Proposal: 1st OA pick (Patrick) for Panarin

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
If he was a C, maybe.

He's also going to be 26 next season, teams that finish last are usually 4 years+ away from contending so you'd be wasting a lot of Panarins best years on a rebuilding team.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Panarin will probably be a better point getter than Patrick will be, but that is not all that matters. Patrick has the skills to potentially be a Toews or Getzlaf level player, and more realistically a Monahan level player. Most teams that are in contention would prefer that as a piece of a rebuild than a ready made piece that will be 28 to 29 by the time they are ready to contend. That also doesn't include the fact you have to pay Panarin 6 million a year during a rebuild, then probably only get 3 to 4 years out of him while you are actually trying to contend.

Not all 1st overalls are equal, and this isn't the strongest draft, but in general it is reckless for a team that is currently at the bottom of the league to trade a draft pick for a player in their prime they have to pay. The only team it might make sense for is the Isles, but they would have to know that Tavares would re-up on July 1st, 2017. The Isles timeline makes it a discussion atleast worth having.

Teams like Toronto, Vancouver, Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, and Detroit are probably too early in their current development strategy to make an aggressive move like that.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
That's one way to look at it. The other is: Hm, cost controlled asset or an RFA with arbitration rights that could flee back to the KHL or leave as soon he is UFA eligible. There's no guarantee that Panarin will want to sign with a rebuilding team.

Actually, it would depend on the team. If you are talking about a team like say LV, then sure, it doesn't make sense. However, what if it's a team at the END of their rebuild instead of the start? What if the Oilers were to win it? They have PLENTY of center depth and rather than wait for another "prospect" to develop, maybe they'd want to add a key core player now to make them real competitive now. What if (God forbid) the Habs had Price go down again and they missed the playoffs this year and won the lottery? Don't you think it would behoove them to add a top line winger NOW to go with their current core set up to win now as opposed to "building for the future" and waiting on a prospect?.

Again, there isn't an easy answer, my point is that there can exist scenarios where a team WOULD both consider and MAKE such a trade

Maybe under this type of scenario Paladin WOULD love to stay with the team trading for him. Maybe, just maybe he'd see a 5 year window for himself to etch his name on the cup multiple times

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If I'm Carolina and I get the 1OA, I would consider trading the pick for a signed Panarin. They are at a point where a top scorer on the first line would immediately put them at a playoff bubble spot.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Actually, it would depend on the team. If you are talking about a team like say LV, then sure, it doesn't make sense. However, what if it's a team at the END of their rebuild instead of the start? What if the Oilers were to win it? They have PLENTY of center depth and rather than wait for another "prospect" to develop, maybe they'd want to add a key core player now to make them real competitive now. What if (God forbid) the Habs had Price go down again and they missed the playoffs this year and won the lottery? Don't you think it would behoove them to add a top line winger NOW to go with their current core set up to win now as opposed to "building for the future" and waiting on a prospect?.

Again, there isn't an easy answer, my point is that there can exist scenarios where a team WOULD both consider and MAKE such a trade

Maybe under this type of scenario Paladin WOULD love to stay with the team trading for him. Maybe, just maybe he'd see a 5 year window for himself to etch his name on the cup multiple times
The issue in most of these cases is, that they are unlikely to easily find that extra 6m dollars over the long haul. For example, with the Oilers exiting their rebuild they are about to have to pay McDavid and Draisaitl a bunch of money, and if he develops eventually Puljujarvi. Now, maybe they trade 1OA for Panarin then trade RNH for futures, but how significantly does that improve your team, and it still creates a future cap crunch. This is why we rarely see these type of deals, the type of team exiting a rebuild that could afford to do it, can't because it significantly shortens their window.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
If I'm Carolina and I get the 1OA, I would consider trading the pick for a signed Panarin. They are at a point where a top scorer on the first line would immediately put them at a playoff bubble spot.

Yeah Carolina is one team that it probably makes sense for. They have the salary structure to sign Panarin, appear to be set for the forseable and the need for an immediate impact 1st line player (which this draft apparently lacks). And since about 1/3 of their team right now are ex-Hawks Panarin would fit right in :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad