Value of: 1B level Goalie to Chicago

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Nope.

It's sir. And also nope.

Probably be a good option if the Hawks are for sure without Crow this season. Lehner's cap hit (even with salary retained) likely wouldn't work with the Hawks if Crow were to come off LTIR this season, but if they feel he'll be out for the full season, I wouldn't mind looking into the price of Lehner.

Like I said with Lehner above, it really depends on how likely it is that Crow stays on LTIR this season, but I like Halak in a "probably wouldn't cost all that much to acquire" sorta way.

A bunch of options are listed goes for the only 1A and says their looking for a 1B for cheap lol

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lehtonen would make sense, but I like the health insurance on Bishop + I really don’t want to help out Chicago

How does Lehtonen make sense lol then we have to trade for another backup goalie. We shouldn't be making any trades right now, and it's likely we resign Lehtonen next year to a team-friendly cheap contract short term

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Not bad. A little pricey, but I would be curious to see if he could perform better away from Buffalo. He's also young enough that if Crow looks like his career is over ( :( ), the Hawks could maybe get some sort of long term deal done with Lehner before he hits free agency.
Hes RFA. If Crawford is back you can re-trade him in the summer without talking any extensions. IMO hes perfect for your situation, just not sure exactly what his price is. Mine is just a best guess..
Its the same with Mrazek who is likely cheaper but probably worse choice for a goalie and highly unlikely worth qualifying in the summer and thus recouping assets in a retrade.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ward is the only one that makes sense. Halak is worse than Glass right now. Lehner has no experience leading a team down the stretch and into the playoffs. Even Lehtonen with 50% retained salary is not worth it.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Meh, might as well go with the 32 year old rookie and the Anton Forsberg, nothing out there worth giving up assets for.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Grubauer? All he needs is some consistent starts (and to get out from behind Holtby) and I don't see why he can't be a serviceable starter. Better than Neuvirth is/was, in my eyes.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I havent followed jf berube's 17/2018 season but I suspect since the Glass dude and Forsberg are keeping him out of the conversation he isnt deemed a magic bullet here

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ward is the only one that makes sense. Halak is worse than Glass right now. Lehner has no experience leading a team down the stretch and into the playoffs. Even Lehtonen with 50% retained salary is not worth it.

I’d imagine Carolina would like to keep Ward as long as they remain in the playoff race.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Yes misspelled, but even for a ONE B goalie, looking for a goalie that can carry team somewhat other than a #1 goalie it's gonna cost a pretty penny, like I said what can the Blackhawks offer????

/Gonna guess CallMeShaft will just look at offers and accept/decline rather em than lay out Chicago's trade bait...which is severely lacking.
Goalies generally don’t have great trade value, especially guys who aren’t established as capable full time starters, so it probably wouldn’t cost a pretty penny.

Also read the OP. He clearly wants names of people who are out there to figure out what the market looks like. He said picks and prospects are available, he doesn’t have to make an offer or provide you with a list of Chicago’s assets. Go find that info yourself. He’s allowed to just accept and decline offers, he’s under no obligation to tell you everything because you don’t know about Chicago’s pipeline. Why are you waiting for him to do everything for you? And how do you know that Chicago’s trade bait is lacking when you had to ask what it is? lol
I havent followed jf berube's 17/2018 season but I suspect since the Glass dude and Forsberg are keeping him out of the conversation he isnt deemed a magic bullet here
. He’s injured, that’s why Glass is up.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I agree, but the Hawks have very few young assets left....i can guarantee that of all the goalies mentiined in here, McBackup would be the cheapest.
And also the worst. They have 2 average backups. They need a better goalie if they intend to compete. And the going rate for these seems to be 2/3rnd picks.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Varlamov 50% retained for a 1st. Expires next year. Worth it just so Chicago doesn't have to play him ever again lol.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
How does Lehtonen make sense lol then we have to trade for another backup goalie. We shouldn't be making any trades right now, and it's likely we resign Lehtonen next year to a team-friendly cheap contract short term

Yeah I agree.... We need Kari for 2 more years at about $1.5M per year. IF they were tempted to trade him, it would be because they want another first when the draft is held in Dallas next year. They may also wonder if Kari really is suitable PO backup/starter when Bishop is injured material base on his past big game failures. And, they could take a chance knowing (wink, wink) that they will bring him back next year. Only problem is Bishop may need some rest.

I wish we weren't at least a year away from having our prospects ready for the NHL. Otherwise, a tempting deal.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Hutch would be a good fit, if Winnipeg doesn't keep him buried out of spite...
This sounds like the way to go. One of the best AHL goaltenders right now, reasonable age and most importantly for the Hawks CHEAP!. I’d say a 4th but knowing little Stan’s trading history he will overpay.

Reactions: CacOBG

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

It makes sense for Chicago, not us.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No way you would get a 1st for Varlamov.
At 50% retention I think it could definitely happen. Probably not Chicago who would use him as a backup. But if a playoff contender was in desperate need of a starting goalie I could definitely see them trading a 1st (maybe with a condition based on success that could turn it into a 2nd). NYI comes to mind if they're looking playoff bound come deadline time.

edit: I didn't realize Crawford is potentially done for the year. So no they wouldn't use him as a backup.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Is Lehner done as a starter? He’s not taking Crawford’s job. Salary would also be an issue.
Lehner has played really well this season for some stretches. Has finally been able to win games for us. The problem is that he has ups and downs and Ullmark looks like our starter for the future.

Lehner is a RFA. You could trade for him and then get a return for him after this season if you can’t work out a long term deal.

NoExpert

Apr 10, 2017
Anderson? Proven playoff performer and would likely want a run at the cup before retiring. Not sure if Ottawa wants to lose him though

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think the Devils are ready to shop him just yet but what would Chicago offer for Keith Kinkaid? We need defense, picks are still valuable to us as well although a player that can help sooner rather than later is preferred. No to Seabrook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad