Value of: 1st or 2nd LW to MTL

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Look you believe what you want to and that's fine.

The fact is he doesn't play higher than Rielly, Gardiner or Zaitsev. Further more he would be fighting for top 4 minutes with Carrick, Marincin and maybe even more. I don't see him as being that much of an upgrade over that and certainly not worth JVR if it is.

Which brings me to my final point which is while you may be using him as your #2 this year the Leafs would much rather package JVR for a much better #2 defenseman.

It is certainly not a knock on Beaulieu or Juulson for that matter, its largely that neither of those players fit our need.

no offense but jvr wont get u a #2D.

Theres no reason to sell low on Beaulieu when hes primed for a breakout season. He took some major steps from 2 seasons ago, played really well for the habs up until his injury. He's back and healthy. Give him one more year. His potential is miles ahead of Marincin and Carrick.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
no offense but jvr wont get u a #2D.

Theres no reason to sell low on Beaulieu when hes primed for a breakout season. He took some major steps from 2 seasons ago, played really well for the habs up until his injury. He's back and healthy. Give him one more year. His potential is miles ahead of Marincin and Carrick.

I said a package so JVR + for a #2 and literally everything you said about Beaulieu you could say for JVR. On top of that without JVR, Komarov becomes our best winger....let that sink in for a bit.

The Leafs are a very bad team right now. In fact as far as standings go, the worst team in the league. Rookies will develop and be better of course but in the meantime we need to compete and ice an NHL team. Trading JVR for anything that brings in Beaulieu as the main piece only makes us worse.

As far as potential goes, the Leafs would much rather pay for a player that is going to be a number 2 sooner than later. We can't only have key pieces on the team being young an inexperienced.

I would much rather trade with Minnesota but like this situation it's not really a match. They probably don't really need JVR as much as a 1C so whatever we offer would have to be an overpayment.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I said a package so JVR + for a #2 and literally everything you said about Beaulieu you could say for JVR. On top of that without JVR, Komarov becomes our best winger....let that sink in for a bit.

The Leafs are a very bad team right now. In fact as far as standings go, the worst team in the league. Rookies will develop and be better of course but in the meantime we need to compete and ice an NHL team. Trading JVR for anything that brings in Beaulieu as the main piece only makes us worse.

As far as potential goes, the Leafs would much rather pay for a player that is going to be a number 2 sooner than later. We can't only have key pieces on the team being young an inexperienced.

I would much rather trade with Minnesota but like this situation it's not really a match. They probably don't really need JVR as much as a 1C so whatever we offer would have to be an overpayment.

I agree that A beaulieu for Jvr trade would be absolutely horrible from a leafs pov. JVR is really good and all and I doubt Bealieu alone entices the leafs to bite. But as u said about ur LW depth, the habs have a similar issue on the LD. Markov, Emelin are both not good enough to play with Weber (Markov's mobility isnt). Beaulieu on the other hand, he may not be a top pairing but he has the potential and is still really young a terrific skater to compliment Weber. I just wanna see one more season of Beaulieu.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Cammaleri - Skinner - Hartnell - Van Riemsdyk - Conner/ Ehlers

What is the cost to one of these to Montreal

Mike Cammalleri: Have been GREAT in playoff with Montreal
Jeff Skinner: great come back year, canes probably don't want to move him
Scott Hartnell: still solid player who can score hit and add leadership
James Van Riemsdyk: Don't know if toronto want to keep him or move him,,, but i think the toronto fans always overestimate his value.
Winnipeg got three young LW, one of Ehlers, or Connor will waste is time on the 3rd, are the Jets willing to move one of them ... (big price here i know ...)

for the first 4 players, the team have to take salary in return!!!

I'm curious what N-J, Canes, Jackets, Leafs and Jets want to let the LW go to MTL.

None of these guys really excite me. Hartnell might be a good choice but he is an older guy and kind of expensive.......unless there is a leadership void, don't the Habs follow the model of trying to get younger and cheaper? I don't see a huge move between the Laffs and Habs. Skinner......meh, Clammy? Hmmmm..........maybe, price can't be too much. I don't know much about the Win. players.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Let's see what Lehkonen brings to the table. I'm pretty sure he is ready to be an effective middle 6 forward in the NHL. With 5 good top 6 forwards already in place, we can afford a rookie player on the 6th spot to show skills. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carr or Lehkonen puting 20ish goals playing with Plekanec and Gallagher on the second line.

McCarron is showing a lot of qualities. Leadership, toughness, grit, very good hands around the net. That being said, he can use another year in the AHL leading the farm team. He still needs to shape his body to maximise his speed, which is his achiles heel.

My lineup to start the year :

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Gallagher
Carr-DD-Shaw
Byron-Danault-Mitchell/Ghetto
Flynn

Beaulieu-Weber
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Pateryn
Barberio

If Lehkonen or Ghetto can't do the job on the top 6 comes holidays, you go try and get a more experienced rental on the trade deadline.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
None of these guys really excite me. Hartnell might be a good choice but he is an older guy and kind of expensive.......unless there is a leadership void, don't the Habs follow the model of trying to get younger and cheaper? I don't see a huge move between the Laffs and Habs. Skinner......meh, Clammy? Hmmmm..........maybe, price can't be too much. I don't know much about the Win. players.

I'd go get Skinner in a hearthbeat.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Habs need to keep their assets to get a quality dman. We have tons of options for LW this year : Hudon have been one of the league leader for goals in the AHL the past two seasons, Lehkonen is coming off a MVP playoff season in Finland, Sherback will be in his 2nd pro year, Andrighetto had a decent season last year with us, so were Daniel Carr.

And there is wild card like Martin Reway

I'd bet at least one of those 6 players have a breakout season

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
He scored 24 less points in 5 less games and dropped 20+ points in plus/minus. That's regression. In a re-draft he'd go later than 26th. I can honestly say that I would not trade a prospect in the Leafs top-20 for Juulsen right now. Zaitsev, Dermott, Nielsen, Carrick and Valiev are all stronger D-prospects imo.

Even Stephen Desrocher a 6th rder from that same draft out pointed Juulsen by a significant margin and he's in the Leafs mid/late 30's in terms of prospect rankings. He probably won't even get a contract lol
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Kapanen is our 5th best prospect. You're overrating g Juulsen big time. He doesn't make the Leafs top 10 prospects.

Here's what Top Shelf Prospects wrote about Juulsen just to inform the stat watchers. http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/08/06/tsp-montreal-canadiens-prospects-3/

Some might look at the stats, a 24-point decrease from his draft year, and think that Juulsen had a poor season with the Everett Silvertips last year. That would not be accurate. The Everett Silvertips had used their previous two first round picks on Auston Matthews and Tyson Jost, two players who choose to play elsewhere. Their leading scorer from 2014-15, Scherbak had gone to the pro ranks. As a result the team had a hard time generating goals.

In order to win games, coach Kevin Constantine put in a rigid system that emphasized defence. Juulsen was tasked with being the team’s primary shut down defender, and playing the toughest minutes against every team’s top lines. It worked, as the Silvertips were the best defensive team in the league, and made the playoffs despite the lack of offensive firepower. Juulsen’s strong defensive play was recognized when he was named to the WHL‘s second all-star team.

That being said I'm happy to keep Juulsen if all the stat watchers think he's a bust

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's what Top Shelf Prospects wrote about Juulsen just to inform the stat watchers. http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/08/06/tsp-montreal-canadiens-prospects-3/

That being said I'm happy to keep Juulsen if all the stat watchers think he's a bust

WHL 2nd all-star team, eh?

Nielsen was on the WHL 1st all-star team last season. Valiev was on the WHL 2nd all-star team the season before.

Zaitsev was on the KHL 1st all-star team the last 2 seasons and is Russia's #1 Dman at the World Cup.

Dermott was on the OHL 2nd all-star team last season and was the direct cause of Juulsen missing the Canadian WJ team.

Carrick has back to back AHL all-star game performances and scored 18pts in 15 AHL playoff games last spring. He and Zaitsev are locks for the Leafs top-6 this season.

Out of those 5 dmen the only ones without a WJ performance are Nielsen and Juulsen.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Nielsen was on the WHL 1st all-star team last season. Valiev was on the WHL 2nd all-star team the season before.

Zaitsev was on the KHL 1st all-star team the last 2 seasons and is Russia's #1 Dman at the World Cup.

Dermott was on the OHL 2nd all-star team last season and was the direct cause of Juulsen missing the Canadian WJ team.

Carrick has back to back AHL all-star game performances and scored 18pts in 15 AHL playoff games last spring. He and Zaitsev are locks for the Leafs top-6 this season.

Out of those 5 dmen the only ones without a WJ performance are Nielsen and Juulsen.

keep ur players, i dont see them being better.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
keep ur players, i dont see them being better.

A very good argument could be made that those prospects are better than Juulsen and they are at the very least comparable. Not a single one gets you anywhere close to JVR in return. The Leafs have 5 better Juulsen's, but they only have one 6'3 winger with 30/30 ability in the pool.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal

So tell me if they're so good how come you only won the prospect game by a goal while Sergachev and Juulsen weren't playing and Fucale giving you a couple of gifts? :laugh: I agree you have some good defense prospects with legit shot at the NHL but so does Juulsen

All 4 of them will be better than Juulsen. In fact, all 4 already are.
I just love it when posters make predictions like they're God :laugh:

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
So tell me if they're so good how come you only won the prospect game by a goal while Sergachev and Juulsen weren't playing and Fucale giving you a couple of gifts? :laugh: I agree you have some good defense prospects with legit shot at the NHL but so does Juulsen

I just love it when posters make predictions like they're God :laugh:

Juulsen was the best habs D in that tourny and was probably the best out there. He dominated the first game and had a good second game.

Habs vs Leafs. Dermott nor Nielsen were impressive.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I too believe that Hartnell would be cheap, hence why I mentioned him. No idea what Columbus would think is a fair deal though.

It's gotta be something like DD and a 3rd rounder or something like that. Which is the typical habs proposal :laugh:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
beteween having very little cap space to work with and the abundance of left shooting prospects or potential people to try, ( lehkonen, hudon, andrighetto, carr, danault, terry, desharnais, reway. even scherbak shoots left ) it'll be a while to we see any acquisitions i would think.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Lol you try so hard. You know damn well JVR isn't a 40 pt forward.

Hfboards is the only place where potential is worth more than anything

No he's not a 40 pt player But he's an a career average 50 pt player and i would laugh at the idea that the Leafs think they could get sergechev for him.:laugh:

No onto your other quote how about a proven Galchenyuk for a potential Matthews.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad