Value of: 1st OA 2019 Draft (Jack Hughes)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What would be the trade value for #1OA, 2019 draft, assuming it's Jack Hughes or a player of his ilk?

Looking for Top pairing Dmen or rock solid #3A Dmen, preferably under 30 yrs. old. Guys like Josi, Ellis, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Krug, Ekblad, Hamilton, or even younger less established like McAvoy, Carlo etc.

Picks/prospects can be added if need be, but not be the centerpiece for the trade.

member 157595

The team that wins #1OA next year would likely not move that pick short of a young, established #1 center coming back. Since no one is going to move an Matthews/Eichel/Barzal type for a draft pick of any kind, the pick won't be moved.

Reactions: Ori

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Unless Colorado gets it with Ottawa's pick while they themselves are a playoff team, I don't see anyone dealing that pick. Usually the 1st overall goes to a team in need of a franchise piece that they can build around. The idea of the 1st overall being that, plus being 18 years old and cost controlled makes it more enticing to hold onto than the idea of trading for a young superstar who is about to get paid(or already got paid).

The value though? I guess yeah it would be a Barzal type. Basically something that would never be traded, at least not next summer. A trade down could be more likely but straight up value? I don't see it happening. The team holding the top pick will prefer the 18 year old and the team with the young superstar will prefer to keep him.

Reactions: phlocky

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Same thing that always happens. Trade rumors will surround the pick up until the draft, picking up in intensity as we get closer to it. An insider or two might say that the team with the pick has "one or two" serious offers, and that trade talk will continue until the day of the draft.

And then the team with the pick will keep it and select Hughes and it'll all be for nothing. We see this every year where this isn't a truly generational talent (e.g. McDavid) or a really perfect fit for a team (e.g. Dahlin with Buffalo).

These picks simply don't move anymore. No one is going to risk trading a potentially franchise-changing draft pick.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Unless Colorado gets it with Ottawa's pick while they themselves are a playoff team, I don't see anyone dealing that pick. Usually the 1st overall goes to a team in need of a franchise piece that they can build around. The idea of the 1st overall being that, plus being 18 years old and cost controlled makes it more enticing to hold onto than the idea of trading for a young superstar who is about to get paid(or already got paid).

The value though? I guess yeah it would be a Barzal type. Basically something that would never be traded, at least not next summer. A trade down could be more likely but straight up value? I don't see it happening. The team holding the top pick will prefer the 18 year old and the team with the young superstar will prefer to keep him.

We wouldn’t deal it either. Mackinnon-Hughes? Hell yeah, sounds great.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
If the 1stOA pick gets moved, it will likely be for other high picks, and the draft would have to get more contested near the top. The value of the 1stOA pick is so high because of how good the player could be, but also because 1st overall picks come with hype, which sells seats, as well as maximum control of an asset, and a cheap asset at that.

The nature of the odds are that a weak team gets the 1st OA pick this year, and weak teams will highly value a big piece to build around and sell their fan base on.

Teams that have the types of pieces that a team like that would value are typically in the middle of contending, and wouldn't move an established player unless they felt the 1st OA could immediately provide close to the same on ice value.

Colorado could be a bit of a rare case, given they could be both a playoff team and get the pick, but it's still hard to imagine a team willing to offer enough to get them to move it unless that offer was to move down a few spots as well as get another important asset.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The cost is ridiculously too high for any team in the league, as such they never get traded anymore! 2003 was the last 1st OVA that got traded, Marc Andre Fleury was the pick. That is 15 years, and it happened before the cap started. Like it or not, the cap eliminated all the fun trades and hockey trades we use to see, where there was at least a chance to see stuff like this happen. Now we get a pure hockey trade every 3 or 4 years it seems, the rest are basically for rebuild and/or financial reasons.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Same thing that always happens. Trade rumors will surround the pick up until the draft, picking up in intensity as we get closer to it. An insider or two might say that the team with the pick has "one or two" serious offers, and that trade talk will continue until the day of the draft.

And then the team with the pick will keep it and select Hughes and it'll all be for nothing. We see this every year where this isn't a truly generational talent (e.g. McDavid) or a really perfect fit for a team (e.g. Dahlin with Buffalo).

These picks simply don't move anymore. No one is going to risk trading a potentially franchise-changing draft pick.

The highest pick I can remembered being traded knowing where it would fall since 2000 was 7OA + voracek for Jeff Carter.

Yes, Leafs traded #2 and #11 OA in back to back years for kessel, and the Senators are likely to trade a top 6 pick for duchene, but yup.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The highest pick I can remembered being traded knowing where it would fall since 2000 was 7OA + voracek for Jeff Carter.

Yes, Leafs traded #2 and #11 OA in back to back years for kessel, and the Senators are likely to trade a top 6 pick for duchene, but yup.
Derek Stepan and Raanta for 7th overall and Deangelo

Reactions: Hawaii Honu

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Would anyone trade Eichel, Dahlin, Matthews, Laine etc because Hughes could be just as good

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Assuming the Canucks don't win it, would Tanev + 4OA be enough value?

I put that out there because as a Canucks fan, I don't think I'd go any higher. Tanev + 3OA might be too much for us to pay.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
What would be the trade value for #1OA, 2019 draft, assuming it's Jack Hughes or a player of his ilk?

Looking for Top pairing Dmen or rock solid #3A Dmen, preferably under 30 yrs. old. Guys like Josi, Ellis, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Krug, Ekblad, Hamilton, or even younger less established like McAvoy, Carlo etc.

Picks/prospects can be added if need be, but not be the centerpiece for the trade.

You have a wide range of what the centerpiece could be, but including Carlo in that list is pretty extreme as he has nowhere near the potential of the other players IMO.

It doesn't matter as trading the #1OA outright (as in not something like #1 for #3+) in a cap world has never happened and will take extreme circumstances (or terrible management on one side of the trade) for it to happen at all.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

I put that out there because as a Canucks fan, I don't think I'd go any higher. Tanev + 3OA might be too much for us to pay.

Doubt it, but it depends on the team that finishes last overall. Tanev might not even fit with their new core age, they may not like his injury history, or there could be a huge decrease after this season between Hughes and the field (or anybody that takes over from Hughes).

Would you rather have Dahlin or Tkachuck + Tanev? The duo is great and all, but a possible franchise #1D is far more valuable.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

The difference between 4OA and 1OA is most definitely not Tanev.

Top 3 draft picks don’t have marginal difference. Really, top 10 picks don’t have marginal differences for value.

The difference to move up 3 spots from #4 to #1 might be something along the lines of 4OA + Julovei + 2nd or 3rd (Could be more than this too... a lot more)... something like that. It takes a lot! We don’t really see that anymore.

As we’ve seen in previous drafts, the price from moving up from 22 to something like 18th was this:

PHI: 18th + 79th

WPG: 22nd + 36th

GMs hold draft pick values really high! The difference in that trade was somewhat marginal, but 6/7 spots out of the first rd plus a late first to move up 4 spots along with a mid 3rd is a larger haul.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Raantanen - MacKinnon - Hughes

WOW​

Rantanen is purely a right wing.

It would likely be Kerfoot Jost Hughes on the 2nd line depending on Jost's development as a center.

Landeskog MacK Rants is a line that you don't mess with unless it's moving Landy to the 2nd line for a very good reason.

Reactions: Arwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad