Value of: 1C to Carolina

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The problem with Tavares to Carolina is that they are a very similar organization to the Islanders. If it is safe to assume Tavares doesn't like something about NYI if he refuses to sign with them, why then would he turn around and sign with Carolina for the same reason.

Isn't the reported reason for Tavares not re-signing the Arena deal? The Canes have one of the most stable arena deals in the league.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
The problem with Tavares to Carolina is that they are a very similar organization to the Islanders. If it is safe to assume Tavares doesn't like something about NYI if he refuses to sign with them, why then would he turn around and sign with Carolina for the same reason.

We've been in our arena for twenty years now, that's one glaring issue with your comparison

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Isn't the reported reason for Tavares not re-signing the Arena deal? The Canes have one of the most stable arena deals in the league.

I thought it was that, and the direction of the franchise in general. I mean when I look at that roster, I see a lot of big money spent on 2nd tier players, and a roster with a lot of holes in it. I like a bunch of their prospects, but every team has prospects, and I do not see NYI with enough of them to overcome their roster issues.

Then look around the league. Columbus or Carolina. Both with very complete teams, that are young and deep - just missing a true #1C. Or go sign in Nashville and play on a stacked team, while still getting a top 6 scoring role. If he wanted to come back to Canada, I'm sure Montreal would jump all over him... however I see their roster issues as being fairly similar to those of the Islanders. If he wanted to go to the West coast, San Jose could always be an option. OR he could piss off everyone on the island and sign with the Rangers.

There will be a solid market for JT if he hits FA. The question is what exactly does he want? And while I typically think any individual team is a longshot for any elite FA... I think in this case, Carolina has just as good a chance as anyone to sign him based on where their roster would be with him on it.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Would tend to think, That Ronnie Francis would want more then just Kadri for Justin Faulk.
30 goal two center on a better contract that Faulk? Fair value, Kadri broke out last season and has been the best Leaf not named Matthews this year.

Think you'd be hard pressed to find a better example of a center that holds the same value as Faulk in the league. Maybe Duchene but the Avs aren't look for a RHD.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
30 goal two center on a better contract that Faulk? Fair value, Kadri broke out last season and has been the best Leaf not named Matthews this year.

No need to take it as a knock on Kadri - he's a very good player and one most teams would love to have due to his production, age and contract. But Carolina can get more if they're dangling Faulk. Or they can get a lesser version of Kadri in RNH who's going to cost a lot less due to the fact that Edmonton will likely have to shed salary this summer.

And no, don't get your nickers in a knot. I'm not comparing Kadri to RNH, but the fact that one will be a lot cheaper to acquire and will likely (if not certainly) allow Carolina to keep their blueline intact.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
You guys really believe Tavares is going to sign with a team based only on their arena deal? The guy wants to win. Neither the islanders nor Hurricanes have shown they are willing to do whatever to win. One is a clown party and the other has a cheap owner.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You guys really believe Tavares is going to sign with a team based only on their arena deal? The guy wants to win. Neither the islanders nor Hurricanes have shown they are willing to do whatever to win. One is a clown party and the other has a cheap owner.

Canes fans gotten together and decided that Tavares is 100% signing with them and nobody else. You might think we have more evidence than the sole fact that our arena lease is p sweet, but you'd be wrong.

Deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad