Value of: 1st overall 2018 (i.e. Rasmus Dahlin)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I want to preface this thread by stating it is for fun. I know teams don't ever trade the 1st overall pick. I know it won't happen. This is a fun exercise, nothing more. You can take your wet blanket to another thread.

I know it's difficult to gauge the value because we don't know what team owns the pick yet, but people here can still say whether or not they'd accept the deals proposed.

From the Vancouver Canucks, I'd do a variety of different deals.

#1:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall, for the sake of argument)
-Olli Juolevi
-Chris Tanev

This is essentially 3 quality top 4 dmen. Juolevi has gotten his development back on track and looks to be a promising young dman. The 3rd overall/4th overall pick should net you a great defenceman or Zadina. Tanev helps anchor your defence for the next few years and helps your team become competitive in the immediate future.

#2:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall)
-Chris Tanev OR Juolevi (probably Juolevi for a rebuilding team)
-Kole Lind
-Adam Gaudette OR Jonah Gadjovich
-2nd round pick (34rd or 35th overall)

#3:
-1st round pick in 2019 - non-protected
-Pettersson
^hesitant to do this as it obliterates our centre depth.

#4:
-Tanev OR Juolevi
-1st round pick 2019 (top 10 protected)

I realize many people will say "start with Horvat/Boeser" - and that's a fair assertion to make. My proposals are meant to help fast-track the other team's rebuild (assuming the 1st overall pick is for a rebuilding team like Phoenix or Buffalo), by offering many young pieces in a variety of positions. It is quality for quantity, but the quantity still has many quality assets.

Do any of these offers get serious consideration?

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
If a late team wins, a la Philly/NJ, I could see option 1 being considered, but Canucks would likely probably have to add some cheap scoring. Perhaps Bearcheese, or Granlund. Only if that team was hoping to compliment their backend.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
If a late team wins, a la Philly/NJ, I could see option 1 being considered, but Canucks would likely probably have to add some cheap scoring. Perhaps Bearcheese, or Granlund. Only if that team was hoping to compliment their backend.

Even a good team would just plug Dahlin in.

His numbers would be fantastic with elite players around him and proper structure.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Markus Granlund doesn’t have an ounce of trade value.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Don't forget Dallas stealing a lottery pick too last year. Crazy how all 3 teams weren't even expected to land one. There's always a chance a good team misses the playoffs (Western Conference most likely) and could steal the 1st overall pick. But, I can't imagine they'd trade it away. You just don't trade away talent like that, but if a proven young player is coming back it could be a different story

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I've been joking for months that if they don't make the playoffs, this is the year the Canes definitely win the lottery.

It's fate...the first time I can recall that the franchise-1C/dynamically-offensive F we need just isn't there at 1OA. If I'm the Canes, I'm not looking for a package and I'm less interested in moving back in the 1st than simply swinging for the fences for the best single piece I can get.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I want to preface this thread by stating it is for fun. I know teams don't ever trade the 1st overall pick. I know it won't happen. This is a fun exercise, nothing more. You can take your wet blanket to another thread.

I know it's difficult to gauge the value because we don't know what team owns the pick yet, but people here can still say whether or not they'd accept the deals proposed.

From the Vancouver Canucks, I'd do a variety of different deals.

#1:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall, for the sake of argument)
-Olli Juolevi
-Chris Tanev

This is essentially 3 quality top 4 dmen. Juolevi has gotten his development back on track and looks to be a promising young dman. The 3rd overall/4th overall pick should net you a great defenceman or Zadina. Tanev helps anchor your defence for the next few years and helps your team become competitive in the immediate future.

#2:
-Chris Tanev OR Juolevi (probably Juolevi for a rebuilding team)
-Kole Lind
-Adam Gaudette OR Jonah Gadjovich
-2nd round pick (34rd or 35th overall)

#3:
-1st round pick in 2019 - non-protected
-Pettersson
^hesitant to do this as it obliterates our centre depth.

#4:
-Tanev OR Juolevi
-1st round pick 2019 (top 10 protected)

I realize many people will say "start with Horvat/Boeser" - and that's a fair assertion to make. My proposals are meant to help fast-track the other team's rebuild (assuming the 1st overall pick is for a rebuilding team like Phoenix or Buffalo), by offering many young pieces in a variety of positions. It is quality for quantity, but the quantity still has many quality assets.

Do any of these offers get serious consideration?
I mean most of the trades involve Tanev as one of the major pieces, wouldn't say that helps a rebuilding team at all.

Also around these parts Dahlin has already won a Norris despite never playing in the NHL so these proposals for him will never be taken seriously.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The only one that really does make sense for whoever pick first is #4 and that is only if it’s 2018 1st (top 5) + Juolevi + 2019 unprotected first.

If the Nuck’s first pick fall out of the top 5, it would probably take Juolevi + Petterson + 2018 1st

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If the Oil won it, and the Nucks were adamant they must have Dahlin, the ask would be Horvat + Boeser. Even then, I probably wouldn't do it. Kid is a lock to be a #1 D.

King Trumps Revenge

Feb 2, 2018
Assuming Buffalo doesn't win it outright:

Ristolainen
2018 first rounder (lets be honest this is a top 5 pick)
2019 first rounder(top 10 protected)

Edit (spelling/clarification of 2018 pick)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Watch the Flames just miss the Wild Cards and win the lottery, wouldn't that just be perfect.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Maybe a signed Tavares

I'd probably say no either way. Tavares is obviously the proven one, but going forward an 18 year old is more valuable than a 28 year old to a rebuilding team, and I think it's easier to get by with a 2C player in a 1C role that with a 2D player in a 1D role. (Neither is ideal, of course)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad