Proposal: 1st OA pick (Patrick) for Panarin

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
You don't think Patrick ever gets to the level where the cost difference isn't a factor?

We're talking about Panarin, right? Like, you're not mistaking him for McDavid or something?

Lol yeah I'm aware. If I had to bet, no he doesn't. It's possible but not likely. Panarins a good player, much better than rnh and ebs who are reasonable comparables to Patrick. I'll take the talent over savings for a rebuilding team who shouldn't have cap problems anyway

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
I'm a big fan of Panarin but I don't think it would make sense. Panarin has maybe 3-5 years left in his prime while a 1OA has 10-12 and costs far less... In addition, although I think Panarin is very skilled he might not have the same impact on a team that isn't as good as Chicago. I don't think he would tear up the league like he did last year on a rebuilding team (but he would still be very good). Makes no sense for a rebuilding team which are really the ones who have a reasonable shot at 1OA. Draft the player, develop them and even if they don't end up quite as good as Panarin (like a RNH) it is still the better option.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
As a hawks fan I'd do it.

In reality no team in their right mind does it other than the hawks. I could see it happening with a 2nd-4th pick if there is a team (islanders, carolina) that are looking for a quick turn around and a proven player.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
No team does it because it's likely the team finishing 1st overall is a rebuilding team who needs either Patrick or Liljegren more. I love how people think Patrick is a lock for 1st overall, but in reality, depending on who actually picks 1st.. I think Liljegren is more likely to go 1st.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No team does it because it's likely the team finishing 1st overall is a rebuilding team who needs either Patrick or Liljegren more. I love how people think Patrick is a lock for 1st overall, but in reality, depending on who actually picks 1st.. I think Liljegren is more likely to go 1st.

Honestly if Detroit got the 1st overall pick in the 2017 draft, I could definitely see them taking Liljegren over Patrick rather easily. Maybe quite a few other teams as well. A lot of it depends on those teams needs if they want a Center then it's Patrick if they are seeking a blueliner then it's Liljegren plain and simple.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
IMO if the Hawks move Panarin, it needs to be for multiple assets to replenish the depth they've lost over the years, not a 1-for1 deal that still leaves them lacking depth. Find a team with a ton of forward prospects/young players that wants to trade multiple pieces to accelerate a rebuild.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
No at first glance, Panarin is a top 10 forward in the universe. IF he is unwilling to sign a reasonable contract with the Blackhawks, this might be of interest. Not a fan of having to give away an all world talent but Hawks will be fine.

Either he signs for market value, gets traded for multiple top players or someone signs him to an offer sheet and we take multiple first round picks.

The Stanley Cup machine keeps rolling.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Logic says he won't be able to produce in the same capacity without Patty Kane. He's a great player but he won't have the luxury of playing with a top-5 offensive player in the league anymore (most likely). Then theres the issue of years of control and cost. Say what you will but there is value in having a player under your control until he hits UFA and having him on an ELC contract.

I do not think any team would do this.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
For the leafs, yes, as you lock in a deadly winger for matthews for the next 6 years.

I love Panarin, but not a chance would the Leafs make this trade.....get real! That would be the opposite of everything management has said they'd do differently this time. Trading away a 1st overall pick (albeit what may be a weak draft) would be the ultimate slap in the face to the fans. And weak draft or not, I like the odds of the 1st overall pick turning into a player of at least Panarin's level with 6-7 years of low salary to boot.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I love Panarin, but not a chance would the Leafs make this trade.....get real! That would be the opposite of everything management has said they'd do differently this time. Trading away a 1st overall pick (albeit what may be a weak draft) would be the ultimate slap in the face to the fans. And weak draft or not, I like the odds of the 1st overall pick turning into a player of at least Panarin's level with 6-7 years of low salary to boot.

So you love 1% odds gamble? It's not a good chance.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If the Avs win it, quite easily no. Patrick might very well never produce like Panarin is now, in fact he more than likely won't, but for a team that needs a rebuild, the 18 year old centre is a lot of more valuable than the (by next season) 26 year old winger.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If the Avs win it, quite easily no. Patrick might very well never produce like Panarin is now, in fact he more than likely won't, but for a team that needs a rebuild, the 18 year old centre is a lot of more valuable than the (by next season) 26 year old winger.

Hehe, yeah, Colorado fans know it very well.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
So you love 1% odds gamble? It's not a good chance.

There's a 1% chance the 1st overall pick reaches Panarin's level? Am I understanding that correctly? The number one picks dating all the way back to forever disagree with those odds.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Well at the moment, Panarin looks to be posting back to back 75-80 pt seasons.

The question is do you think Patrick will be producing at that rate or better in the future?

At that rate? Sure, I can agree with that, if all goes right.

Better? Meh... that would be a stretch to automatically pencil a guy in for routine 80+ in todays NHL

I would say its a fairly even swap, the main reason to decline is obviously the cost control of an ELC and bridge player, where as Panarin is obviously going to get paid long term now

Doesn't Panarin play primarily with Kane? If so then yes it's very good that he is on pace to have back to back 75-80 point seasons, but he's playing on a line with one of the best players in the league, he won't get that playing for any team really that finishes with that 1st overall pick, the Canucks for example, no way he is a 70 point player on this team.

Patrick has franchise center written all over him, you don't trade that for a winger.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There's a 1% chance the 1st overall pick reaches Panarin's level? Am I understanding that correctly? The number one picks dating all the way back to forever disagree with those odds.

1. Not all 1sts overall are the same.
2. How many 1sts overall have ever become top10 scorers in the league?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No at first glance, Panarin is a top 10 forward in the universe. IF he is unwilling to sign a reasonable contract with the Blackhawks, this might be of interest. Not a fan of having to give away an all world talent but Hawks will be fine.

Either he signs for market value, gets traded for multiple top players or someone signs him to an offer sheet and we take multiple first round picks.

The Stanley Cup machine keeps rolling.

This is an insult to the great forwards from omicron persei 8

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Chicago is the only team that would make that exchange. It's not that Panarin isn't good enough. It's that the 1st overall pick will be cost controlled, cheaper, and a better long-term asset.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Panarin is a good player how would he be on a team that was bad enough to draft 1st overall? Someone helping Chicago with their cap by trading 1st overall like this would **** me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad