Value of: 1st OA 2019 Draft (Jack Hughes)

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Living in the hypothetical world, if the Avs or any playoff bound team won the first overall as a supplemental pick, they would be probably even less likely to move it than a basement team IMO. A top tier ELC contract is so valuable from a management stand point. If they move that pick for roster players thats more cap space that you are having to dedicate and shift around. I think more front offices would rather have one major asset that helps them keep their existing team together for longer.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Look at the bottom teams, or teams expected to be there. Do you see any of them taking that offer? It most certainly is more than Tanev to offset losing out on #1.
That’s exactly what I’m saying. The rest of my post goes on to say that too. My English is good, but not great so the semantics may have been confusing. I apologize if that’s the case.

It’s rare that a #1 is part of a future dominant deal. You don’t trade, possibly, the best future available for a veteran.

I know people aren’t as high as I am on Juloevi, but he’s still a top 10 pick in most drafts. My marina are still too far off, as I go back and read it, but it would take more than Juloevi and a 2nd to move into the top spot.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The highest pick I can remembered being traded knowing where it would fall since 2000 was 7OA + voracek for Jeff Carter.

Yes, Leafs traded #2 and #11 OA in back to back years for kessel, and the Senators are likely to trade a top 6 pick for duchene, but yup.

I wonder if there's a reason why 2000 was chosen as the cutoff point, and not 1999. :P

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Hypothetically if the habs won 1st OA what would it take to move that pick, knowing how badly montreal has needed center depth..?

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Hypothetically if the habs won 1st OA what would it take to move that pick, knowing how badly montreal has needed center depth..?
Avs fans think Hughes would be worth Seth Jones, so you could probably get MacKinnon for him.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
The highest pick I can remembered being traded knowing where it would fall since 2000 was 7OA + voracek for Jeff Carter.

Yes, Leafs traded #2 and #11 OA in back to back years for kessel, and the Senators are likely to trade a top 6 pick for duchene, but yup.
1999, when I believe 1,2,4 and 5 all moved the morning of

That said, I don't move that pick for anyone unless it's an upgrade on his potential (another, better young C orD) which I cannot see. If Colorado gets it, I don't move it unless I get a McAvoy/Provorov type player back at least

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No team is ever going to trade the 1OA pick, especially when a player of Hughes caliber is available. This isn’t Yakupov that we’re talking about, Hughes is the best prospect to come out since McDavid. Any team could have offered 4 1sts and Edmonton would have still declined in a second. While I don’t think Hughes is the next McDavid...he’s pretty damn close!

Oh God, its begun.

Reminds me of the Eichel>McDavid hype.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Oh God, its begun.

Not really! Apparently since I didn’t mention Matthews, I’m blaspheming on the Leafs. If Hughes was 6’3” he would have been a way better prospect than Matthews. The only thing Matthews has on Hughes is size and shot, but everything else from puck skills, to quickness, to vision Hughes has him beat by a good margin.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not really! Apparently since I didn’t mention Matthews, I’m blaspheming on the Leafs. If Hughes was 6’3” he would have been a way better prospect than Matthews. The only thing Matthews has on Hughes is size and shot, but everything else from puck skills, to quickness, to vision Hughes has him beat by a good margin.

That is too much whining about a player nobody mentioned.

Hughes will play the wing, and if he doesn't play scared after the first time he gets blown up maybe he'll settle into a Patty Kane-lite type player.

Every year this overhype happens, but very rarely does the player turn out to meet those expectations. All your doing is setting the poor kid up to get dumped on when he's not McDavid-lite.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

Hughes will play the wing, and if he doesn't play scared after the first time he gets blown up maybe he'll settle into a Patty Kane-lite type player.

Every year this overhype happens, but very rarely does the player turn out to meet those expectations. All your doing is setting the poor kid up to get dumped on when he's not McDavid-lite.
LOL you can’t be serious! Leafs fans are hilarious! You didn’t mention Matthews, but you were clearly insinuating. Every year?? Nobody was saying anything like that about Ekblad, Yakupov, Hischier, or even MacKinnon...so pretty much anybody but McDavid in the last few years. Most analysts agree that Hughes is a center and not a winger. I get that you want to hype up your own player, but sorry bud Hughes is a better prospect than Matthews, no matter how much you want to discount him. Besides what I mentioned previously, Hughes has the better hockey IQ and affects the pace of the game better than anyone that has come out of the draft in the last 10 years not named McDavid. Hughes is special!

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Oh God, its begun.

There was never an Eichel > Mcdavid hype. Thats why Buffalo was pissed even though they got the second pick. Unless Mcdavid got hit by a bus before the draft, he was always going first. Unless if you are a blind monkey who picks names out of a hat to determine whose better.

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
This might sound crazy, but we are only a couple of games into the 2018-2019 season. talking about the cost of getting 2019 1st over all Jack Hughes is a bit premature??

Cotton

May 13, 2013
LOL you can’t be serious! Leafs fans are hilarious! You didn’t mention Matthews, but you were clearly insinuating. Every year?? Nobody was saying anything like that about Ekblad, Yakupov, Hischier, or even MacKinnon...so pretty much anybody but McDavid in the last few years. Most analysts agree that Hughes is a center and not a winger. I get that you want to hype up your own player, but sorry bud Hughes is a better prospect than Matthews, no matter how much you want to discount him. Besides what I mentioned previously, Hughes has the better hockey IQ and affects the pace of the game better than anyone that has come out of the draft in the last 10 years not named McDavid. Hughes is special!

In addition to McDavid and Eichel, Matthews and Dahlin, Hughes is supposed to be generational too, wowee, so many in such a short amount of time with only one showing anything close to meeting that hype.

This is just routine overhype and you just happen to be the fanboy with the biggest crush. Pumping his tires and calling him McDavid-lite is okay for now, there was plenty of people just like you chest pumping over Eichel, big f***ing difference once it came to playing actual games in the NHL junior.

Also, I represent myself dopey, not a fanbase, so if you want to attack someone over the team they follow you can direct it at me and not Leafs fans at large. You not knowing the difference between an individual and a group might not seem like much, but it indicates a certain level of stupidity that makes the rest of your argument less than credible.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
There was never an Eichel > Mcdavid hype. Thats why Buffalo was pissed even though they got the second pick. Unless Mcdavid got hit by a bus before the draft, he was always going first. Unless if you are a blind monkey who picks names out of a hat to determine whose better.

Yes, yes there was, the entire year leading up to the draft, media didnt help matters either.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

The Leafs fans seem to put Matthews on the McDavid level. The rest of us level-headed know Matthews isn't near that level it hasn't hurt Matthews a lot so why would Hughes be bothered by it.Seems someone might be butthurt that their team doesn't have a shot at Hughes and that Hughes has a good shot at being closer to McDavid's level more than Matthews.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Well Matthews is nowheres close to being McDavid-lite and it seems he's doing alright so why can't Hughes. Is it because the Leafs have no shot at him.

Nobody said he was Matthews-lite, not even prior to being drafted like in this case. Nobody even said Hughes is not going to do alright either. And this has nothing to do with Toronto.

0 for 3 Habs fan.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Nobody said he was Matthews-lite, not even prior to being drafted like in this case. Nobody even said Hughes is not going to do alright either. And this has nothing to do with Toronto.

0 for 3 Habs fan.
Actually we are 1 and 1 with the last 1 being an overtime lost. :naughty:

And where did you come up with anyone claiming that Hughes was Mathews -lite.:huh:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Actually we are 1 and 1 with the last 1 being an overtime lost. :naughty:

And where did you come up with anyone claiming that Hughes was Mathews -lite.:huh:

My bad, meant nobody ever said Matthews was McDavid-lite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad