Value of: 1st OA 2019 Draft (Jack Hughes)

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Would anyone trade Eichel, Dahlin, Matthews, Laine etc because Hughes could be just as good
No they wouldn't. The difference is we already know those players (minus Dahlin) are already franchise players. Hughes projects to be that. There is a difference.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Not really. That doesn't come close to a first overall pick in a strong year. It's gotta hurt like hell to get the first pick.
Yes, really.

Nylander, Kadri and Brown is a great offer for 1OA.

a player who hasn't played a single game

For

2C- 28 years old
1st line winger - 22 years old
3rd line winger - 24 years old

That being said, I'll take Hughes.. but I'm certainly considering it depending on team structure. Its not farfetched

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yes, really.

Nylander, Kadri and Brown is a great offer for 1OA.

a player who hasn't played a single game

For

2C- 28 years old
1st line winger - 22 years old
3rd line winger - 24 years old

That being said, I'll take Hughes.. but I'm certainly considering it depending on team structure. Its not farfetched

Yeah its not close lol.

This is a first overall pick we are talking about.

That 22 year old winger has a shitty contract situation and cant carry his own line.

3rd line winger = who cares

Kadri isnt young enough to a rebuilding team.

All of that for a franchise changing talent for 10+ years.

Matthews, Mackinnon, Tavares, Kane, Stamkos, Dahlin etc. Thats the type of player you are expecting of drafting in this draft. The only first overall picks you would move that package for are RNH , Yak and maybe Hischier. No one else in the last 12 years I would even consider for that package.

If you made a poll right now between that package and the first overall pick it would be locked.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
1st OA picks are the most valuable pieces in hockey, hence why they are essentially never moved.

Unless your deal is one that is built around moving down to the 2nd or 3rd pick for some reason with a substantial + it'll never happen.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
No one has traded a #1 pick in the cap era. Before that the only deals involving #1 picks pre draft involved good young players and other picks in the top 5.

I never understand threads like this but they pop up every year. It's absolute fiction to believe a GM would consider trading the 1st pick in a draft (at least while knowing what the pick is). It's actually even ludicrous to suggest trading a top 10 pick at all, as the only trade since the cap that involved a top 10 pick that wasn't being traded for another top 15 pick was the Schneider trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad