a homer. Yes he isn't a McDavid level prospect, and I think he is overrated a little bit too. But with that said, he is significantly more valuable than Hischier.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Ok and name me one mcdavids level prospect since crosby? Theres a reason why they are called generational. We knew mcdavid would beca generational nhl player even before he played a single game. Dahlin does have generational dman potential but its hard to know if his dominance will translante at the next level.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
How about you actually watch the Canucks play before posting.

Granlund was playing on the teams number 1 unit when Horvat was hurt.

Man you homers don’t even watch your teams play.

Player is on pace for less than 20 points while getting favourable deployment. This replacement level junk shouldn’t ever be mentioned in a thread with Rasmus Dahlin.

So if we put a defensive forward knowing that his strength is not the powerplay, onto the powerplay and he doesn't produce, that means he has not offence? Lmao that not how it works. If Dorsett went on our powerplay and did not produce that does not mean he has no value, it means hes not suited for that role.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So if we put a defensive forward knowing that his strength is not the powerplay, onto the powerplay and he doesn't produce, that means he has not offence? Lmao that not how it works. If Dorsett went on our powerplay and did not produce that does not mean he has no value, it means hes not suited for that role.
Please explain to me how this player isn’t replacement level junk, he’s a negative possession player, bleeds goals against is the lowest scoring player in the NHL to play 800+ minutes.

He’s not really good at anything, is there anything he’s objectively good at? Can you a construct an argument? You’ve already been called out for having a double standard by Canucks posters by peddling their value on the main board and smack talking them on the Canucks board.

You guys are shameless homers.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Ok and name me one mcdavids level prospect since crosby? Theres a reason why they are called generational. We knew mcdavid would beca generational nhl player even before he played a single game. Dahlin does have generational dman potential but its hard to know if his dominance will translante at the next level.

I hate the Leafs as much as the next guy, but Matthews could be on par with McDavid. Too early to say, but the two haven't exactly separated themselves yet.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I hate the Leafs as much as the next guy, but Matthews could be on par with McDavid. Too early to say, but the two haven't exactly separated themselves yet.
I mean i think they aren’t on the same level but its the same for matthews, was considered very very good before the draft but not generational, but with potential to be... and is delivering his potential at the next level so far. It’s very safe to say that dahlin is on par with matthews in term of prospects pre-draft potential!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad