Value of: 1C to Carolina

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I didn't realize that only the Carolina Hurricanes would be willing to offer him $80 million. Apparently there is a rule in the league prohibiting the others from doing it. And certainly after not contending like he wants to, when given the choice of any team in the league, he'd most certainly pick the successful franchise with solid ownership like the Canes.

I think you misunderstand the phrase meanlingless conjecture. It's meaningless conjecture to say that Tavares would pick the Canes over every team in the league. It's not meaningless conjecture to say that an athlete 2 or 3 months away from picking the team, city, contract, coach, ownership would in fact want to explore all options. Thinking that only your team is the one to do it is conjecture.

Reading comprehension. Please point out any point at which I said that Tavares would prefer Carolina over anywhere else.

This is a "1C to Carolina" thread and yet you are surprised that one might be discussing the idea of Tavares to Carolina.

The "meaningless conjecture" is posters saying that Tavares would never go to Carolina. I highly doubt anyone here has the personal insight to say where he would or wouldn't go. However, as this is a "1C to Carolina" thread that you clicked, I am perplexed as to why you would think we wouldn't be discussing the idea or arguments surrounding "Tavares to Carolina".

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Reading comprehension. Please point out any point at which I said that Tavares would prefer Carolina over anywhere else.

This is a "1C to Carolina" thread and yet you are surprised that one might be discussing the idea of Tavares to Carolina.

The "meaningless conjecture" is posters saying that Tavares would never go to Carolina. I highly doubt anyone here has the personal insight to say where he would or wouldn't go. However, as this is a "1C to Carolina" thread that you clicked, I am perplexed as to why you would think we wouldn't be discussing the idea or arguments surrounding "Tavares to Carolina".
Reading comprehension. I never said Tavares would never go to Carolina.

I said expecting him to agree to an extension before a deal is done is unrealistic. Not just an extension with CAR but one with any team. I also never said you shouldn't discuss Tavares to Carolina. Maybe this thinking someone said something they didn't is causing the perplexion (is there a noun form for perplex?)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This just in: Players closing in on 3o who haven't won are super dupery interested in top 10 prospect pools!

Tavares turned 27 last month so the "closing in on 30" sentiment is pretty silly.

Is it really that imaginative to think a guy signing an 8 year deal might be interested in the quality of the team's top Draft picks? Guys who are currently playing in Pro leagues and are 1-3 years from potentially playing next to him in the NHL?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
There are plenty of other teams in need of a center you know that are better positioned or more willing to give up a better haul than the Canes are.

And the proof of this is where? Sure we know that Pittsburgh, NYI and Columbus all negotiated to some extent with Sakic over Duchene... but there's no proof that any of them is willing to give up "a better haul then the Canes are".

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Kadri for Faulk
And the proof of this is where? Sure we know that Pittsburgh, NYI and Columbus all negotiated to some extent with Sakic over Duchene... but there's no proof that any of them is willing to give up "a better haul then the Canes are".

Agreed. If that was the case then a deal probably would have gotten so already.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can't see anyone trading a Hanifin level young player for Duchene.

No one will. It will be at best someone like Murray/Maatta level D (someone who's at most a young 3/4 with potential) and a prospect/player and a 1st. I said this last Feb when the rumors first popped up, and nothing has changed my opinion on this.

I get why Avs fans are not impressed with something like that, but at the end of the day good luck getting a GM to pony up big with a young long term asset like Hanifin for someone who could walk in 1.5 years.

Reactions: travis scott

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jeff Carter for Martin Necas and 1st???
you have the cap space and could trade a Dman for another F

I like Jeff Carter a lot (a) He's on IR right now, which defeats the purpose of helping the Canes win now and (b) No way I see the Canes trading Necas and a 1st for a soon to be 33 year old.

Reactions: Unsustainable

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I like Jeff Carter a lot (a) He's on IR right now, which defeats the purpose of helping the Canes win now and (b) No way I see the Canes trading Necas and a 1st for a soon to be 33 year old.

Injury aside, JC seems to be the kind of player that will age very well and be a 55-60pt player over the next 3-5 seasons and at $5.27 is a bargain by todays standards....
the guy would still allow you to chase JT and if signed you'd have JT, JC, JS.. thats pretty damn impressive! plus the ability to trade a Dman.... Hell, i'd even add tot it..
Jeff Carter
Cal Petersen
for
Martin Necas
1st rounder

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If JT went UFA I would think the Canes have just a good a shot as anyone. They have space under the cap they would absolutely spend on him, have a good young team that's defensively heavy with solid support - and it's number weakness is a player like him. He would be treated like a hero for coming. Not to mention his personal tastes. If he wants to live in a nice area with a moderate climate where he can go occasionally to the grocery store without being swamped than the Canes are a good choice. Some players like that.

You can't say the Canes can't attract fa's based on the teams future success. They're as well positioned as any team to be successful the next few years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
To be fair, Carter’s contract is a great value, particularly for a budget team like Carolina. Carter makes just $12 mil over the final 4 years of his contract.

The Kings, given the type of season they’re having, aren’t trading him, though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If JT went UFA I would think the Canes have just a good a shot as anyone. They have space under the cap they would absolutely spend on him, have a good young team that's defensively heavy with solid support - and it's number weakness is a player like him. He would be treated like a hero for coming. Not to mention his personal tastes. If he wants to live in a nice area with a moderate climate where he can go occasionally to the grocery store without being swamped than the Canes are a good choice. Some players like that.

You can't say the Canes can't attract fa's based on the teams future success. They're as well positioned as any team to be successful the next few years.

Just by re-signing Hanifin and Lindholm, and filling out the rest of the roster with young/cheap players, the Canes are looking at a payroll upwards of $65 mil. Tavares would add another $10 mil or so, and that's if he's generous enough to accept a more balanced structure in his contract.

Unless a new, deep-pocketed owner emerges, I don't see how that's feasible financially.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Injury aside, JC seems to be the kind of player that will age very well and be a 55-60pt player over the next 3-5 seasons and at $5.27 is a bargain by todays standards....
the guy would still allow you to chase JT and if signed you'd have JT, JC, JS.. thats pretty damn impressive! plus the ability to trade a Dman.... Hell, i'd even add tot it..
Jeff Carter
Cal Petersen
for
Martin Necas
1st rounder

Necas isn't going anywhere.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The Canes/Preds are the two teams with the most to offer for Duchene, but are not willing to do so, which you can argue is smart or not. But those two definitely have the "best hauls".

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The problem with Tavares to Carolina is that they are a very similar organization to the Islanders. If it is safe to assume Tavares doesn't like something about NYI if he refuses to sign with them, why then would he turn around and sign with Carolina for the same reason.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Just by re-signing Hanifin and Lindholm, and filling out the rest of the roster with young/cheap players, the Canes are looking at a payroll upwards of $65 mil. Tavares would add another $10 mil or so, and that's if he's generous enough to accept a more balanced structure in his contract.

Unless a new, deep-pocketed owner emerges, I don't see how that's feasible financially.
I think Tavares is the player they would overextend for. Karmanos has shown he'll pay when he thinks it's worth it and the team has a chance.

I wouldn't assume everyone gets resigned either, if it happens. That's where some of our new found depth would have to come in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad