Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He's cheerful...
490559566-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-gettyimages.jpg

...now he WANTS TO MURDER YOU!
virtanenhitstars.gif

(Last Part was over 1,000 posts. Continue here)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He also happened to eat an elbow/forearm himself...
gotta watch out for the little noggin hits he takes... those will add up on him.

He looks big out there on the ice. Looks bigger than his listed 6'1.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
26 hits in 7 games for Virtanen. Had he played all of the team's 10 games, he'd likely be among the league leaders.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I love how in that gif he has zero interest in the puck. Stick straight in the air, doesn't even look at the thing.

Straight murder.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm undecided on Virtanen - he can clearly play at this level.

He's played 8 games now. It would have been nice if we could have delayed the decision on Virtanen until Higgins was back, but he very likely plays vs. Philly on Monday night. So for Jake, decision time is before Wednesday (Pittsburgh), or if they sit him one game, Buffalo on Friday.

Long term, how much ice time and in what role does Virtanen play when Higgins and Prust are healthy? If he's not playing at least 10 - 12 minutes per game, he should go back to junior. If he is playing these minutes, at whose expense is it?

Based on the first 8 games, he has had more of an impact than Baertschi. When Higgins and Prust are healthy there is no room on the 23 man roster for passengers. I think at this point Baertschi would clear waivers, but if he doesn't, he will get another shot with a team that will have to play him.

But if the team is committed to a longer look at Baertschi or if they keep him on the roster because they think he won't clear waivers, then Jake has to go back to Junior.

The other players in the mix are Gaunce and Cracknell. Cracknell is not competing for the same role, but for a 23 man roster spot. Gaunce basically earned a spot out of training camp, but was sent down so that they could evaluate McCann and Virtanen.

Personally, at this point I would try to pass Baertschi through waivers.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Virtanen brings an exciting element to the team, he is a rare physical specimen that will take longer to develop and harness.

I am extremely happy with the mix of Virtanen + McCann. McCann is a skilled goal scorer while Virtanen is a power forward which are two qualities that every team needs to have. McCann can change the game with a big goal and Virtanen can change the game with either a big hit or a goal.

This is unrelated but for everyone who circle jerks around Larkin, I'd rather have McCann, he's faster and has a better shot.

The Jesus*

I like that he hits. I really do. But when regarding the 6th overall pick, there isn't a thing in existence I care less about than whether or not that pick hits and plays "heavy".

The guy has very low IQ, and no natural offensive instincts to speak of. The only reason he did good in juniors was because of his physical abilities. His size, speed, and strength. Those can get you by in junior, hell, even get you to the top of the 1st round (*cough* Torres *cough*), but it doesn't suffice in the NHL. You need a head on your shoulders or you'll never succeed in the big leagues.

But yeah. He hits. Whatever. At least we got McCann, so that draft wasn't a complete waste.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I like that he hits. I really do. But when regarding the 6th overall pick, there isn't a thing in existence I care less about than whether or not that pick hits and plays "heavy".

The guy has very low IQ, and no natural offensive instincts to speak of. The only reason he did good in juniors was because of his physical abilities. His size, speed, and strength. Those can get you by in junior, hell, even get you to the top of the 1st round (*cough* Torres *cough*), but it doesn't suffice in the NHL. You need a head on your shoulders or you'll never succeed in the big leagues.

But yeah. He hits. Whatever. At least we got McCann, so that draft wasn't a complete waste.

I disagree. I totally thought he was over his head when the kid line was a thing but i think his offensive game is coming around playing on a line with Sutter and Burrows. He's making a lot more attempts to be involved in the play which is good to see.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I disagree. I totally thought he was over his head when the kid line was a thing but i think his offensive game is coming around playing on a line with Sutter and Burrows. He's making a lot more attempts to be involved in the play which is good to see.

I disagree. I don't think anyone can make a proper assessment of a player who's getting 5 minutes of ice-time in a game.

But I do think he's playing well on his current line. He could stand to have a better C to help him with his scoring touch. Sutter just isn't a playmaker.

The Jesus*

I disagree. I don't think anyone can make a proper assessment of a player who's getting 5 minutes of ice-time in a game.

But I do think he's playing well on his current line. He could stand to have a better C to help him with his scoring touch. Sutter just isn't a playmaker.

He doesn't have any confidence. Look at the swagger McCann has. He's so confident that he'll go out there and try things. Make a mistake, then come right back and do the exact same thing again to prove a point. He's got moxxy, and he's not afraid of doing the wrong thing. He believes in his abilities as an NHL player.

While I worry Virtanen's problems are because he's a dolt, he is very clearly lacking confidence. He's tentative and apprehensive out there. Virtanen is playing like a kid trying to not get cut, not like a kid who believes he belongs. And that should prove to everyone that he is clearly not ready.

Send him down. I mean, he hasn't even dominated at the junior level let. This is the kinda prospect we gotta be super patient with. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those guys who really doesn't pick it up til his mid 20's.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

We knew he was an up and down, straight line power winger from the get go. If you're expecting him to demonstrate some high hockey IQ as a 19 year old in his first month in the league.... :facepalm:

I'm happy with Jake and proud of how solid he has been so far.

Virt>>>>Kassian

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Usually I'm a believer in "hitting means you don't have the puck" but Jake's been able to maintain good possession results (probably due to playing with good drivers) still think another year of junior would do him good.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He doesn't have any confidence. Look at the swagger McCann has. He's so confident that he'll go out there and try things. Make a mistake, then come right back and do the exact same thing again to prove a point. He's got moxxy, and he's not afraid of doing the wrong thing. He believes in his abilities as an NHL player.

While I worry Virtanen's problems are because he's a dolt, he is very clearly lacking confidence. He's tentative and apprehensive out there. Virtanen is playing like a kid trying to not get cut, not like a kid who believes he belongs. And that should prove to everyone that he is clearly not ready.

Send him down. I mean, he hasn't even dominated at the junior level let. This is the kinda prospect we gotta be super patient with. I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of those guys who really doesn't pick it up til his mid 20's.

How do you know that? Do you know him personally? Have you ever had a conversation with him? Or are you simply taking a message board narrative and projecting it as if it were real life?

If Virtanen is tentative and afraid to make a mistake, maybe it's because he's afraid that if he makes one mistake he'll be benched like WD has done to him so many times this season?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

He's played 8 games now. It would have been nice if we could have delayed the decision on Virtanen until Higgins was back, but he very likely plays vs. Philly on Monday night. So for Jake, decision time is before Wednesday (Pittsburgh), or if they sit him one game, Buffalo on Friday.

Long term, how much ice time and in what role does Virtanen play when Higgins and Prust are healthy? If he's not playing at least 10 - 12 minutes per game, he should go back to junior. If he is playing these minutes, at whose expense is it?

Based on the first 8 games, he has had more of an impact than Baertschi. When Higgins and Prust are healthy there is no room on the 23 man roster for passengers. I think at this point Baertschi would clear waivers, but if he doesn't, he will get another shot with a team that will have to play him.

But if the team is committed to a longer look at Baertschi or if they keep him on the roster because they think he won't clear waivers, then Jake has to go back to Junior.

The other players in the mix are Gaunce and Cracknell. Cracknell is not competing for the same role, but for a 23 man roster spot. Gaunce basically earned a spot out of training camp, but was sent down so that they could evaluate McCann and Virtanen.

I would just send Cracknell down. He's been a 5c with the play of McCann and at RW Hansen Dorsett and Virtanen give us more.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata......no brainer their rolling.

Baertschi Sutter Burrows....I'm of the opinion that Sven needs to step up and grab this spot....if not then let's get him outta here....not a bottom 6 player at all.

Higgins Horvat Hansen.....Higgy can help get Bo going plus the guy really needs some stability and support from his linemates which has been a gong show of inconsistency so far.

Gaunce McCann Dorsett Virtanen....basically Dorsett and 2 rookies until Prust comes back at which time Gaunce can go back to Utica. Gives a valuable day off to McCann and Virtanen every 3rd game for rest and recovery. McCann time to grow and not wear down and Jake to recover from his punishing hit pace which will catch up to him from time to time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would be more than ok with burning an ELC yr at thus point. We need a larger sample size of evaluation for this kid.
He got a couple of assists now in his last 3.. and looks like there's a home for him along side Sutter and Burrows.
See how he does going forward upto game 39 or World Jr's. . I.e. consider the Draisaitl model from last yr. Send him down before burning a RFA yr if he doesn't make strides offensively.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Well if all players stopped developing at their 19th birthday I would 100% agree with you.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012

I think that would be a huge mistake as he would be picked up. Baer is one of a few playmakers on the team and has very good possession stats. He would be terrific on a line with McCann, who is a sniper (unlike Horvat who needs guys that play the boards and forecheck heavily).

You don't risk losing a guy like Baer when you have waiver exempt players on the team. Gaunce is not going to make or break the Canucks. There will be plenty of opportunities for him to play with the inevitable injuries.

Regarding Jake; I would like to see him stay for the 39? game limit and then sent down after WJC. No need to burn a year of RFA with this guy.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I love how in that gif he has zero interest in the puck. Stick straight in the air, doesn't even look at the thing.

Straight murder.

We've needed a predatory hitter since Torres left. I'm glad we have one without Torres' rep.

Virtanen makes us hard to play against.

Having an enforcer isn't a deterrent to guys like Virt. There's nothing an opposing team can do if Virt decides he's gonna run their guys.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I don't think Jake's played too well the last couple of games. He'll be really good long term, but maybe another year of junior wouldn't hurt, so he gets more confidence in his offensive game. Calgary certainly has defensemen who can get him the puck this year.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

This low hockey IQ thing came from Craig Button, whose opinions are designed to stir the pot in order to sell a product.

Virtanen plays a very confident game. It takes confidence to run over players the way he has several times in his first 8 games.

For a rookie forward, the priorities are:
  1. Don't hurt the team defensively
  2. Make an impact when you are on the ice
  3. Contribute offensively

He's managed the first 2 and is starting to show signs of the 3rd.

He's got as many points as Ryan Kesler. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad