1pm Press conf | Dupuis with 2nd Blood Clot; No Hockey for 6 Months

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Get well, Dupers.

I wanted to crawl through my computer monitor and straight-up murder Rossi for the questions he was asking in that presser.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Get well Dupers, and ACL and a blood clot are sort of just bad freak injuries, not to mention the puck to the back (or neck). Get well Duper, lucks gotta go in your favor soon enough.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Just watched the press conference. The media is so stupid, it's unbelievable. I thought the Maatta press confence was nothing compared to this one, the guy already feel really bad and you add more stupid **** to his life? The Pens Organisation must stop allowing the Players to answer the questions, cuz the media is so stupid. You can feel they are trying to get the best headline , article or whatever is best for their job, so sad for Dupuis. I just hope he'll be able to go through this.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Comments by some of the players:

[NHL]676502&catid=829[/NHL]

[NHL]676499&catid=829[/NHL]

[NHL]676516&catid=829[/NHL]

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Pretty gut wrenching stuff. My thoughts are with him and his sizable family.

Most likely the end of his hockey career, unfortunately. Though at least this is something that he should be able to live a normal life with.

I have had some not-so-nice things to say about the guy over the years. But that's just the sport. Dupuis as a person seems like a great guy and a great father. And his teammates obviously love him. Again... all of my best.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
This really makes me sad, what a heartbreaking presser. Poor effing guy, all the crap he's been through.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
wonder how big the embolus was. PEs can be really tiny and not clinically/radiographically significant at all. some people believe that a huge number of hospital patients actually develop PEs (~20% of all hospital patients, some postulate) but they are so tiny no one actually notices them. they can also be quite fatal, sometimes basically blocking all the blood flow to the lung, causing the lung to infarct and the heart to strain/fail. one guy died from a PE while i was doing chest compressions on him.

so is this why dupuis left the game last night? it must have been fairly sizable for him to notice the symptoms during a game. could have just been shortness of breath and dizziness, but he also might have been coughing up blood and chest pain to the extent that he thought he was going to die. probably the former, since he wasnt rushed to a hospital as far as i know.

if he had a dvt/pe after the surgery, than that was a provoked pe, with his immobilization probably causing the clot. but now he had another clot, with no clear predisposing factor then that is an unprovoked clot. he likely has a genetic condition that makes him predisposed to clotting. the standard of care would be for him to remain on anticoagulation for a long time, possible for his life. most likely he will be retiring.

sad for dupuis but he has had a nice career, will still get paid, and can enjoy an otherwise completely functional life with his family.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He didn't leave the game. He was held out and went to see a doctor the day before.

And that just ****ing slayed me, Jake.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So, I wish I'd never watched those videos.

Let me get the timeline straight.

Injured knee
Blood clot found, treatment started
Knee surgery and then recovery
Another blood clot is found, this time in his lung

That knee injury might have been a blessing in disguise, tbh.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
So, I wish I'd never watched those videos.

Let me get the timeline straight.

Injured knee
Blood clot found, treatment started
Knee surgery and then recovery
Another blood clot is found, this time in his lung

That knee injury might have been a blessing in disguise, tbh.

Unfortunately, it's just as likely the knee injury caused the blood clot. Blood clots often form after trauma like getting slammed by a 200 lbs guy or after immobilization like after tearing an ACL and needing to be off his feet with his knee elevated.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
There was a female tennis pro that had a similar thing. Blown ACL, blood clot from the tissue damage travelled to lung and nearly fatal PE.
What's odd is another clot now after full recovery....

Best of luck to Duper.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Poor Duper. Really feel for the guy. Hope he gets well. :(

And I think I'm gonna skip the presser, since some of you guys have been saying that you wish you hadn't watched it. What did Rossi ask?

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Sad to hear this. All the very best to one of the classiest Pens around. Get well soon Dupes and hopefully he will wear the jersey again but if not thanks for the memories and helping Pittsburgh win a Cup.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Poor Duper. Really feel for the guy. Hope he gets well. :(

And I think I'm gonna skip the presser, since some of you guys have been saying that you wish you hadn't watched it. What did Rossi ask?
Rossi asked three questions, the first two were basically the exact same question about the future of Dupuis' career - obviously nobody can answer that at this stage. Then he asked if Dupuis was "lucky that you found this early." I mean, duh.

Dupuis holds it together pretty well. It's not that bad.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Unfortunately, it's just as likely the knee injury caused the blood clot. Blood clots often form after trauma like getting slammed by a 200 lbs guy or after immobilization like after tearing an ACL and needing to be off his feet with his knee elevated.
That's the terrible truth of this whole thing. Lengthy plane and car trips can also play a factor, such as those a professional athlete would take during a long five-game road trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad