Value of: 1st overall 2018 (i.e. Rasmus Dahlin)

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Actually would like to hear what you would offer.

I know you were asking howkie, but...

If I was sitting on 1OA, I'd be asking for Barzal and the later 1st this year.

Don't need a raft of picks or multiple lesser specs. That kind of deal no longer makes sense unless the team sitting on 1OA is just starting a tear-down rebuild...and such a team probably just takes Dahlin and never considers a trade.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fun thread almost created exactly that few days ago.

How does this package from Montreal sound for Dahlin:

- 2018 first (Let's say 4th or 5th)
- Drouin or Galchenyuk
- 2019 1st (unprotected)

Better or worst than OP? Good enough? Too much?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Actually would like to hear what you would offer.
Well, first you need to offer a young impactfull player who can be marked as the next superstar, and then something more since Dahlin is like the biggest talent since Mcdavid. Since Im a Jet fan, I expect the team to atleast ask for Laine and Morrissey, and I would not pay it, but the price is not outrages. What players you offered could be marked as hard as Dahlin?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The Islanders have the 10th and 14th pick + a 2nd line player + a#4D and a 1st next year. Not like i'm sending over peanuts.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Islanders have the 10th and 14th pick + a 2nd line player + a#4D and a 1st next year. Not like i'm sending over peanuts.

It's a bunch of picks and futures. A team trading 1OA is a team that doesn't want to take the time to develop Dahlin and thinks they can parlay him into the one (or two) immediate piece they need.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
he aint being traded....end of story,

trading him would be like us trading Sergachev....oh wait :sarcasm::sarcasm:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
But if you end dead last and get the first overall pick, if you gonna start a turn around and rally the fans, who would you market? A player in same caliber as Mcdavid, Matthews and Eichel or a bunch of decent player that noone really heard about? Dont need me to think long about that..

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

??
n-PEANUTS-628x314.jpg

Reactions: Grebinator

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If teams believe Dahlin is a generational defenseman, that pick will never be traded.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I want to preface this thread by stating it is for fun. I know teams don't ever trade the 1st overall pick. I know it won't happen. This is a fun exercise, nothing more. You can take your wet blanket to another thread.

I know it's difficult to gauge the value because we don't know what team owns the pick yet, but people here can still say whether or not they'd accept the deals proposed.

From the Vancouver Canucks, I'd do a variety of different deals.

#1:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall, for the sake of argument)
-Olli Juolevi
-Chris Tanev

This is essentially 3 quality top 4 dmen. Juolevi has gotten his development back on track and looks to be a promising young dman. The 3rd overall/4th overall pick should net you a great defenceman or Zadina. Tanev helps anchor your defence for the next few years and helps your team become competitive in the immediate future.

#2:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall)
-Chris Tanev OR Juolevi (probably Juolevi for a rebuilding team)
-Kole Lind
-Adam Gaudette OR Jonah Gadjovich
-2nd round pick (34rd or 35th overall)

#3:
-1st round pick in 2019 - non-protected
-Pettersson
^hesitant to do this as it obliterates our centre depth.

#4:
-1st round pick 2018 (3rd or 4th overall)
-Tanev OR Juolevi
-1st round pick 2019 (top 10 protected)

I realize many people will say "start with Horvat/Boeser" - and that's a fair assertion to make. My proposals are meant to help fast-track the other team's rebuild (assuming the 1st overall pick is for a rebuilding team like Phoenix or Buffalo), by offering many young pieces in a variety of positions. It is quality for quantity, but the quantity still has many quality assets.

Do any of these offers get serious consideration?

No none of your proposals get consideration. IF the Coyotes are trading Dahlin it is to get better right away. I agree with that. First player they demand is Horvat. Then Boeser. And probably Tanev.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I would offer package of Kapanen, Zaitsev, Rasanen, Woll, and 3 first rounders.
Again, to much parts. Offer 1 or 2 assets and atleast 1 should be something you can market and be a centerpiece in a team. Would you take a package like that for Matthews?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Chabot + 1st (likely 2nd or 3rd). Chabot + Svechnikov? I dunno if I would do it if I am Pierre Dorion though.

Ottawa will likely win the lottery and get Dahlin and flaunt EK-Chabot-Dahlin at opposing teams.... beggar dreams (cuz El Cheapo won't increase Dorion's budget to fit all three after ELC expures).

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Chabot + 1st (likely 2nd or 3rd). Chabot + Svechnikov? I dunno if I would do it if I am Pierre Dorion though.

Ottawa will likely win the lottery and get Dahlin and flaunt EK-Chabot-Dahlin at opposing teams.... beggar dreams (cuz El Cheapo won't increase Dorion's budget to fit all three after ELC expures).

Ottawa "flaunt" those three players.? Well OEL has another year in Ottawa. Yea we have seen how well Ottawa and done with Karlsson in his 7 years as a Senator. Three winning rounds.
Don't really know why folks think Melynk so cheap. Only teams with are very good should be near the cap. Mediocre to poor teams shouldn't garner top cap love.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Montreal wins the lottery:

To Montreal:

Draisaitl
Edmonton’s 1st

To Edmonton:

Dahlin

How close is that?

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Say the wings win it. If I would even consider trading it(which I most likely wouldn't) it would take great pieces at center,defense,goalie. Just a team that comes to mind that has that is the jets.

Scheifele
Trouba
Hellebuyk

Jets probably don't touch that and id still be wary of it

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
You'd trade Matthews for Reilly and 2 1sts?
Well all depends on who drafts 1st and their needs? In reality no way any team will pry the 1st pick. Cost be to much and Dahlin going to whoever drafts 1st. First have to convince another gm and price will jacked up to wow them to consider. Highly unlikely to happen..

Last edited:

Maxtorres

Feb 7, 2016
Blois
For getting the guy like Dahlin in your team by trade, you have to feel roberred next 4-5 years. It's a franchise player's price.
Ex. Edmonton's pack is
Draisaitl 30%
Adam Larsson
2019,2020,2021 1st picks non protected

for Jets is
Laine and maybe something (someone) more

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Whoever lands the 1st overall pick, will NOT trade it away. Period.

In the Canucks case, attempting to trade for Dahlin (if they don't win the lottery) would cost an arm and a leg.

Realistically, you'd be looking at trading Boeser and Pettersson..........at minimum.

The Canucks are better off holding on to what they have. Build up the prospect pool via depth. Trading away Pettersson would only create another problem for us (i.e. no legit heir apparent to Henrik). Having Pettersson-Horvat as our potential 1-2 combo at center for the next 10-12 years should turn into a tremendous advantage.

Lastly - there are plenty of good D available in this draft. Guys like Boqvist and Dobson aren't Dahlin, but they've got some major potential as well.

Stay the course.

Either win the lottery and draft Dahlin, or wait until he possibly becomes a UFA circa 2030. :p

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
For getting the guy like Dahlin in your team by trade, you have to feel roberred next 4-5 years. It's a franchise player's price.
Ex. Edmonton's pack is
Draisaitl 30%
Adam Larsson
2019,2020,2021 1st picks non protected

for Jets is
Laine and maybe something (someone) more
For jets it would be Laine and Morrissey, atleast for a team to listen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad