Value of: 1B level Goalie to Chicago

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Mzarek does seem like the obvious choice! Worn his welcome in Detroit out, probably super cheap to acquire and might actually be good behind a defence who can some what keep the high danger chances low!

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I understand all that, but he fits two huge criteria for the Hawks, he'd be cheap to get and Detroit is looking to trade him.

Right now, the Hawks are having to rely on a guy who's playing his first full season as a backup and a 32 year old rookie. We need something a bit more stable to help buy us some time. Mrazek, while not being all that great, could do just enough to keep our hopes alive for the time being. I mean, Mrazek did at least have one season when he played 54 games and had a .921 save percentage...

I think the choice comes down to the two bolded items. The Hawks either pay a good future asset or two and/or take on unattractive salary for a "stable" option, of which there probably aren't many currently on the market, or they take a chance on someone that won't cost them any future assets/cap space.

Mrazek definitely isn't the most "stable" option, but you're looking at coughing up maybe a 3rd or 4th (and maybe a spare goalie?) to get Mrazek at 50% retained and then being able to wash your hands of him in June. About the only way you get a goalie cheaper is if someone goes on waivers, you want to take on Masons salary, or you want to try out Chad Johnson or Eddie Lack...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Pickard could be a cheap option.

He has played pretty well for the Marlies since we got him and shown some flashes for COL in the past.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I bet ya the Sabres will ask for too much knowing the Hawks are sort of desperate a little. I think Lehner might have a better chance ending up with the Islanders.
Rationale sabres fans are gonna be fine with a 2nd or 3rd for lehner. The deal can be expanded too

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
And also the worst. They have 2 average backups. They need a better goalie if they intend to compete. And the going rate for these seems to be 2/3rnd picks.

Name one available NHL goalie with a higher save percentage than McElhinney's 0.916 who works cheaper and costs less.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Like predicted, nothing is out there that would be a wortwhile improvement. Grubauer is the only one that might entice me, but why would WAS trade him unless they receive something good in return that helps them now? Hawks do not have the assets to give up for a slight, short term improvement in goal. Those assets would be better spent in other areas.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
It's a ridiculous offer. Take out one of the picks and then maybe it makes sense.
Ya take out that incredibly valuable 3rd round pick and it goes from a ridiculous offer to one that makes sense.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
4th for Mrazek is something I'd like to see. Other would be Grubauer, but not sure what pick would get if done. Could always add Berube for AHL.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I want you guys to take Mrazek, so he can shut everyone in Detroit up and make Kenny look like the fool he is on his way out. The only better thing would be if he went to Tampa and won a cup.

EliasBestersson

Jan 16, 2018
Vancouver: Del Zotto & Anders Nilsson

Chicago: Ian Mitchell & Jeff Glass

Chicago reportedly has been showing interest in Del Zotto and if the value of Ian Mitchell seems fair (though I'm sure there will be debate, other suggestions of Chicago prospects can be inserted in his place as deemed fit) Chicago can get both an improvement to their D core as well as an upgrade on goaltenders while Vancouver brings in another defensive prospect like they so desperately need while getting a worse but seemingly serviceable enough backup goalie to tide them over until they bring on someone else in free agency.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vancouver: Del Zotto & Anders Nilsson

Chicago: Ian Mitchell & Jeff Glass

Chicago reportedly has been showing interest in Del Zotto and if the value of Ian Mitchell seems fair (though I'm sure there will be debate, other suggestions of Chicago prospects can be inserted in his place as deemed fit) Chicago can get both an improvement to their D core as well as an upgrade on goaltenders while Vancouver brings in another defensive prospect like they so desperately need while getting a worse but seemingly serviceable enough backup goalie to tide them over until they bring on someone else in free agency.

This would have to be an insta-do by Benning. Mitchell is a fairly highly rated prospect, and would bolster the Canucks woeful blueline prospect group.

MDZ is pretty bad. If we can peddle anything for him, we have to ship him out.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Petr Mrazek at $2 million for a 2018 4th round pick.

No we are not doing that Detroit has already been offered a third but Holland is holding out a 2nd for him.

Here is what we will do. Mrazek with 50% retained for a 3rd round pick. If the Hawks advancr to the 2nd round of the playoffs it becomes a 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad